advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

Its called product ranging, I spend a reasonable amount of my work day doing just this. Spec building, feature listing, product differentiating, pricing, etc. Its how stuff gets sold, upgrade paths created and lifetime customers won.
It's clearly not evil then! :)

That depends on the Intent and execution..

Drove me bonkers when we tried to get a 43 inch Samsung TV a couple of years ago ... so many subtle variations, even within the same price band.
Their product info online was next to useless as they simply slung together a whole product range in one spec sheet with a bunch of caveats and baffling product numbers for different international areas :mad:
Even the sheet that came with the TV had the same garbled mumbo jumbo .... only way to find out which bits worked was to go through them all.

I swear as well that white goods have different codes for different large retailers so that the user cannot reliably do a comparison.

Oh and EAG dishwashers make my hifi sound better than SMEG.

That depends on the Intent and execution..

Who is the judge of intent? Unless you’re a mind reader it can’t be you and must be the one doing the marketing.

Would you care to give examples of evil and angelic? And to explain the pivotal factors differentiating these?

I’m obviously looking for more than “if I do it, it’s angelic, if I don’t it is probably evil”…

Who is the judge of intent? Unless you’re a mind reader it can’t be you and must be the one doing the marketing.

Would you care to give examples of evil and angelic? And to explain the pivotal factors differentiating these?

I’m obviously looking for more than “if I do it, it’s angelic, if I don’t it is probably evil”…
Isn't all marketing evil to some degree? It is certainly not for consumer's benefit really, it is there to sell stuff into a mature market place and extract money out of consumers' wallets.

So, have we arrived at the end stop for foo hifi? It is just another vein of marketing, the power of consumerism and the weakest of the mind.

Stop yourself, and ask, "can a polished rock on top of a speaker really change the sound of my hifi?". Shake your head. Then relax because you've dodged a marketing bullet.

We are gullible animals...

@flash, 'evil' was your choice of wording. I'd use cynical.

Examples, most healthcare marketing. Right from the day 1 choice to fund the development of treatments over cures.

@flash, 'evil' was your choice of wording. I'd use cynical.

Examples, most healthcare marketing. Right from the day 1 choice to fund the development of treatments over cures.

I've been largely with you in this thread, but having been a pharma researcher for 25 years the guys I worked with worked hard towards and would have loved being able to find cures, but the majority of human ills are exceptionally difficult to cure once they have appeared. The most difficult of those, cancer, has had huge strides made in cure rather than treatment over the past 10-20 years.

I'm sure researchers would prefer a cure, or a high efficacy vaccine, you know like every vaccine before the covid one's.

But that's not what reaches the market, treatments reach the market because there's no money in a cure.

Let's play a game, what are you 3 favourite cures since 1970.

I'm sure researchers would prefer a cure, or a high efficacy vaccine, you know like every

vaccine before the covid one's.

But that's not what reaches the market, treatments reach the market because there's no money in a cure.

Let's play a game, what are you 3 favourite cures since 1970.

Not playing games to show something that a quick Google will find for you. Childhood leukaemias were a definite death sentence 15 years ago and the vast majority are now survivable, immunosuppressants have made cures of many organ failures via transplants possible and many major operations are only possible due to improvements in anaesthesia and post-op care with drugs. Add to that many vaccines, so that illnesses that would have killed many children in the 1970s are virtually eliminated.

and a thought for you - companies are competitive and if 5 companies had a ‘treatment’ and had the market locked in, and we found a cure and could clean up, why would we not go to market?

and a thought for you - companies are competitive and if 5 companies had a ‘treatment’ and had the market locked in, and we found a cure and could clean up, why would we not go to market?
A thought for you: companies hate competition and try to evade or stifle it in many ways. In this instance, the board of company 6, representing the shareholders, might be obliged to accept an advantageous buyout offer for their shares from company 1, gaining great profit immediately, without the effort, delays, and risk of actually marketing the cure.

advertisement

Back