advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

Erm, yes...!

You can go either ditchfinders and find yourself mating with a tree at high speeds because your tyres are crap and don't do very well when they're needed the most; or buy at least upper budget/lower midrange to get better compounds/better traction in wet & dry and a better chance of staving off any situations that might cause you to meet with said tree

Tyres & brakes are the places to NEVER skimp on; because they're the things that you need to stop!
Drivers in ditches or wrapped round trees are there because they are not as good a driver as they thought and nothing to do with tyres.

Drivers in ditches or wrapped round trees are there because they are not as good a driver as they thought and nothing to do with tyres.
Respectfully I completely disagree. Even in 'normal' driving conditions the decreased stopping distance and increased steering capabilities of a premium tyre can be the difference between avoiding or hitting something.

Bad tyres limit your options no matter how good a driver you are or aren't.

The Vredesteins I've found to be superb and a real 'premium tyre challenger'; same with the Falkens

In the end I went with Vredestein Quatrac all round - rated very highly in aggregated reviews for all seasons on tyrereviews.com AND £15 to £20 cheaper per piece than the other contenders suggested here and available locally.
So pretty much a no-brainer really ;)

Thanks to all who posted their personal favourites - much appreciated :)

Aye ok... Utter bollocks!

As an advanced driver and someone who's had driving instruction from a number of Lancs police driving instructions and ex-driving instructions, I can tell you now that shit tyres are just that, shit!

Yes; they have to meet certain standards, but that's all they do. Whereas tyres in the next range(s) up excel those standard again & again

I've experienced shit/cheap/budget/ditchfinder tyres on the same car; as brand new (bedded in) tyres, in exactly the same scenario as upper budget, midrange & premium and they were beyond scary how bad they were!

If you want to run them, that's your choice; as with life, it's all about choices... But choices are either right or wrong...

In the end I went with Vredestein Quatrac all round - rated very highly in aggregated reviews for all seasons on tyrereviews.com AND £15 to £20 cheaper per piece than the other contenders suggested here and available locally.
So pretty much a no-brainer really ;)

Thanks to all who posted their personal favourites - much appreciated :)

They're supposed to be very good tyres; be interested to see your feedback on them :)

They were a choice for me too; but 'tyresonthedrive' offered an £80 discount for the Goodyear Vector all seasons for the sizes I needed with free fitting at my home etc; so that flipped the decision for me

Being a good driver is about more than simple driving skills. It's also about decision making, awareness, and risk management. And I'd say that anybody who specifies cheap, low performance tyres because they don't see the merits in doing otherwise isn't exhibiting the best decision making, awareness or risk management and is therefore not a good driver.

Do you think that V rated CrossClimate2s would be adequate for a GTI ?

If that's what the recommended speed rating is then I'm sure they'd be fine although I'd have thought a GTI might be on W rated tyres.

Aye ok... Utter bollocks!

As an advanced driver and someone who's had driving instruction from a number of Lancs police driving instructions and ex-driving instructions, I can tell you now that shit tyres are just that, shit!

Yes; they have to meet certain standards, but that's all they do. Whereas tyres in the next range(s) up excel those standard again & again

I've experienced shit/cheap/budget/ditchfinder tyres on the same car; as brand new (bedded in) tyres, in exactly the same scenario as upper budget, midrange & premium and they were beyond scary how bad they were!

If you want to run them, that's your choice; as with life, it's all about choices... But choices are either right or wrong...
I have been driving for 51 years and have never found much difference between ditchfinders and expensive brands. I would like to hear more of your scientific testing of tyres. Otherwise, sounds like brand/cost/I am a driving god snobbery.

Being a good driver is about more than simple driving skills. It's also about decision making, awareness, and risk management. And I'd say that anybody who specifies cheap, low performance tyres because they don't see the merits in doing otherwise isn't exhibiting the best decision making, awareness or risk management and is therefore not a good driver.
Depends how they drive on their tyre of choice.

Is there any evidence that cheap tyres contribute to road incidents more, proportionately, than expensive ones, - genuine question.

I've always used top quality tyres on my old 1987 911 and a 1999 BMW. But I've always wondered to what extent the tread pattern is a result of engineering and testing, and to what extent it is designed to look "sexy." It obviously should not be that way, but I would bet the marketing department has a very important say in how the tread looks.

And then there's the cheap driver with cheap tyres that are near the limit.....never goes over 20 mph, wears a trilby, only drives on Sundays....50 years experience so safe as.

And then there's the cheap driver with cheap tyres that are near the limit.....never goes over 20 mph, wears a trilby, only drives on Sundays....50 years experience so safe as.
Is that all you have? Do you think you describe me? Oh dear.

Whatever the tyre place has in stock or if there is a choice what is on special offer when I need to replace the tyres?

Whatever the tyre place has in stock or if there is a choice what is on special offer when I need to replace the tyres?
That's how I buy toilet roll, not tyres... :D

Depends how they drive on their tyre of choice.

Is there any evidence that cheap tyres contribute to road incidents more, proportionately, than expensive ones, - genuine question.

Did you watch the video I replied to your post with? I would imagine that it's difficult to cross-reference accidents with tyres, mainly because crash investigators will only consider if the tyre is legal (ie. above 1.6mm or not) rather than whether or not it's a budget or premium tyre. Perhaps they ought to, as making the minimum tyre standard higher could do more to improve road safety than many other measures.

I can't see how anyone can watch that video and come away thinking that budget tyres are in any way comparable with premium tyres.

Is that all you have? Do you think you describe me? Oh dear.
Well you seem happy to ignore the video upthread showing a very experienced driver losing control at 24 mph.....perhaps you've cracked it, never exceed 20 mph...face it the difference between a high performance tyre and cheap as chips is about £50 a corner. Most of us value ourselves, passengers and pedestrians above that exorbitant 0.01 p/ mile.

I have been driving for 51 years and have never found much difference between ditchfinders and expensive brands. I would like to hear more of your scientific testing of tyres. Otherwise, sounds like brand/cost/I am a driving god snobbery.

I think some cheap tyres are worse than others so you may get lucky depending on what you choose. I certainly don't think it's a given that all cheap tyres are crap but I definitely have had a couple of really bad ones in the past ('Accelera' I think were pretty terrible in the wet and ice on my old Accord). Our Pug 107 still has the cheap Chinese tyres that it came with as they haven't needed changing yet and tbh they've given me no reason to worry at all, but it's no sports car obvs :D.

Did you actually read my post... I stated that I've been out in the same car, in the same scenarios with different tyres (all new but bedded in) and the budgets were beyond scary in thew handling/braking/wet & dry sections...

And don't give me the 'I've been driving for this long' bullshit... You make it sound like you're a driving guru... Clearly, you're anything but!

Budget tyres are just that; budget and crap

If you think you know better just because you've been driving for so many years; then fine, but I know for a fact that what I've said is right

And no; I'm not a driving god; no one said that; I do have advanced driving experience and qualifications and I drive normally, sensibly and within the limits of my cars. I've track experience and driving courses experience... But I'm still nowhere near as experienced as those that taught me and still teach me now...

advertisement

Back