advertisement

Your albums of the year '22

I remember years ago on some music show that I can’t remember, a rather snarky young women skewered the lyrics of David Byrne. She basically said that he just makes obvious statements & repeats them.

Most of Talking Heads output now ruined.

Following that link, Amazon tells me I bought that album on 30 Aug 2012. Which is about 5 years further in the past than I would have guessed.

It's mad. I often look at release dates of albums I've bought and compare them with say, Beatles albums and punk, or punk and Beasties Boys and there is no way it makes any sense in my tiny little mind.

Lots of great albums mentioned above, I'll add
Electronics:
The Utopia Strong - International Treasure. Saw them live for the first time this year too, really good.
Bitchin Bajas - Bajascillators. Very trippy mix of analogue synths and other instruments.

From the Gondwana Records school of not-quite-jazz:
Svaneborg Kardyb - Over Tage
Jasmine Myra - Horizons
Portico Quartet - Terrain (Live)
and also from Gondwana, definitely jazz:
Matthew Halsall - The Temple Within and Changing Earth. Less restrained than some of his recent releases and better for it.

Something completely different:
Jeb Loy Nichols - United States of the Broken Hearted. Soulful, understated Americana with a powerful message. The title track is probably my song of the year.
Bobby Weir and Wolf Bros - Live in Colorado, Vol 2. Weir bringing something fresh to the repertoire, complementing his ever-more-idiosyncratic guitar with horns and strings and he's still got the voice.

I would guess my most-played albums this year, both with several mentions already:
Horace Andy - Midnight Rockers / Scorchers
Kokoroko - Could We Be More
and the Weir album just mentioned.

EDIT I've just noticed that all the albums above except Weir came from Bandcamp. Support the artists!

EDIT I've just noticed that all the albums above except Weir came from Bandcamp. Support the artists!

So many of my purchases do these days. I’m currently spinning Ishmael Ensemble’s Versions Of Light, a limited edition of just 70 copies! Might still be a couple left too. Great stuff, kind of jazzy trip-hop.

So many of my purchases do these days. I’m currently spinning Ishmael Ensemble’s Versions Of Light, a limited edition of just 70 copies! Might still be a couple left too. Great stuff, kind of jazzy trip-hop.

How did you hear about that? My main issue is knowing about stuff. I've missed all sorts this year that I had no clue about.

How did you hear about that? My main issue is knowing about stuff. I've missed all sorts this year that I had no clue about.

In this case Ishmael Ensemble were featured a couple of years ago on a British Jazz program on BBC 4 along with Nubya Garcia, Matthew Halsall, Sarathay Korwar and others. I knew of Nubya and a few others at that point, but IE were new to me so I bought an album and as ever subscribed to notifications on Bandcamp. That was a bloody expensive TV show, I think I’d spent £100 before the end credits went up!

This year has been really good, I’ve landed a lot of very limited stuff, to the point I now look at 500 as a large issue! This is definitely the way to get the cool stuff these days, RSD is crap, just ignore it. The good stuff is on Bandcamp or certain specific shop exclusives e.g. Rough Trade, Bleep etc. Just get it to land in your inbox and move fast if something takes your eye. As someone who has been buying records for well over 40 years this current era is serving up many of the most limited records I own. How that translates to long-term collectability and desirability I have no idea, but my suspicion is at least some of it will end up being the equivalent of those rare as hens teeth non-big name Vertigo ‘swirl’ prog albums, the real DIY punk and new-wave singles etc. I love the current music scene, and I’ve got sufficient disposable income to buy what I want in a way I really struggled to in my own time. I’ve even got a shop for the stuff I find I don’t connect with (I still only buy stuff I like/think I’ll like new, I don’t buy Bandcamp stuff deliberately to flip).

Binker Golding - Dream Like a Dogwood Wild Boy
Espen Erickson Trio - In The Mountains
Snarky Puppy - Empire Central
Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa
Alt-J - Dream
Thanks for the reminder about Binker Golding, I just pulled it out and played it again. A really good album.

In this case Ishmael Ensemble were featured a couple of years ago on a British Jazz program on BBC 4 along with Nubya Garcia, Matthew Halsall, Sarathay Korwar and others. I knew of Nubya and a few others at that point, but IE were new to me so I bought an album and as ever subscribed to notifications on Bandcamp. That was a bloody expensive TV show, I think I’d spent £100 before the end credits went up!

