advertisement

How to try and get my system to sound as good at 65dB as 80dB ?

.....or change the volume scale on your amp.
Instead of markers or a scale, put dB of cut so 65 becomes louder than 80.
Ta daaa.

Yup, got my coat thanks...

yes, I do use Rothwells but more to flatten out the too quick gain first on the Alps blue and now on the twin stepped attenuators I fitted to replace it.

The OP needs an amp with tone controls!
Also agree with this. I have a Sugden A48 mk 2 with tone control and get very good results from it. Nevertheless, the bass notes seems to be slower when I do so thus the use of a NAP 250.2 now.
My Exposure 4 also gives me the woomph I like on bass notes and again, it has a monster power supply.

Also agree with this. I have a Sugden A48 mk 2 with tone control and get very good results from it. Nevertheless, the bass notes seems to be slower when I do so thus the use of a NAP 250.2 now.
My Exposure 4 also gives me the woomph I like on bass notes and again, it has a monster power supply.

and again it has feck all to do with a monstrous power supply!

Would a very large gage power cord be of any help ?............just teasing..........

Arkless rarely needs teasing, this is lighting the blue touch paper, I am off to stick the popcorn in the meeekro waaaavay :p (fitted with Russ' finest kettle lead for the tastiest popcorn)

I´ve also got an A48II in a cupboard. What if I replace those 4 huge coke can lookalike output caps with something more modern and fit some new super fast diodes and scrub the Nextel. Will that do the trick ? It cost me 200 quid in 1978.

Fair enough Paul. So those who say their systems sound great at low volumes have got better hearing at lower volumes. End of ? Or can it be improved by defined methods or is it a question of lucky combinations ? For example I have read that the Sugden sounds great at low volumes but if that is so, IMO mine does not compensate for other things elsewhere. What about stand mounts versus floorstanders ?

No, they have systems which have higher resolution at low levels, a "quiter" room and their system exaggerates frequency extremes like the old loudness/contour circuit.

By Jove, I think I´ve got it. My Creek OBH21SE and mono jacked Beyer DT531s at lower volume time and at night, and my A21SE and Wd25TEx in the day time when she´s not in.

Chris,

My Sugden (A21a Signature) sound great at low volume, or when up higher. I have a feeling this is your speakers not performing as well at lower volume.

@Chris, I'm not trying to be funny but having hearing in only one ear could also be contributing to the problem. If I plug one ear, and it doesn't matter which one, my hearing gets royally screwed up and the tonality and presence of my system is obliterated, it sounds thin and distant. Maybe it's different for those with complete hearing loss in one ear, or perhaps the ear/brain adapts over time. How do your headphones sound at low volumes?

BTW - When listening on headphones I assume you sum the signal to mono? If you don't then you're potentially missing out on 50% of the performance, especially if you listen to recordings that have instruments hard-panned into the left or right channels!

Cheers ToToMan. Yes I have summed the signals on my Beyers. I do think that the human brain is the greatest component as it adapts. What you do lose at lower volumes is bass presence and drive. You have to help the drive in your mind.

@Chris, I'm not trying to be funny but having hearing in only one ear could also be contributing to the problem. If I plug one ear, and it doesn't matter which one, my hearing gets royally screwed up and the tonality and presence of my system is obliterated, it sounds thin and distant. Maybe it's different for those with complete hearing loss in one ear, or perhaps the ear/brain adapts over time. How do your headphones sound at low volumes?

BTW - When listening on headphones I assume you sum the signal to mono? If you don't then you're potentially missing out on 50% of the performance, especially if you listen to recordings that have instruments hard-panned into the left or right channels!

/\This yes. Many years ago I had a severe ear infection that made me pretty much deaf in one ear for the best part of a fortnight before it cleared up with medical treatment and all went back to normal, like it had never happened.
I couldn't hear any major difference between a ghetto blaster and a mega hi fi system during this time. Conversation was still easy enough but had to sit on the right side and or keep turning my head. Listening to TV was still basically OK but hi fi was simply no longer a possibility... I thought my career and hobby were over and was shit scared I don't mind admitting....

Quad ESL-63

Is it just me or are the Quads the most overrated loudspeakers ever?

On topic, I think it's very important to listen at different volumes and using the types of music you actually play at home when demming new kit. Lots of Hi-Fi sounds good with certain types of music but not others, at certain volume but not others. If your system does this you've just bought the wrong stuff.

advertisement

Back