advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

@Fourlegs has visited me with some his front end. I would describe myself as sceptical but reasonably open minded. I found the differences relatively subtle but sure enough the digital glare was there and masking detail, particularly for me, on detail in cymbals and violin. The difference on a track involving brushwork on cymbals was beyond the possible effects of my imagination and clear and repeatable. Before anyone asks, Nick was out of my vision while comparing and just let me get on with it.

If I had been adamant that there was no glare in my system I have little doubt that I wouldn’t have been able to hear it, there being none so deaf as me if I don’t want to hear!

Of my various speakers we used the pair with the best top end as in the ones that reproduce violins most cleanly and without the harshness that most of my speakers slightly pollute the wonderful but tricky instrument with. I suspect, but may be wrong, that the speaker may have an effect on whether glare is audible in that the harshness from the speaker would cover or disguise the effect of glare. I’m not talking massive speaker problems here and am referring to decent speakers by Meridian, Martin Logan and Kef LS50.

My conclusions, fwiw and with my ears and equipment, the experiment revealed a “glare” that was subtle but having a deleterious effect on the music, albeit one I had quite happily lived with and could possibly live with in the future if required - I think. The improvement on some tracks was beyond “I think it might sound a bit better” and improved the intelligibility of how a musician played, most clearly demonstrated by reverting to the system as was.

With a set of ns1000m with Raal 140-15d replacing the yamaha tweeters, if there's glare we'll hear it.

Flat to 30khz, at least 13khz of which I can't hear...

Start familiarising yourself with the 2l.no mozart violin concerto in d major sample tracks.

With a set of ns1000m with Raal 140-15d replacing the yamaha tweeters, if there's glare we'll hear it.

Flat to 30khz, at least 13khz of which I can't hear...

Start familiarising yourself with the 2l.no mozart violin concerto in d major sample tracks.

It might be worth trying solo instruments as well, maybe solo violin and solo guitar or harpsichord (to get plucked as well as bowed sound).

Learning to recognise artifacts is a double edged sword. I got very good at hearing MP3 defects from my day job and it made listening to a lot of commercial radio and TV very annoying

I agree to a point. It's the crux of being an audiophile.
Normal people can listen to anything, no matter the quality...

Try to avoid getting to the stage that you are focused on listening to the equipment instead of enjoying the music
Absolutely. For that reason, when it comes to assessing equipment I find the most important thing is how much I enjoy the music when not listening to the sound per se. Some things that seem important when analysing the sound become insignificant when enjoying music and some things that sound impressive when listening to the sound can become very irritating when enjoying music. It can make assessing new equipment a lengthy process and one of the prime requirements is that the equipment doesn’t harm my enjoyment of the music.

As an example, I recently gave dirac another whirl and achieved a relatively more “focussed” sound in that the image of musicians was narrower. That’s better, I initially thought but after a while I found the “hifi” effect irritating because whilst impressive in its own right it made the music sound less realistic. I should point out that I mostly listen to acoustic music that could in real life be performed on a stage without amplification or a mixing desk.

Try to avoid getting to the stage that you are focused on listening to the equipment instead of enjoying the music

Early on I was a bit too obsessed with the sound of the system, and really struggled to disable my critical-listening mode. I also fell pray to playing the same audiophile-approved tracks over and over again... It was a time when I devoured the audio mags, but fortunately before forums existed.
I was lucky that life moved me away from hi-fi for a handful of years and since then I hardly ever put my critic's hat on. And I can't think of anything more tedious than A-B comparisons to be honest.

I agree to a point. It's the crux of being an audiophile.
Normal people can listen to anything, no matter the quality...
I guess I’d rather be a normal person then. What’s the advantage of training yourself such that you’ll only be satisfied with the best of the best? Maybe a question for a new thread.

Oh heck ... is this starting to lose momentum after all this time .?.. let me throw this in for good measure:

https://jcat.eu/improve-sound-quality-streaming-services-tidal-qobuz/

Well you started the thread so we have so much to thank you for and yet you give us even more!!

Having now read it, I see that the link you posted is spot on topic for your thread with many bits of handy advice such as,

4. USE HIGH-END NETWORK ADAPTER & SWITCH.
These are the most effective hardware tweaks that will bring the sound quality of network audio to a completely new dimension.

I guess I’d rather be a normal person then. What’s the advantage of training yourself such that you’ll only be satisfied with the best of the best? Maybe a question for a new thread.

As a teenager I recall reading an article about a subscriber's system (complete with cable lifters) where the guy said he could only bear to listen a tiny fraction of recordings because his system showed up the shortcomings in most of them. I looked at my collection of lo-fi death metal and hardcore punk tapes and thought how awful that must be!

Thirty years later I haven't really changed my mind. I still listen to tons of recordings that are most definitely not 'audiophile' quality but that bring me a lot of pleasure.

But yeah, probably a topic for another thread..

So 75 pages of often very heated discussion - and in the end it just boils down to the good old 'Golden Ears' delusion then ......

Reassuringly cliched at least ;)

So 75 pages of often very heated discussion - and in the end it just boils down to the good old 'Golden Ears' delusion then ......

Reassuringly cliched at least ;)
Proof please, to substantiate your rather rude and decidedly subjective assertion. ;)

I'm curious to how that works. I just listen, follow the odd instrument, enjoy the music.

@tuga is there something to read or listen to for more information please?

Ta.

advertisement

Back