advertisement

Your albums of the year '22

Nah, too many folk of whatever age looking to run anything they can down. Gets on my wick. Go do something useful or shut up.

It very obviously just poking a bit of gentle fun and comes from a place of love. Also Alt-J famously got the joke and changed their Twitter picture to a rice cake when it went viral.

Their band also has released three albums now and are pretty good, although obviously your mileage may vary.

It very obviously just poking a bit of gentle fun and comes from a place of love. Also Alt-J famously got the joke and changed their Twitter picture to a rice cake when it went viral.

Their band also has released three albums now and are pretty good, although obviously your mileage may vary.

Fair enough, I’ve obviously taken it in the wrong spirit. Thanks for putting me right. :)

Cousin Kula - Double Dinners
The Comet Is Coming - Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam
Bonnie Raitt - Just Like That...
Kathryn Williams - Night Drives
My Baby - Sake Sake Sake
Svaneborg Kardyb – Over Tage
Port Erin - Buildings People Money
Vieux Farka Touré & Khruangbin – Ali
GoGo Penguin - Between Two Waves (EP)
Pocket Sun - Binocular (EP)

For the first time i'm struggling to come up with a list. There have been some records I've enjoyed but I'm not sure they belong on a best of list. They're quite good but not really anything to get super excited about.

The best music I've heard this year has mainly been reissues that were new to me. The only exceptions have been the two Mary Halverson records ( Amaryllis and Belladona) and Makaya McCravens' In These Times. The Kokoroco record is good but maybe not, for me, quite "best of" material, the Florist album continues to grow on me....

The new Bjork is good but not as good as her best, the Big Thief record is good but not as good as the last two, the Matthew Halsall records were good but not as good as previous records... I may be getting out of touch / a little jaded / just harder to please.

That said, I'm sure there will be some discoveries in the end of year lists. I'm only heard Oren Armbachi's Shebang once and think that may become a retrospective contender.

I'm very much hoping there are some really fine records from 2022 but I've just not heard then yet. It wont be the first time that's happened.

Suede-Autofiction

A surprisingly good album from the sometimes patchy output of later years.

Very "punchy" piece of work, Brett Anderson's vocals searing and soaring to an extent unexpected of a man his age.

Feels like quite a brave attempt, but also has the feel of a swansong to me. Hopefully not, but if it is their final album, a great way to go out.

I thought this had flown under the radar, but have already spotted it on at least two Best-of-Year lists.

For the first time i'm struggling to come up with a list. There have been some records I've enjoyed but I'm not sure they belong on a best of list. They're quite good but not really anything to get super excited about.

The best music I've heard this year has mainly been reissues that were new to me. The only exceptions have been the two Mary Halverson records ( Amaryllis and Belladona) and Makaya McCravens' In These Times. The Kokoroco record is good but maybe not, for me, quite "best of" material, the Florist album continues to grow on me....

The new Bjork is good but not as good as her best, the Big Thief record is good but not as good as the last two, the Matthew Halsall records were good but not as good as previous records... I may be getting out of touch / a little jaded / just harder to please.

That said, I'm sure there will be some discoveries in the end of year lists. I'm only heard Oren Armbachi's Shebang once and think that may become a retrospective contender.

I'm very much hoping there are some really fine records from 2022 but I've just not heard then yet. It wont be the first time that's happened.

I look forward to your list kjb. Let's hope you find some more :)

Restricting myself to 2 reissues, but they're big ones: Iannis Xenakis Electroacoustic Works, and Ornette Coleman Round Trip.

My favourite new releases this year were both ones I missed on vinyl because I thought I'd heard enough of that kind of thing: Kali Malone's Living Torch and Oren Ambarchi's Shebang.

Also enjoyed Ambarchi's other release, Ghosted; Sarah Davachi's Two Sisters, Charles Lloyd's Ocean, Alabaster DePlume's Gold, Pole's Tempus, Carmen Villain's Only Love from Now On, CS+Kreme's Orange. Not an album, but Shackleton's The Majestic Yes was his best record in ages.

I do see where KJB's coming from in that I don't think any of those are exactly earth shaking, I'm just really enjoying them.

Interesting looking around at the various label/record shop end of year lists- I find there is usually some consensus amongst them but this year it seems quite random, albums that rank high on some lists don't even make it on to others at all which is a bit odd.

Interesting looking around at the various label/record shop end of year lists- I find there is usually some consensus amongst them but this year it seems quite random, albums that rank high on some lists don't even make it on to others at all which is a bit odd.
This is very true. I think there have been a lot of very good to excellent albums but perhaps not one which the critics have gathered around.

My copy of Yeule’s Glitch Princess finally turned up earlier after about a week and a half in the mail. Thankfully fully unscathed by the experience. A really cool, strange and unique album. I’m liking it a lot. Definitely on the ‘best of year’ list.

PS The clear copy from Rough Trade was a little dished and crackly on first play, but it has quietened down substantially after a couple of cleans and is sounding superb now, it is a very good cut. I’m not a huge fan of clear vinyl, I often find it is noisier than other more opaque colours (obviously including black). The Amazon one I linked to (they pay me!) will almost certainly be green (I don’t think there is a black), which I suspect may be a better bet even if not as limited.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not a vintage year 2 standouts for me
The Smile a light for attracting attention
Eddie Vedder Earthling

NOT TiGHT - DOMi & JD BECK

Maybe not the best of the year, but no-one has mentioned it yet. Enjoyable if not hugely original. File under "Squarepusher plays tunes". Don't be discouraged by the cover photo.

I agree with the view that 2022 wasn't a great year for stunningly good LPs. I particularly enjoyed 'Everything Was Beautiful' by Spiritualized. Another album that I really enjoyed was 'The Sea Drift' by The Delines.

advertisement

Back