advertisement

Your albums of the year '22

I do wonder if 2022 will be better appreciated in a few years time? There have been a lot of very good records, almost too many so it will take a while to assimilate.

I do wonder if 2022 will be better appreciated in a few years time? There have been a lot of very good records, almost too many so it will take a while to assimilate.

Yes, that’s my view. It will take some time for me to really get to grips with all I’ve bought, and some stuff is certainly heading towards the pfm shop, but there have also been some really great albums that I know will remain in regular play. There are actually a lot of things I need to add to my list e.g this stunningly good album from Fractal Sextet (no idea why it is so dear here, I think I bought mine from Bandcamp). Anyway its a superb example of whatever the hell it is. Folk who like Nik Bartsch & Ronin will likely like it. Features wonderful Israeli drummer Yogev Gabay of teh YouTubes.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve been really taken with the portico quartet terrain live album. It just seems to make more sense at this length and recorded live. Lovely recording and pressing as well, although questionable packaging!

For some reason with the vinyl they’ve sealed up the 2nd gatefold, so you have to squeeze both records into the front gatefold. I did ask why and the response was to maintain the integrity of the packaging? I did point out this is potentially risking the integrity of the vinyl…

According to The Guardian and 20 of the 55 respondents on Metacritic the Beyonce record is the years best. The next nearest got 5. I cant recall a record being that far ahead of the end of year field before.

I've not heard any of it: I'm not sure it's made for me.

I was interested in the interviews at the end of this piece on( the other) Steve Lacy

‘My mom thinks I’m doing drugs but I’m at home baking cookies’: Steve Lacy on his breakout year | Music | The Guardian

They're all under 20 - which is how it should be, I guess. Not that us older fans cant have preferences as well, of course, but we are an ever shrinking niche.

According to The Guardian and 20 of the 55 respondents on Metacritic the Beyonce record is the years best. The next nearest got 5. I cant recall a record being that far ahead of the end of year field before.

I was interested in the interviews at the end of this piece on( the other) Steve Lacy

‘My mom thinks I’m doing drugs but I’m at home baking cookies’: Steve Lacy on his breakout year | Music | The Guardian

They're all under 20 - which is how it should be, I guess. Not that us older fans cant have preferences as well, of course, but we are an ever shrinking niche.

Who's Rudolph's favourite singer?

Been listening to that Steve Lacy album since it came out, it's deffo on my list. Beyonce not my thing but I've nothing against her or the music.

The missing free 7” single for the 4AD shop limited edition of Dry Cleaning’s Stumpwork finally turned up today. Just made it in the same year the album was released!

Bought the black vinyl on release and the digital pack for the 3 extra tracks that weren't included and played it to death. Loved it to bits. But, the Dolby Atmos mix was an itch. Was it worth it? Oh yes indeed. The Bluray Atmos mix is just about one of the best things I've ever heard in my whole entire life. It's bloody brilliant. Album of the year here. By a long chalk.

kDPa2Iw.jpg

Been listening to that Steve Lacy album since it came out, it's deffo on my list. Beyonce not my thing but I've nothing against her or the music.

I'm very much hoping someone in his team is searching for a rapper called Mal Waldron or similar to collaborate with just to perplex aging jazzers

Is there another example of two famous musicians having the same name? I think jazz Steve Lacy's estate should get involved and insist R&B Steve Lacy changes the spelling or inserts an initial in the middle to avoid confusion. Given the nature of litigation in the US I'm sure they've already been contacted with a few offers to represent them.

I'm very much hoping someone in his team is searching for a rapper called Mal Waldron or similar to collaborate with just to perplex aging jazzers

Is there another example of two famous musicians having the same name? I think jazz Steve Lacy's estate should get involved and insist R&B Steve Lacy changes the spelling or inserts an initial in the middle to avoid confusion. Given the nature of litigation in the US I'm sure they've already been contacted with a few offers to represent them.

I'd not heard of the other one!

Deep Cuts is back with his albums of the year. I like his reviews as unlike a lot of other reviewers I actually get a good idea if I am going to like the album from his comments. As ever terrific range of styles on the music he talks about so something for everyone including your Gran with her deep love for Scottish radical communist death metal :)

1. Wet Leg - Wet Leg
2. The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention
3. Black Country New Road - Ants From Up There
4. Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork
5. Yard Act - The Overload
6. Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia
7. Suede - Autofiction
8. Jack White - Entering Heaven Alive
9. Horsegirl - Versions Of Modern Performance
10. Bjork - Fossora

advertisement

Back