This year has been really good, I’ve landed a lot of very limited stuff, to the point I now look at 500 as a large issue! This is definitely the way to get the cool stuff these days, RSD is crap, just ignore it. The good stuff is on Bandcamp or certain specific shop exclusives e.g. Rough Trade, Bleep etc. Just get it to land in your inbox and move fast if something takes your eye. As someone who has been buying records for well over 40 years this current era is serving up many of the most limited records I own. How that translates to long-term collectability and desirability I have no idea, but my suspicion is at least some of it will end up being the equivalent of those rare as hens teeth non-big name Vertigo ‘swirl’ prog albums, the real DIY punk and new-wave singles etc. I love the current music scene, and I’ve got sufficient disposable income to buy what I want in a way I really struggled to in my own time. I’ve even got a shop for the stuff I find I don’t connect with (I still only buy stuff I like/think I’ll like new, I don’t buy Bandcamp stuff deliberately to flip).
Bandcamp is great, I’ve discovered some great Norwegian jazz via We Jazz label. There’s a sentence I never thought I’d write.

Actually forgot about Nubya Garcia, think I have her last album. I tend to buy downloads via Bandcamp & CDs from Amazon, mainly down to cost of postage. I’m no longer as interested in future values as I’ve done very well out appreciation over the last 30 years.

I remembered something I meant to mention in this years AOTY.

Modern Nature, island of Noise.

technically released last December, so missed my last years list, but I’ve listed to this a lot in 2022, and I think some of you will really like it If you missed it.

Man, this is going to be tough...it was a hell of a year for me musically.

In no particular order:

The Future Sound of London - Rituals E7.001 and A Space of Partial Illumination E7.002 (grouped together as related)

Sarah Davachi - Two Sisters and In Concert & In Residence (grouped together as related)

Scanner - An Ascent

Holy Fawn - Dimensional Bleed

Grivo - Omit

Katelyn Clark & Isaiah Ceccarelli - Landmarks

Kali Malone - Living Torch

Ákos Rózmann - MASS / MÄSSA

Josten Myburgh - Scalthorpe Studies

Klaus Lang - Tehran Dust

Peter Conradin Zumthor - Things Are Going Down for Piano Player and Piano Tuner

Howlround - TRESSPASS & WELFARE

Man, this is going to be tough...it was a hell of a year for me musically.

In no particular order:

The Future Sound of London - Rituals E7.001 and A Space of Partial Illumination E7.002 (grouped together as related)

Sarah Davachi - Two Sisters and In Concert & In Residence (grouped together as related)

Scanner - An Ascent

Holy Fawn - Dimensional Bleed

Grivo - Omit

Katelyn Clark & Isaiah Ceccarelli - Landmarks

Kali Malone - Living Torch

Ákos Rózmann - MASS / MÄSSA

Josten Myburgh - Scalthorpe Studies

Klaus Lang - Tehran Dust

Peter Conradin Zumthor - Things Are Going Down for Piano Player and Piano Tuner

Howlround - TRESSPASS & WELFARE

That's a great list - quite a few things o I've not come across which is now in a queue on Spotify/ Qobuz
I played Sarah Davachi's Two Sisters last night - quite beautiful

I bought mainly reissues or first issues of of music recorded much earlier in time that did not get a proper release like the 3 Eric Klineschuster double albums recorded by ORF.

I’m sneaking 3 releases in from the end couple months of 21 as the vinyl didn’t here till just about 22.
Bill Charlap Trio - Street Of Dreams
William Parker & Mathew Shipp - Mothership
Mathew Shipp - Codebreaker ( Solo Piano)
Actually released in 22
Cecile McLorin Salvant - Ghost Song
The 3 Charles Lloyd Trio Albums from which I would pick - Ocean as the standout.

However good a record Alt-J make I still just hear this.

What I hear is two blokes with a tiny amount of musical ability doing a shite pastiche of Alt-J, with an undercurrent of jealousy that they wouldn’t be able to come up with something as special as An Awesome Wave even if they had an infinite number of monkeys (including themselves) and an infinite amount of time with which to do so.

What I hear is two blokes with a tiny amount of musical ability doing a shite pastiche of Alt-J, with an undercurrent of jealousy that they wouldn’t be able to come up with something as special as An Awesome Wave even if they had an infinite number of monkeys (including themselves) and an infinite amount of time with which to do so.

Lol it's two young blokes having laugh with a 4 track.

advertisement

Back