advertisement

CD players with pucks

Piksky

pfm Member
I’ve always fancied trying one, but they’re thin on the ground and (seemingly) all older models nowadays.

Does anyone have a list of models out there that are still available second hand, and why have pucks fallen out of fashion?

I’ve always fancied trying one, but they’re thin on the ground and (seemingly) all older models nowadays.

Does anyone have a list of models out there that are still available second hand, and why have pucks fallen out of fashion?

I have a Mission Cyrus dAD-7 which is an excellent CD player with a puck - top loading multibit design - but the spdif is not working albeit everything else is fine, it even reads CDR's with its swing arm CDM 9/44 mech - I am considering selling it on for £190 (£900 new in 1994). (But I'm also considering getting the spdif out fixed too).

So anyway - that's one for your list.

Project
Pro-Ject-CD-box-RS2-CD-drive-CD-drive-scaled-1.jpg

My Sony CDP-XB930 has a puck. Can be had for cheap second hand.

I've had mine for 20 years now (Richer Sounds grey import job).

Just bought an old Sony 3000ES after many years of not having a dedicated CD player. Drop dead gorgeous top loader with puck. Returns an absolutely luscious sound with coax s/pdif out into the DAC of my Aavik amp. Very happy!

I can't see any advantage in a using a puck. It's merely aesthetic.
My CD player has a clamp which improves stability. Even that probably has little effect in the reading.

I hadn’t realised the big lad was this much bigger (and heavier) until just now...

7-A2-D213-E-D5-B7-4-D6-E-A30-E-D660-BABB5-C8-E.jpg

If anyone would like to make me feel slightly less of a nerd by identifying these, that’d be great.

It's not really a matter of fashion. Top loaders with a sliding cover have to have a puck. Many players are front loaders via a tray, so the clamping is done by other means.

As ever, there are misinformed opinion posts above. A puck is not a gimmick, it's a necessity for a top loading, slide cover player. If anyone thinks they are a 'gimmick', then I suggest they try using a top loading, slide cover player without one.

Pucks aid with rotational stability.

There are very many top loading, puck equipped players available. Have a proper look!

Why? It does nothing for sound quality. It's a gimmick and has no bearing on whether a CD player is good, bad or indifferent.

I think purely because it adds to the physicality of playing a cd. Same as faffing around with a record: it’s part of the process. That’s all.

advertisement

Back