advertisement

How to try and get my system to sound as good at 65dB as 80dB ?

I think the answer is more complicated than using tone controls. You will not get more bass drive by boosting the bass. You’ll likely just end up with less, as things may end up sounding boomy. The figure of 20bB mentioned means four times the perceived loudness, which is a big difference.

All I can say is that when I fettled NCC220 boards into my NAP140, I’d find satisfaction at lower volumes. I don’t imagine tone controls could have done that. I know this doesn’t help you in the slightest, though perhaps your amp needs servicing? Or perhaps the speakers?

/\This yes. Many years ago I had a severe ear infection that made me pretty much deaf in one ear for the best part of a fortnight before it cleared up with medical treatment and all went back to normal, like it had never happened.
I couldn't hear any major difference between a ghetto blaster and a mega hi fi system during this time. Conversation was still easy enough but had to sit on the right side and or keep turning my head. Listening to TV was still basically OK but hi fi was simply no longer a possibility... I thought my career and hobby were over and was shit scared I don't mind admitting....
I've had this a few times but the scariest one (IIRC I posted about it on here) resulted in one of my ears filling with thick mucous (I could hear it sloshing against my ear drum when tilting my head!). It took several weeks to drain, during which time I had constant pulsatile tinnitus. The tinnitus was worse than the deafness as the only way I could escape it was to sleep, which was very difficult to do when my ear was constantly ringing and pounding! The mucous drained after a few weeks and my hearing acuity was back after six or so, but the tinnitus took a lot longer to go. Afterwards I made a pledge not to take my hifi for granted and to listen to it everyday if possible!

Is it just me or are the Quads the most overrated loudspeakers ever?

On topic, I think it's very important to listen at different volumes and using the types of music you actually play at home when demming new kit. Lots of Hi-Fi sounds good with certain types of music but not others, at certain volume but not others. If your system does this you've just bought the wrong stuff.

It's just you. One of the finest speakers even after all these decades.

I think the answer is more complicated than using tone controls. You will not get more bass drive by boosting the bass. You’ll likely just end up with less, as things may end up sounding boomy. The figure of 20bB mentioned means four times the perceived loudness, which is a big difference.

All I can say is that when I fettled NCC220 boards into my NAP140, I’d find satisfaction at lower volumes. I don’t imagine tone controls could have done that. I know this doesn’t help you in the slightest, though perhaps your amp needs servicing? Or perhaps the speakers?
+1 for the Avondale boards. All problems solved. Period.
Same results here in a NAP 110.

I´ve also got an A48II in a cupboard. What if I replace those 4 huge coke can lookalike output caps with something more modern and fit some new super fast diodes and scrub the Nextel. Will that do the trick ? It cost me 200 quid in 1978.
I have been thinking about doing this but never gave it a try so can’t answer this question.
Nevertheless, if your A48 is in good condition, you should give it a try and see how it goes. Results might be a nice surprise..........

On the thread subject, "How to try and get my system to sound as good at 65dB as 80dB?", here's a quote from a thread on audioflat:

"I’ve noticed that my system is also sounding better at all volume levels — I don’t feel like I need to get it as loud to get into the 'thrill zone'."

Here's the page:
https://audioflat.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1454&start=490

Yes, it is my product, but the quote is not me, and I think it relates closely to the question raised by this thread.

a) Room - (across 3.5m x 5m)
b) Speakers (WD25TEx - 87dB)
c) Combination of Room and speakers.
d) Amp (Sugden A21SE)
e) Phono stage (breathed on Puresound P10)
f) Cartridge JAS tipped A&RP77
g) Analogue format Lps only.
h) Speaker cables
i) Power cord
j) My lug - right one useless. so hear in mono via stereo system. Often sit sideways on.
k) Other

Looking for unusual ideas and theories backed on experience. ...
ISTM the question is "what are you perceiving at 80 dB SPL that you are missing 15 dB lower?" You will perceive less bass. Applying a bass boost sloping up from 0 dB at 500 Hz to maybe 10 dB at 50 Hz might help, but that may not be the only thing.

My own perception of loudness has changed from where it began. For classical music, lower on the volume control now just sounds as I would expect from being further from the performers. I do like being fairly close, but further away does not sound wrong to me any more.

The change began when I auditioned to some low distortion loudspeakers. Quad ESL-63 didn't initially sound engaging but I gradually began to realize a probable reason: there is truth when people say that distortion is perceived as loudness. My take now is that I had got used to the distortion signature of my then loudspeakers and perceived the ESLs initially as thin and unengaging. But listening further, including two friends' ESL-57s, I gradually understood low distortion as one of their key virtues.

I now have cone/dome loudspeakers capable of 112 dB SPL continuous. They idle at 80 dB SPL with very low distortion. Recalling my volume control position when they arrived it was embarrassingly high. I think I was compensating by dialling in real loudness - maybe until my ears generated their own distortion from the normal protection mechanism. I adapted. The volume gradually came down and I have never been happier than now with music played through my kit.

So with apologies that I may be seen as criticizing other kit or other ears, I wonder if some part of the perception may be more than the normal loudness perception issue. For me it was a matter of unlearning what I had come to like and re-setting my expectations. Maybe, if possible, try listening much closer to the loudspeakers when playing at 65 dB SPL and see if your experience changes.

I've had this a few times but the scariest one (IIRC I posted about it on here) resulted in one of my ears filling with thick mucous (I could hear it sloshing against my ear drum when tilting my head!). It took several weeks to drain, during which time I had constant pulsatile tinnitus. The tinnitus was worse than the deafness as the only way I could escape it was to sleep, which was very difficult to do when my ear was constantly ringing and pounding! The mucous drained after a few weeks and my hearing acuity was back after six or so, but the tinnitus took a lot longer to go. Afterwards I made a pledge not to take my hifi for granted and to listen to it everyday if possible!
Due to heavy iem use i had major wax build up in one ear hitting the eardrum last year. Pushed all of my buttons, haven’t used iems since and went to on ears for on the go. Not too big so it can fit under my hoody when it rains and not as warm as over ears during summer. Also they sound way better than iems or any noise canceling over ears i’ve tried. Beyerdynamic Aventho very comfortable even with glasses.

advertisement

Back