advertisement

Climate change teaching in schools

What about China, USA, Russia, what we do in the UK is irrelevant and pretty much pointless if those 3 countries don’t do something about it.

What about China, USA, Russia, what we do in the UK is irrelevant and pretty much pointless if those 3 countries don’t do something about it.

and India, and Brazil.

I don't think it should be restricted to climate change, but should be broadened to a range of environmental matters - could be nicely integrated in a geography type curriculum. Getting rid of all the sh1t about ox bow lakes etc....

and India, and Brazil.

I don't think it should be restricted to climate change, but should be broadened to a range of environmental matters - could be nicely integrated in a geography type curriculum. Getting rid of all the sh1t about ox bow lakes etc....
I was trying to think of the others I wanted to mention and India was one of them but forgot about Brazil too.

If the curriculum is going to address this issue it should also address the economics of the global energy supply chain.
For example the energy requirements for different sectors of the economy that are required to support the current global population, such as agriculture for food production, mining and and manufacturing to provide materials for shelter.

We want our children to have a realistic understanding of the problem, not a simplistic view that we can abort fossil fuel energy overnight without a drastic impact on the capacity to maintain the lives of the current population.

While I agree with the sentiment in the OP, I’m not sure mandating curriculum time is the best solution. I agree with @gintonic that this sort of thing would integrate well with a geography syllabus, or maybe some elements in a maths/economics one. I’m a bit wary of micro-managing the school syllabus. Governments have form with that, and it generally hasn’t gone well.

I’m certain that climate change is already taught in schools. Seen both my children doing it in both Geography and Science.

Your correct...the petition is about increasing this teaching to give a better understanding of its importance and also to (maybe) inspire children to want to make positive changes as they grow older

Your correct...the petition is about increasing this teaching to give a better understanding of its importance and also to (maybe) inspire children to want to make positive changes as they grow older
If you are talking about increasing teaching in one curriculum area, you need to say what is going to be removed to make room.

We already have a situation where subjects like Art, Music and Drama are being squeezed out in some schools, more downward pressure on a broad based curriculum could be detrimental for pupil’s overall educational opportunities.

I totally agree with raising the profile of the Environment, but not sure this is the way to do it.

As others have said, green issues are already covered in Geography and Science.

The proposal for an extra 33 hours per year across all subjects will equal approx 5 minutes for each subject per week.

Good Afternoon All,

Signed - I'm all for the message being spread. What was it ox-bow lakes and 'U' shaped valleys? Strange my wife also mentions ox bow lakes and she is 14yrs younger than me......

Regards

Richard

Young people are already engaged, some too much. Do not eat meat because it is bad for environment.

While agreeing with some of the caveats mentioned above, I think this should be wholeheartedy encouraged.
People are quibbling about the minutiae of implementation when the important thing is getting young people engaged in trying to do something in the face of a government who are basically ignoring the issue.
We’re all for getting young people engaged, but most already are, and an extra 5 minutes per week is unlikely to raise that engagement and will put additional pressure on a curriculum that is already crowded and a school system that is vastly underfunded.

Actually, the current Energy Crisis makes clear that it *is* relevant for us. If we had by now far more 'green' energy from UK sources we wouldn't have a crisis caused by our continuing being hooked on fossil fules. Per Putin wind energy had already become cheaper than gas-powered electric generation. Wind isn't a 'consumable'. One of the big advantages of 'green' sources is that they renew themselves.

We *already* get more than half our electric power from green sources at times. And if we'd got on with it we could have had far *more* green 'take' by now than we do.

Alas, too many politicians are clueless and bow to the cash they get from big corps and their shills.

So yes, teaching about climate change and issues like the above would be an great idea. Better informed people help us to get over the crap that politicians spout when paid to do it.

advertisement

Back