advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Well, max. temp. here in Norwich was 12 degrees this arvo, with a nasty northern wind. I'm deffo feeling cold, even though the thermometer says 20 inside. Turning the heating on in the middle of September is a bit rash though; it's extra pullover time (unless you're in the Cairngorms or thereabouts, I s'pose. Heavy but fairly brief showers all day adding to the chill.

We've been having some heating on for part of the day for a while now. Live north of Edinburgh, so not surprising. Here it depends on how sunny it is as the black slates on our roof get pretty hot when it is sunny. Since we're on the coast that does happen quite often. Mix of gas and electric and directly heat the rooms we are in. So a sort of 'part heat as needed' approach.

BTW I found two things promising yesterday. One is
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysi...offshore-wind-is-four-times-cheaper-than-gas/
which combined with seeing on the 'iamkate' page that at 3:30pm yesterday the UK was getting far *more* electric generation from wind+solarPV than from gas!

Although ironic, one good thing about this crisis and our clueless UK Gov is that wind farms have been making good profits because they get paid based on the *gas* price - and were profitable *before* Putin's Price Hike! At least one farm developer has said this means they can spend more on building further wind farms asap. Just need the planning permissions - i.e. UK Gov rules and Local Authorities are the main bar down south for the cheaper+quicker land-based ones.

We've had beautiful weather the entire summer here in Glasgow, still sunny here @ 12 degrees but cold in the mornings and at night but in the house at night the thermostat is reading about 23 degrees with the heating off, feels chilly though.

We've been having some heating on for part of the day for a while now. Live north of Edinburgh, so not surprising. Here it depends on how sunny it is as the black slates on our roof get pretty hot when it is sunny. Since we're on the coast that does happen quite often. Mix of gas and electric and directly heat the rooms we are in. So a sort of 'part heat as needed' approach.

More insulation required???? I think we're further North than you...........

Currently 22°C in the kitchen and sat here in a 'T' shirt.

Regards

Richard

19.5 here with a few windows open, shorts a T still. Heating won't be on until late Oct/early Nov I'd have thought, if I'm still here that is!

More insulation required???? I think we're further North than you...........

Currently 22°C in the kitchen and sat here in a 'T' shirt.

Regards

Richard

Yes. I'm currently trying to organise having someone come to get more insulation installed. Also after that wanting to see if we can have solarPV. But need it checked as its an old house and the roof might not like that.

Alas, when we explain we are still 'shielding' because of spepcific vulnerability risk (yes fully jagged) some tradespeople then seem not to want to bother to come! Hard to find a decent 'local' person to do it as well. Prefer local is possible to keep money circulation nearer.

Because of our ages/condition we need to keep the place moderately warm despite waring lots of clothing. (I'm currently wearing a vest + shirt + jumper + cardigan!) Warmer as I'm now cooking dinner. :)

Very good video regarding the current price problems, particularly from Yanis Varoufakis

FFS!

In other words, reality and common sense are bent completely out of shape in order to meet an ideological dogma. Oh yeah, and to fleece the very people who are the rightful beneficiaries of their own countries energy production.

Thank you Mrs T. The shitty gift that keeps on shitting on us.

Also after that wanting to see if we can have solarPV. But need it checked as its an old house and the roof might not like that.

The state of the slates on the house roof was one of the reasons why my original solar set-up was stuck on the steading roof. You really do need to find a decent roofer to advise in the first instance and also make sure a decent roofer is involved in any Solar PV install. The main roof timbers will likely be more than strong enough it is the security of the slate fixings and/ or woodworm in the parking where problems will lie.

As I'm sure you're aware resolving this, even over a 'limited' area, isn't going to be cheap.

Having seen pictures of cowboy installs on relatively modern roofs I wouldn't want some of these people anywhere near my house roof.

If the roof is an issue then there is always a ground mount option although this doesn't suit everybody and does depend on how much land you have. They can be mounted in an elevated position.

Regards

Richard

Yes. At present I don't know one way or the other if our roof would be OK. Alas, our 'garage' roof is shadowed by the house next door which is 2-story and to our South. So for Solar PV I'd need to find someone who is competent and honest. Hence I'm taking that slowly. A related issue is possibly having a 'house battery' but I have no idea if that would make sense in the absence of SolarPV as a way to 'time shift' buying electric energy to a cheaper time at night, etc. Practical experience on that from others would be welcome as, again, I guess it isn't cheap to get.

A related issue is possibly having a 'house battery' but I have no idea if that would make sense in the absence of SolarPV as a way to 'time shift' buying electric energy to a cheaper time at night, etc.
Technically, it's certainly possible. Batteries don't care where the charging energy comes from. The savings will be smaller, though, since you'd always be paying something.

Are present 'house battery' systems bidirectional? i.e. can also be used in part to 'sell back' to the grid at times of high demand and low generation? I know these are planned for the future as part of a 'smart grid' but don't know what can be done yet in the UK.

Very good video regarding the current price problems, particularly from Yanis Varoufakis

Only got part-way thus far. Not sure if it all 'makes sense' as yet. But I'm duly surprised that the EU approach looks like being the UK one with a paper hat and a party squeeker to disguise it!

I wish someone had passed a law decades ago that all politicians have to have read *and* understood Galbraith's work. It is much clearer than Keen's. (No point in saying it is clearer than Keynes because even a hire purchase contract is clearer. 8-])

Done mine today.
I estimated Thursday and Friday’s consumption…

Do it soon folks, sites will crash on Friday.

Thanks for the reminder, just did mine.

Cleaned the oven last Sunday on warp factor pyrolytic cycle, so hopefully will not need doing again for a while.

advertisement

Back