advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

So glad you said that. I’ve never been to the USA but there are many things there I’d like to see and experience. But I’ve decided that it just isn’t the sort of place I want to visit now. Partly I don’t want to spend my money there; partly I can’t ignore the possibility of being caught up in a random shooting, or getting into a fatal misunderstanding with its police. And I’m not in the habit of giving support to the Taliban, so why would I give it to the American equivalent?
You're really getting off topic these last few posts but I have to reply to this one.

I've been to the US loads of times, I've even worked there and I've never felt in any danger. The chances of being caught up in a random shooting are small and of being killed by the Police also very small. Your comment seems absurd to me. It's never actually crossed my mind when I've been there. I accept things will have changed in recent times due to Trump so I have no desire to go there now.

There’s nothing better than a bunch of middle-aged (or older) men pontificating about women’s right to choose about what happens to their bodies.

Sexual equality at its finest… But then the flaw is that we are not referring to mothers’ bodies, but the physically and genetically separate bodies of pre-born children, and their only chance of life. With over half of those children being female.

Andrew

Right wing America is becoming a worrying place, to think that I almost relocated there 20 years ago.
Rgds
Stuart

Nothing has changed in any way that would affect a tourist's experience.
Just for clarity, since you have ignored most of my post that is positive about the US, selecting a small negative part to respond to. My reluctance now to go to the US is simply a principle around the recent ruling, which I put down to Trump.

Sexual equality at its finest… But then the flaw is that we are not referring to mothers’ bodies, but the physically and genetically separate bodies of pre-born children, and their only chance of life. With over half of those children being female.

Andrew
No such thing as pre-born children. You mean foetuses.

Not sure what you mean, if the purpose of sex is procreation, as I think you said, that seems rather biblically proscriptive to me

I was thinking more nature than religion, the thread is about abortion which is (traditionally) caused by sex.

Our method of procreation is sex, at some point in the history of man (and woman) someone discovered it was rather enjoyable but didn't always want or need the resulting offspring. Less unsafe sex = less unwanted pregnancy = fewer abortions.

Nothing has changed in any way that would affect a tourist's experience.

this is true, but since the only thing that republicans truly care about Is $$$ a tourism boycott seems like a reasonable action.

I would not, by choice visit any state that restricts a woman’s right to choose. (Which is creating a little tension with my wife who wants to go back to Disney world).

It might. I'll toss my hat in the ring, this and the US lawmakers unwillingness to make any effort to reduce gun crime makes it a place that no longer want to visit. I've been a few times, the USA is beautiful and fascinating. However, right now, they aren't getting my tourist dollars. Europe is.

i said the same thing to my wife this afternoon!

From a CNN-article - sort of puts it into perspective, doesn't it?

"Make no mistake, the same court that just 24 hours earlier had determined that the decision to carry a gun on the streets is such an essential aspect of personal liberty that states may not be permitted to regulate it, has now declared that decisions about abortion, miscarriage, contraception, economic survival, child-rearing, and intimate family choices are worthy of zero solicitude. None."

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/26/opinions/supreme-court-abortion-guns-column-galant/index.html

Certainly isn't. Take some responsibilty for what you spout.
I spout what i am passionate about & defending the saving of unborn children is hardly a sin in my eyes. I have clearly taken responsibility here for my views.

Leaving aside any challenge to your other stated positions here (which, FTAOD, I consider shallow and barely thought through) let’s just bear in mind that one of the greatest threats to civilisation, and to the planet, is the growth of the human population to unsustainable levels. But you think we shouldn’t attempt to check that, at all. Because every potential foetus is sacrosanct. Okay. You are entitled to your opinion; I don’t think you’re entitled to force it on others. Which is what has happened here. Do you not see that?
Using abortion as some form of culling of the human race, well, speechless for once. I have thought out my views since day dot on this issue, have you, sounds not from that reply. You are right on one point, i am entitled to my point of view & thanks so much for diving in, i was waiting with baited breath for the sanctimonious response & as per you did not disappoint. I have made my feelings very clear, the killing of unborn children is not something i personally believe in unless for the reasons given earlier.

advertisement

Back