advertisement

Tony, please remove the ‘like button’.

Difficult one. I see where the OP is coming from, but if there wasn’t a ‘like’ button I’d probably be clogging up the forum agreeing with posts that I approved of.

There are also times when I’d really, really like to have a ‘dislike’ button, so it’s just as well that we don’t have one of those.

I’m not too fond of it either, but it makes you save time when judging members. If you’re, say, into conspiracist theories, the likes to such posts indicate rather precisely who could be your blood brothers. otoh ultra lefties tend to like each other all the time and this gives them some sort of group feeling (“fight the right”), which doesn’t always improve the level of discussions.

What are the positives?

Well it’s much better than “+1” posts

If I ask for recommendations I can like the responses to show my thanks, which I tend to do.

If someone posts an very unpleasant post and another replies pointing this out, the amount of likes the reply gets versus the absence or few likes on the nasty post is a good way of highlighting the decency of the forum to lurkers or new members.

Oh and I usually like a post that makes me smile or titter.

.sjb

There was a great rant on the devil that is the "like" button by the departed Jonathan Ribee/Swamp Thing somewhere from years ago that was a very considered argument against it. Can't find it or his original username, maybe deleted. A shame as he was a considered gentleman.

Difficult one. I see where the OP is coming from, but if there wasn’t a ‘like’ button I’d probably be clogging up the forum agreeing with posts that I approved of.

There are also times when I’d really, really like to have a ‘dislike’ button, so it’s just as well that we don’t have one of those.
I seem to remember there was one for a while. Yeah, I miss Jonathan.

Well it’s much better than “+1” posts

If I ask for recommendations I can like the responses to show my thanks, which I tend to do.

If someone posts an very unpleasant post and another replies pointing this out, the amount of likes the reply gets versus the absence or few likes on the nasty post is a good way of highlighting the decency of the forum to lurkers or new members.

Oh and I usually like a post that makes me smile or titter.

.sjb
+1

PS No dislike option either.

That's probably just as well. The like button alone does serve a useful purpose IMO - acknowledging posts that you really appreciate, without having to clog the thread with a post quoting that post.

If a dislike button were added there would be a grave danger of threads descending into awful popularity contests of the type that give young people mental health problems.
(and if nobody likes this post I will start to question my self worth).

OPs view is cynical. I like posts that make me smile, or think, or feel sad, or a hundred other things.

Hence, I liked every post in this thread so far.

It's nice to like things. This isn't a competition, It's a forum of randoms who might like to occasionally dabble in hifi (isn't it?).

advertisement

Back