advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I would take a pic and email it to yourself so you have a dated record.
Then you avoid any “we couldn't get a reading” from your meter bollocks.

Seeing as British Gas are incredibly busy, I'll ask this here. If the price cap is set at £2500, so that is the max anyone will pay, and equates to £208.33 per month, not taking into account the £400 assistance, why is our direct debit higher than this? And in fact has been since June (£225), and my account tells me we're going to be £500 in debit at the end of our "plan" (standard variable).

What am I missing?

The messaging on this page also lacks clarity:

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/price-cap.html

"The prime minister has announced a new Energy Price Guarantee that means the average energy bill will be no more than £2500 a year from October 1st for the next two years. That could save the typical household £1000 a year. It comes in addition to the £400 Energy Bills Support Scheme.

A reminder that this is an estimate based on average energy usage. If you use more energy at home your bills will be higher."

That last sentence, to me, implies that bills can be higher than the £2500 cap, which they shouldn't be should they? Or am I being daft?

Seeing as British Gas are incredibly busy, I'll ask this here. If the price cap is set at £2500, so that is the max anyone will pay, and equates to £208.33 per month, not taking into account the £400 assistance, why is our direct debit higher than this? And in fact has been since June (£225), and my account tells me we're going to be £500 in debit at the end of our "plan" (standard variable).

What am I missing?

The messaging on this page also lacks clarity:

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy/price-cap.html

"The prime minister has announced a new Energy Price Guarantee that means the average energy bill will be no more than £2500 a year from October 1st for the next two years. That could save the typical household £1000 a year. It comes in addition to the £400 Energy Bills Support Scheme.

A reminder that this is an estimate based on average energy usage. If you use more energy at home your bills will be higher."

That last sentence, to me, implies that bills can be higher than the £2500 cap, which they shouldn't be should they? Or am I being daft?

The bill isn't capped at £2500. The unit price is capped; you'll still pay more if you use more.

Our PM didn't help by repeating the "£2500 cap" rubbish at least two or three times in every interview yesterday. :-(

Ah, ok, I've completely misunderstood then, and that is what I've missed. Fair enough.

Hell of a lot quicker response than asking BG ;) And probably made more sense as well.

Goes off to do sums based on usage history...

Ok, looks like based on 2021 usage (which was lower than 2020...) we are about 1000 over the "average household" on the new price cap (taking into account the 400 as well). Just shipped one leech off to university though, so that should help out a bit.

Ah, ok, I've completely misunderstood then, and that is what I've missed. Fair enough.

Hell of a lot quicker response than asking BG ;) And probably made more sense as well.

Goes off to do sums based on usage history...

Don't worry James, you aren't the only one. Martin Lewis has been all over twitter these past couple of days fighting the same fires from people who were in the same boat. They should have never mentioned this bloody £2500.

It doesn’t help that utility companies are sending out messages that they are reducing the DD because of the £66 sub off the govt.
That’s fine and dandy until tomorrow when the new rates come in and our prices will go up on average by 27%. Why didn’t they say keep paying your DD as before and the £66 will help reduce the inevitable increase?

I feel like I should offer an apology to this thread and the pfm massive as a whole for this propaganda based brain fart. I have of course been through this exercise before and understand how the sodding thing works, but what with one thing and another haven't given it my full attention, and was drawn in by this fictional 2500 number.

I am suitably disappointed in myself and will now go off to contemplate my inadequecies over some beer (and maybe a warming scotch or two...)

Octopus have a tool on their web site that allows customers to see the predicted trajectory of your account balance. They have a new "Crystal Ball" button that recalculates to include tomorrow's rise. I thought I was looking peachy until I hit the "Crystal Ball" button (2nd pic).

I've cut down it's hours of "daylight" by means of a timer switch. But it will shortly need to join us downstairs and take it's chances with the Scottish winter. I did look into how to hibernate them, but it seems very complicated. When I was a kid they were just shoved into a shoe-box and put in the shed until spring. Health & Safety gone mad nowadays.

I feel like I should offer an apology to this thread and the pfm massive as a whole for this propaganda based brain fart. I have of course been through this exercise before and understand how the sodding thing works, but what with one thing and another haven't given it my full attention, and was drawn in by this fictional 2500 number.

I am suitably disappointed in myself and will now go off to contemplate my inadequecies over some beer (and maybe a warming scotch or two...)

Don't feel bad. You are in esteemed company. Our PM kept repeating that bills are now capped at £2.5k when she was on the wireless yesterday.

I've cut down it's hours of "daylight" by means of a timer switch. But it will shortly need to join us downstairs and take it's chances with the Scottish winter. I did look into how to hibernate them, but it seems very complicated. When I was a kid they were just shoved into a shoe-box and put in the shed until spring. Health & Safety gone mad nowadays.

Phew, for a second there I thought it was going in the soup.

Good Evening All,

Very disappointingly Greg at Octopus finally got around to addressing those of us on TOU tariffs, well he did and he didn't. I didn't need him to tell me that my current rates wouldn't change, what I needed him to tell me is what my rates will be on January 16th which they do know because the price is going to be fixed for two years and they know which area I live in.

Therefore, because Octopus failed to fully fully seize a communications opportunity, I'll now have to harass their already overworked CS department to get the answer I need. OK I accept I don't absolutely need to know right now but I want to know because other operators offering traditional E7 or possibly even E10 tariff's may challenge Go's new rates.....

It really is so easy to get things right............

Regards

Richard

Still resisting the smart meter but got the EDF app and sent them my meter reading today. Other that that I refuse to worry about it. Given what some are experiencing it’s first world problem. Extra jumper to show solidarity with Ukraine anyone?

advertisement

Back