advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

There are about 2 billion Muslims. The percentage of 'extremists and misogynists' will not be much different to any other very large group of people. Like Trump supporters ;)
Correct. However the leaderships of the Muslim world are very good at being "extremists and misogynist s" and using the holy book to justify themselves.

This is all covered in existing "intent" considerations in law. It doesn't " destroy" any arguments, to say it does is facile.

But the argument that a bunch of cells that may or may not implant and develop is a ‘life’ with greater rights than the woman is not facile?

But the argument that a bunch of cells that may or may not implant and develop is a ‘life’ with greater rights than the woman is not facile?
It may be. That's another argument. Howeve r, you can't counter one facile argument with another one of your own.

Society should remember that sex is a method of procreation, the natural result of intercourse is pregnancy. We find ourselves in this situation because of our carnal desires and our inability to exercise self control en masse.

A quick bunk up on a Saturday night is a weighty privilege, not an entitlement with no consequences.

That’s a comforting assumption. What if they die because the mother - not knowing she might be pregnant - has a few glasses of wine, or eats something or takes an over the counter drug that affects the cervical mucous? Or has a session on a trampoline, overenthusiastic sex or any other activity that might affect implantation? Its the grey area like this that destroy the ‘it’s a life to be protected from the moment of conception’ attitude.
I suspect this sort of thinking could be used by the religious right to exercise further control over women of childbearing age. No booze for you, young lady; no vigorous exercise of any form. Oh, and cover those ankles while you’re at it.

Correct. However the leaderships of the Muslim world are very good at being "extremists and misogynist s" and using the holy book to justify themselves.
I’m surprised at you, Steve. The leadership of many parts of the world, including (as we are seeing) in ‘Christian’ USA, are very good at being extremists and misogynists, and citing holy writ as cover for that.

It may be. That's another argument. Howeve r, you can't counter one facile argument with another one of your own.

I’m simply pointing out that facile arguments work both ways.

I see religious beliefs trying to trump biology and/or common sense as not worth wasting my time arguing about.

I suspect this sort of thinking could be used by the religious right to exercise further control over women of childbearing age. No booze for you, young lady; no vigorous exercise of any form. Oh, and cover those ankles while you’re at it.
That was going to be my next smart response!

Society should remember that sex is a method of procreation, the natural result of intercourse is pregnancy. We find ourselves in this situation because of our carnal desires and our inability to exercise self control en masse.

A quick bunk up on a Saturday night is a weighty privilege, not an entitlement with no consequences.

Ring, ring...the 1950's called. They want their point of view back! :D

Seriously, I am not promoting promiscuous sex. I was taught by my parents that while sex can be a lot of fun, absolutely nothing compares to sex with someone you truly love. I believe they were right, and they also taught me something else. It's a big world, and not everyone thinks the same about sex, gender, preference, and so on. So pushing my own narrow views of human sexuality on others will just make me sound "holier than thou", and will never change how others behave. Of course it is perfectly fine to point out that sex can be dangerous and/or exploitive but, IMO, it is not ok to lecture others how or when to practice consensual sex.

Phoebe Bridgers another speaking out very forcefully at Glastonbury with a “f*** the Supreme Court” crowd chant (Twitter). So good to see so many American artists railing against this radicalised religious authoritarian shit.

I’m surprised at you, Steve. The leadership of many parts of the world, including (as we are seeing) in ‘Christian’ USA, are very good at being extremists and misogynists, and citing holy writ as cover for that.
I didn't say otherwise. The subject I replied to was Islam.

I’m simply pointing out that facile arguments work both ways.

I see religious beliefs trying to trump biology and/or common sense as not worth wasting my time arguing about.
No, you werew attempting to counter my point, which was not facile and which did not attempt to justify religious beliefs, with a facile argument. Unsurprisingly, it failed.

I didn't say otherwise. The subject I replied to was Islam.
Yes, but singling out Islam, as you appeared to, overlooks the evident fact that most leadership will exploit religious POVs if they will help its cause. Islam is no worse, and arguably has done less damage in the world, than Christianity.

There’s nothing better than a bunch of middle-aged (or older) men pontificating about women’s right to choose about what happens to their bodies.

Absolutely, but it's not hypocritical to do it if you support them, the whole thread is pointless. It's one of the most unethical and blindly ignorant things America has ever done, it needs to be corrected as soon as possible it doesn't need a thread to qualify that. It's like having a thread about how paedophiles are terrible or about how much of a dishonest arse Johnson is, it just doesn't need to be said.

I heard the news and thought to myself "well, that's f&$%ing terrible" job done. Now I just have to hope that America as a society can change the direction they are heading, because there is absolutely sod all I can do about it apart from sympathise with the women it's going to affect.

Absolutely, but it's not hypocritical to do it if you support them, the whole thread is pointless. It's one of the most unethical and blindly ignorant things America has ever done, it needs to be corrected as soon as possible it doesn't need a thread to qualify that. It's like having a thread about how paedophiles are terrible or about how much of a dishonest arse Johnson is, it just doesn't need to be said.

I heard the news and thought to myself "well, that's f&$%ing terrible" job done. Now I just have to hope that America as a society can change the direction they are heading, because there is absolutely sod all I can do about it apart from sympathise with the women it's going to affect.
Are you arguing that we shouldn’t discuss it because we can’t change it? Or am I misunderstanding your points on this thread. Only you seem to be hoping that American can change it, but presumably without discussing it, then?

Yes, but singling out Islam, as you appeared to, overlooks the evident fact that most leadership will exploit religious POVs if they will help its cause. Islam is no worse, and arguably has done less damage in the world, than Christianity.
I wasn't singling them out. Somebody said, with a note of surprise, that Islam had a quite accurate view of human life for an ancient text. I went on to say that they used to be the centre of knowledge in the ancient world, and, thinking of recent events in for example Afghanistan, made my comment about subversion of texts in the modern world. Of course, this is exactly what the religious Christian fundamentalists have done in the USA. Also what similar people did in northern Ireland to justify murder.

Ring, ring...the 1950's called. They want their point of view back! :D

Seriously, I am not promoting promiscuous sex. I was taught by my parents that while sex can be a lot of fun, absolutely nothing compares to sex with someone you truly love. I believe they were right, and they also taught me something else. It's a big world, and not everyone thinks the same about sex, gender, preference, and so on. So pushing my own narrow views of human sexuality on others will just make me sound "holier than thou", and will never change how others behave. Of course it is perfectly fine to point out that sex can be dangerous and/or exploitive but, IMO, it is not ok to lecture others how or when to practice consensual sex.

I'm glad you took my point as intended, unplanned pregnancy can be a very emotionally traumatic time. I'm in no way actually saying we shouldn't be enjoying sex, but better education in schools would certainly help with pregnancy awareness.

advertisement

Back