advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

Oh heck ... is this starting to lose momentum after all this time .?.. let me throw this in for good measure:

https://jcat.eu/improve-sound-quality-streaming-services-tidal-qobuz/
Footastic...:):p

I mean there are some practical points in there, if your WiFi is bad then wire up, if you have a very slow internet connection stop downloading stuff at the same time, only practical from the point of data delivery, dropouts and clicks from packet loss...not rocket science though.

Well audiophile network switches still have a lot of treaction out there in the real world. Stuck the EE8 on fleabay Sunday night and it sold with 3 hours, I wonder how long the buyer will be fooled into believing the hype before he comes to his senses and sells it on. Must admit I only kept it so long as I did as I was too bloody idle to pull it out, re-jig my wiring and write the advert.

Well audiophile network switches still have a lot of treaction out there in the real world. Stuck the EE8 on fleabay Sunday night and it sold with 3 hours, I wonder how long the buyer will be fooled into believing the hype before he comes to his senses and sells it on. Must admit I only kept it so long as I did as I was too bloody idle to pull it out, re-jig my wiring and write the advert.
Obviously you weren't listening hard enough, or you've not been trained to listen. :) :(:D

I hadn't seen these before - special RJ45 dust caps to make your hi-fi sound better. EUR 100 per pack of six. Wish I'd thought of that.

Using a special process, which has incorporated our 30 years of experience in the optimization of audiophile audio components, the material receives a special formatting information. The formatted material brings about that electromagnetic frequencies are harmonized and electromagnetic pollution (electro smog) is minimized.
The sound gets more depth and three-dimensionality. The timing gains precision and the dynamics are increased. Altogether the tuning with AQVOX formatted accessories brings considerably more naturalness and emotionality. The music sounds less canned and gets more live character. Normally, the tonality is not being affected. The sound does not become brighter or darker.

https://www.myhifishop.de/Voodoo-Co...aps-LAN-Caps-Network-Decontamination::79.html

I hadn't seen these before - special RJ45 dust caps to make your hi-fi sound better. EUR 100 per pack of six. Wish I'd thought of that.

Using a special process, which has incorporated our 30 years of experience in the optimization of audiophile audio components, the material receives a special formatting information. The formatted material brings about that electromagnetic frequencies are harmonized and electromagnetic pollution (electro smog) is minimized.
The sound gets more depth and three-dimensionality. The timing gains precision and the dynamics are increased. Altogether the tuning with AQVOX formatted accessories brings considerably more naturalness and emotionality. The music sounds less canned and gets more live character. Normally, the tonality is not being affected. The sound does not become brighter or darker.

https://www.myhifishop.de/Voodoo-Co...aps-LAN-Caps-Network-Decontamination::79.html

She got diamonds on the inside (Ben Harper)

But you still use a switch, right, just not an audiophile one?

A lot of posters here have asserted ad nauseum that no network switch can do anything for sound quality, never mind an audiophile one.

Voodoo seems quite appropriate.

75 pages of it - be my guest :p
75 pages of "proof"? 75 pages of assertions, I think you'll find.

I don't think I recall anyone here posting any proof (do re-post if I'm mistaken), just 75 pages of people insisting that others do so. Funny old world.

75 pages of "proof"? 75 pages of assertions, I think you'll find.

I don't think I recall anyone here posting any proof (do re-post if I'm mistaken), just 75 pages of people insisting that others do so. Funny old world.
Oh proof was post up thread that there wasn't anything in the audio band, but then we moved to not listening correctly...sigh :)

But you can certainly hear a difference even playing it on my crappie tablet, plus the guy is normally OK when it comes to his reviews.
So I guess you take it how you want

But you can certainly hear a difference even playing it on my crappie tablet, plus the guy is normally OK when it comes to his reviews.
So I guess you take it how you want

I have only watched the JCAT switch video so far up to and including the sound of the crowd clips. I was listening (on an ipad) whilst looking out of my window so I had not realised that he identified on screen when the switch was in the system so I had no visual clue as to which was which. Yet even just with the ipad speakers I identified which clip was which. I agree the guy is normally OK and in his reviews he does pretty good recordings of the system with and without the product being reviewed for the viewer to make up their own mind at home. It was the difference in the clapping that I first heard. Without the switch it was more of a mush, with the switch it sounded like clapping. Again, I was listening whilst not looking at the screen because we have just had a most amazing dawn here so that had my full visual attention.

Some people have their foo alert permanently wound all the way up to 11 and the noise of that seems to obscure any chance of them having an open mind. On the other hand they might just be late night sun over the yardarm rants.

I was sufficiently intrigued to look around and saw this review of the same switch.

https://darko.audio/2018/03/for-the-audiophile-who-has-everything-telegartners-m12-switch-gold/

His opening paragraph made me smile (and it will no doubt make some splutter their morning cornflakes over the table).

Everything matters – to some, a notion so obvious that it’s hardly worth the keyboard press. To others, a contentious proposition that results in calls for measurements and double-blind (ABX) testing but – here’s the kicker – only for certain components. Demands that reviewers conduct ABX testing and/or measurements should apply to all components and not just those bracketed by movable goalposts with a crossbar that reads ‘controversial’.”

Indeed, why is it that the foo police do not seem to mind discussions regarding the sound of speakers, or amplifiers or cartridges or other things with never a mention of demands for ABX testing and yet for some items it is their full on kneejerk keyboard warrior reaction?

His third paragraph will have the warriors reaching for their keyboards before they can splutter their coffee to follow the previously spluttered cornflakes.

Furthermore, I won’t ask if you believe in audible differences between digital cables? The B-word suggests an unnecessary leap of faith that’s all too easily side-stepped by trying things out for yourself. Instead, I ask: have you experienced audible differences between digital cables? Because, y’know, experience matters.”

His comments with specific listening examples echo the sort of differences I hear with my Innuos PhoenixNET,

Next we ask: in what way does Telegärtner’s network device alter the sound? Answer: the stereo image takes half a step back for an even greater dose of ease; and from all types of music.

Extended listening reveals even more. Robert Leiner’s Visions of the Past wears a richer midbass, casting the Swedes electronica as less emotionally detached and more homely. A little more soundstage depth from Global Communication’s 76:14 really opens up one’s ears (and third eye) to the album’s Blade Runner / Vangelis core.

Also notable was an uptick in tone density and acoustic mass on The Decemberists’ The Crane Wife, an indie-pop album that can sound wiry when heard via low/er quality digital front ends. The M12 sees our high-end streamer/DAC combo more generous toward poorer quality source material by infusing it with a greater sense of micro-dynamic elasticity.

Some might hear the addition of the Telegärtner to the signal path as music’s fabric softener. What comes out of the Genelec actives is nicer, gentler and – for hot masters like The The’s Soul Mining – less grating in the long run. Quite astonishing give the already superb starting point
.”

I guess that will be the final straw and some will now be having to lie down in a darkened room whilst they allow their rage to subside.

People don't ask for abx tests of speakers and cartridges because they have such wide variance and high distortion that the idea of accuracy doesn't exist, people just have to buy what they like when the choices all have 1-5% distortion.

Whereas, amplifiers and dacs can provide perfectly audible fidelity, so being able to pick one out based on how it sounds alone can be Impossible, so claims to gross audible differences are rightly dismissed by anyone with a basic understanding of measurement.

advertisement

Back