advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

Are you arguing that we shouldn’t discuss it because we can’t change it? Or am I misunderstanding your points on this thread. Only you seem to be hoping that American can change it, but presumably without discussing it, then?

What's the point of us discussing it? Will American law makers take our opinions into consideration?

Tell me one way in which as a non Anerican resident I can do anything about it?

Are you arguing that we shouldn’t discuss it because we can’t change it? Or am I misunderstanding your points on this thread. Only you seem to be hoping that American can change it, but presumably without discussing it, then?

It's interesting that you automatically assume I'm arguing.

I heard the news and thought to myself "well, that's f&$%ing terrible" job done. Now I just have to hope that America as a society can change the direction they are heading, because there is absolutely sod all I can do about it apart from sympathise with the women it's going to affect.
Same here. I'm over 40, single, childless and I live in a place (DK) that's fortunately unlikely to follow the path that the US has chosen. The odds of this affecting me personally are effectively zero and there's also very little I can do about it (unfortunately).

What does get my blood boiling is partly that the people who made this decision did it mostly to placate their own imaginary friends without any concern for the people affected, and partly a genuine despair at knowing that this decision will have severe consequences for thousands if not millons of women and children who will have to bear out the consequences over the next many years.

I'm glad you took my point as intended, unplanned pregnancy can be a very emotionally traumatic time. I'm in no way actually saying we shouldn't be enjoying sex, but better education in schools would certainly help with pregnancy awareness.
Better education in schools? Come on. Every child in my school knew about pregnancy and sex at the age of 12, and that was 40+ years ago. Good old Unit Six of the science textbook in first year, and eve ry copy amended to "Unit Sex" in child's biro. I don't think that's changed. We all get taught.

It's interesting that you automatically assume I'm arguing.
It’s interesting that you seem to think arguing is bad. We are discussing, and each person is arguing for their own point. That’s all. And if we ought not to if we can’t change anything, does that not rather invalidate the whole purpose of this forum. And perhaps a global groundswell of repugnance will help to get this overturned. Keeping silent certainly won’t.

Better education in schools? Come on. Every child in my school knew about pregnancy and sex at the age of 12, and that was 40+ years ago. Good old Unit Six of the science textbook in first year, and eve ry copy amended to "Unit Sex" in child's biro. I don't think that's changed. We all get taught.

Christian school boards have banned sex education and the teaching of contraception.

Which did you learn first, where to put it or that you should have a condom on it?

It’s interesting that you seem to think arguing is bad. We are discussing, and each person is arguing for their own point. That’s all. And if we ought not to if we can’t change anything, does that not rather invalidate the whole purpose of this forum. And perhaps a global groundswell of repugnance will help to get this overturned. Keeping silent certainly won’t.
It might. I'll toss my hat in the ring, this and the US lawmakers unwillingness to make any effort to reduce gun crime makes it a place that no longer want to visit. I've been a few times, the USA is beautiful and fascinating. However, right now, they aren't getting my tourist dollars. Europe is.

I think in forum land the term arguing has become synonymous with falling out.

Christian school boards have banned sex education and the teaching of contraception.

Which did you learn first, where to put it or that you should have a condom on it?
That's not mainstream teaching. That's a few extremists.

I have no idea what I learned first. Actually I do remember, I initially thought, in primary school, that peeing was involved, in which case a condom would have been neither useful nor necessary.

I have no idea what I learned first. Actually I do remember, I initially thought, in primary school, that peeing was involved, in which case a condom would have been neither useful nor necessary.
I was fortunately to have an idea understood women had three holes whilst we men had two as I neared 10

It might. I'll toss my hat in the ring, this and the US lawmakers unwillingness to make any effort to reduce gun crime makes it a place that no longer want to visit. I've been a few times, the USA is beautiful and fascinating. However, right now, they aren't getting my tourist dollars. Europe is.
So glad you said that. I’ve never been to the USA but there are many things there I’d like to see and experience. But I’ve decided that it just isn’t the sort of place I want to visit now. Partly I don’t want to spend my money there; partly I can’t ignore the possibility of being caught up in a random shooting, or getting into a fatal misunderstanding with its police. And I’m not in the habit of giving support to the Taliban, so why would I give it to the American equivalent?

That sounds very much like you are saying you weren't well educated enough in the subject at a time when you were aware of it.

The C of E VA primary school where I am a governor, very much linked to a church on the evangelical part of the C of E, teaches sex ed in upper KS2 (not mandatory under government guidance, even the new guidance, but something that we feel is in the best interests of our pupils).

The C of E VA primary school where I am a governor, very much linked to a church on the evangelical part of the C of E, teaches sex ed in upper KS2 (not mandatory under government guidance, even the new guidance, but something that we feel is in the best interests of our pupils).

My apologies, I was referring to US school boards where this issue is currently at boiling point.

I'm 63 and there was nothing at school and nothing at home.

Society should remember that sex is a method of procreation, the natural result of intercourse is pregnancy. We find ourselves in this situation because of our carnal desires and our inability to exercise self control en masse.

A quick bunk up on a Saturday night is a weighty privilege, not an entitlement with no consequences.
Sex as a method of procreation is not definitive. There’s just a bit more to it than that

advertisement

Back