advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

Sorry - lasted about 30 secs with that vid.
Annoying bloke and then lengthy unrelated advert plug kicked in :(
<shrug>

Shame, it reviews exactly the types of tyres you're looking at. It's a tyre test review, not a comfy evening in front of Strictly.

So, 'TLDW' summary for you - the best all-round performance tyre is the Michelin Pilot Sport 5, the best all-round 'mid-range' is the Hankook Ventus Prime 4 followed by the Michelin Primacy 4+. All-Season tyre Michelin Cross-Climate 2 is as good as any other he tested.

Ya don't say .....
There's a 'tolerate presenter & ads' to ' information gained' ratio in there. Might not be the best presenter but he knows tyres and is willing to impart that info in exchange for a couple of ads...

I think the overwhelming response is 'Michelin' from most here (including me) but if you need something more midrange then Hankook are a good shout; I ran Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2s on my BMW 330Ci and they were a good tyre for sensible money. For a Yaris you don't even need to go that nuts; it's a light car and I guess you're unlikely to drive it on its door-handles?

Spent years using Continental, moved to Falken All- Season tyres last year, they are great.

For cars I was happy with Michelin all weather.
For bikes I go Pirelli. For my current scoot I have P's City Angel boots, massive improvement on the factory supplied junk.

Strange that some folks find the Cross Climate's noisy. I don't BTW, and the tyre ratings published by every retailer have them as one of the quietist tyres around. To be fair most quality brand tyres fall in in the 69-71dB category - so a rather narrow band.

It could also be that my Volvo is well insulated from road noise so I would not notice even if they were noisy!

For a Yaris, all this talk of fancy tyres is a bit un-necessary. It a light weight (by modern standards) city car. Cross Climates, if available in that size, are not that expensive so would be good choice and last a long time if winter mobility is likely to be a factor. My daughter has a 68 plate Yaris with Dunlop Sports fitted from the factory - they seem absolutely fine for the job.

For the average, responsible Mazda driver like me, do tyres make even a tiny difference ? My next buy might well be some cheapo Chinese brand, the one which will be on offer.

For the average, responsible Mazda driver like me, do tyres make even a tiny difference ? My next buy might well be some cheapo Chinese brand, the one which will be on offer.

A kid on bicycle might suddenly come out on the road. Even 'responsible' drivers will want to be responsible and have as short a braking distance as possible. Buy a well respected European brand, Chinese ones are CRAP.

Please remember that the only contact point for safety, is the small footprint of your 4 tyres.

This being the case, buy the best you can afford. Ditchfinders have no place in our house.

Hence why there's no best brand. I find the Goodyear's on my car very, very noisy. The previous Pirellis weren't.

Oddly, the Goodyear's on my wife's Merc are quiet (different model tyre). I'm going to check where each were made, in case they've been made to cost, elsewhere.

When the need replacing, I'm going Fulda.

Check TyreReviews online.

Strange that some folks find the Cross Climate's noisy. I don't BTW, and the tyre ratings published by every retailer have them as one of the quietist tyres around. To be fair most quality brand tyres fall in in the 69-71dB category - so a rather narrow band.

I found the Cross Climates on my car to be very marginally more noisy than the Hancook's they replaced. It was very marginal though - to the point that I might have only noticed because I was looking for it.

• Michelin PS4s
  • Uniroyal Rainsport 3s and 5s
  • Nexen N'Fera SU1s
  • Falken FK510s
  • Goodyear Eagle F1s
  • Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's
  • Continental Contact 6s
  • Goodyear Vector All-seasons (just had the Gen3 of these fitted to my 17" winter alloys for my 540i V8) - decided to go with all seasons for a change and they get rave reviews
  • Avon WV7s (winters) / Michelin Alpin A4s (winters) / Nexen Winguard Sport 2s (winters) - these have all been superb in 17/18" sizes

I've run all the above tyres on various cars inc all my BMWs and the wife's Racing Jazz :D

The Nexens & Uniroyals are as 'cheap' as I'll go; but they're both very good tyres and the Uniroyals are very well suited to the UK climate

The Vredesteins I've found to be superb and a real 'premium tyre challenger'; same with the Falkens

The PS4s, Eagle F1s and Conti's are superb tyres and suit their premium level prices and feedback

But; it's all down to what you want from the tyre and what car you have/how you drive etc

tyrereviews.co.uk is a great website to go through as well for real world reviews & the Youtube stuff too

Erm, yes...!

You can go either ditchfinders and find yourself mating with a tree at high speeds because your tyres are crap and don't do very well when they're needed the most; or buy at least upper budget/lower midrange to get better compounds/better traction in wet & dry and a better chance of staving off any situations that might cause you to meet with said tree

Tyres & brakes are the places to NEVER skimp on; because they're the things that you need to stop!

advertisement

Back