advertisement

Enough is Enough

Some comrade classics in that Twitter thread:

“People in my party need to learn this: it’s workers versus bosses. Pick your side.”
“This is a class war… it’s being done to us by Etonians and people from Winchester."
"The government comprises “hard right militant extremists.”

Note sure it's a winning strategy.

It is an accurate reading IMO. The modern Trump-right Conservative Party is IMHO a criminal oligarchy/kleptocracy. It exists to divert and siphon national wealth into donor pockets and routinely implements legislation that makes that process easier along with removing political accountability and scrutiny. It exists to siphon money upwards. The party has been exceptionally successful in this aim over the past 12 years and it needs calling out for it.

The reality is there are very few Tory MPs who are not millionaires. Most of the front bench appear to be multi-millionaires. Much of the party holding far more lucrative 1st jobs, “directorships” etc, and usung their influence as MPs for personal gain. I don’t know the precise statistics, but I’d expect more than 50% of them have arrived on the benches of grift and power via an elite public school and Oxbridge education. Two of the past three PMs being curled out onto the benches of power via the violently elitist Bullingdon club. If you don’t view this as a class war I’d be fascinated to know what your definition of one would be.

The modern Conservative Party, like their Republican bedfellows, are unquestionably hard-right extremists. I’d personally describe them both as inherently fascist.

The class war narrative might be wrong, but the analysis that we have a system of business interest verses the interest of everything and everyone else is correct.

Any advancement of workers rights has been achieved, step-by-painful-step, through 150 years of legislation and regulation. We have now had half a century of ideological de-regulation.

In our industry (agric) that regulation has become irrelevant; if you can find someone worth keeping you pay way over minimum wage or lose them.

Decent employees are essential and after 20 years of training they're a vast asset.

My gut feeling, as a layman, is that there are no easy answers to any of this. And just calling for stuff to be cheaper and people to be paid more probably isn't it. But if there's a groundswell of support - as seems likely - it should at least put more pressure on the government (i.e. Truss) to help the most vulnerable.
In some ways it really is that simple: it’s a cost of living crisis, and that will end when prices come down and wages go up, and not before. It affects everyone, more or less, so it’s going to have to take in everyone, and not just the most vulnerable.

What are you going to call it in 6 months time?

EiE won't exist in six months time - Liz Edam will have called a snap GE and lost to the mighty Sir Keir who then enacts a full-on social justice agenda as per his ten pledges and leaves us lot with nothing to grumble about on here....simples.

In some ways it really is that simple: it’s a cost of living crisis, and that will end when prices come down and wages go up, and not before. It affects everyone, more or less, so it’s going to have to take in everyone, and not just the most vulnerable.

I agree Sean. But how do you campaign for higher wages for everyone?

Genuine question. I just don't understand how that could work.

Should have been, but ZIRP bailed everyone out who’d overdone it.

We'd talked about Pitch Forks in the street in the 2020 Stock Market thread, the governments response to Covid (on the back of 2008 response)...rampant inflation was predicted then and well here we are...

A modest but important start would be to begin narrowing the gap between the poorest and the wealthy rather than widening it as per the current long-term trend.

You win higher wages for union members through industrial action and organise workers who aren’t unionised. You put pressure on government so that they put pressure on employers.

Being superficial (someone has to... trust me), I note it was in Clapham. And just look at the audience https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FaYuSiMWQAEo4og?format=jpg&name=large

It all smells a bit too middle class to me. Despite all the talk of class war, I would bet Enough is Enough is not going to frighten the horses.

The London riots were about the only thing that truly frightened the powers that be. And before that, the poll tax riots worked. That is the level that Enough is Enough would need to operate at. Might not work in Clapham, though.

Yes but they would be old Wykehamists.

People from Winchester are people who live in Winchester.
I guess by extension the Etonians - NB not Old Etonians - that the Twitteree was cross about are in fact residents of Eton, or at least current pupils at the school.

I’d definitely consider voting for a party called EiE if they could find a way of adding an extra iO to their name.

We'd talked about Pitch Forks in the street in the 2020 Stock Market thread, the governments response to Covid (on the back of 2008 response)...rampant inflation was predicted then and well here we are...

Quite. We’ve simply had too loose monetary policy for too long. Here we are indeed. We’ve never had a period of high inflation when IR’s haven’t at least matched the inflation rate. Of course, it’s different this time.

Being superficial (someone has to... trust me), I note it was in Clapham. And just look at the audience https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FaYuSiMWQAEo4og?format=jpg&name=large

It all smells a bit too middle class to me. Despite all the talk of class war, I would bet Enough is Enough is not going to frighten the horses.

The London riots were about the only thing that truly frightened the powers that be. And before that, the poll tax riots worked. That is the level that Enough is Enough would need to operate at. Might not work in Clapham, though.

First Authentocrat sighting.

advertisement

Back