advertisement

Power cable recommendations....

I wish I’d kept a note of the two other times I’ve posted this, but ‘expectation’ bias is a poorly chosen name given to a phenomenon that is not affected at all by your conscious expectation, whatever it may be, if your subconscious pre-conditioning has tweaked your subconscious to think there may be a difference.

I’m keeping out of cable discussions, but this is a common technical error that I (and a bunch of statisticians) spent a good portion of my working life trying to prevent ruining my expensive experiments.

I remember Rick Stein trying to choose between Organic and plain vanilla chicken and getting it wrong in a blind test. He just thought he knew better and made a fool of himself...

I wish I’d kept a note of the two other times I’ve posted this, but ‘expectation’ bias is a poorly chosen name given to a phenomenon that is not affected at all by your conscious expectation, whatever it may be, if your subconscious pre-conditioning has tweaked your subconscious to think there may be a difference.

I’m keeping out of cable discussions, but this is a common technical error that I (and a bunch of statisticians) spent a good portion of my working life trying to prevent ruining my expensive experiments.
Yes, I recall we've been round this one before. It's a term that has been misappropriated, but is now lodged in place. To the extent that it is broadly understood to mean what it means in this particular context, I find it's easier to use it than try to correct the general understanding. But the principle behind my argument still pertains, I think, inasmuch as the 'bias' (whatever it is called) can work in both directions. If you're unconsciously conditioned to expect one, or other result, you'll detect* things that reinforce that conditioning.

*or fail to detect

I remember Rick Stein try to choose between Organic and plain vanilla chicken and getting it wrong in a blind test. He just thought he knew better and made a fool of himself...

Taste is a classic victim of this effect! I did an experiment psychology subsidiary course at university - pre ethics committees and health and safety - and we had our taste buds played with in so many ways to demonstrate expectation bias!

I like orange cables. I think orange cables look well cool and also really expensive. If you can find a cheap orange cable then you’re on to a winner as your wife, friends, and family will all think you spent thousands, giving you a warm glow.

I asked him all that stuff as well, but His answers are confidential.

Now when I talk to God, I know He understands
He says "Stick by me and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
God being Peter Green? Lol

It is odd though isn't it. You ask for advice on an audio forum and people who have been really interested in the hobby for 30 plus years and who have huge experience give you answers you don't like so you get a cob on. You can always ignore posts that you don't like. It is notable that the majority of contributors think it makes sod all difference. Which considering the fact the techies have been warned off coming in to such threads, and so don't, probably means that the pfm consensus is they do **** all.

It is odd though isn't it. You ask for advice on an audio forum and people who have been really interested in the hobby for 30 plus years and who have huge experience give you answers you don't like so you get a cob on. You can always ignore posts that you don't like. It is notable that fewer than 10% of contributors think it makes sod all difference. Which considering the fact the techies have been warned off coming in to such threads, and so don't, probably means that the pfm consensus is they do **** all.
Did not know techies have been warned off making contributions to such threads. Wonder why?. Surely such contributions would enlighten the OP.

I asked my electrician colleague at work today, can a power lead make any difference? “No, power is power”.

'You better prove to the man
You're as strong as him
Cause in the eyes of god
You're both children to him' -- Jimi Hendrix

Anyway,

' My friend says that......'
'The forum says that .....'
'Ive read on the internet that ....'

Forget it , its your system in your room and its your money. Just borrow whatever cable your interested in and try it yourself with your ears. Then either buy it or send it back. Simple.

Did not know techies have been warned off making contributions to such threads. Wonder why?. Surely such contributions would enlighten the OP.
To be honest it was a bit much and just led to endless circular arguments and bad feeling. I've said my bit now and am done the only reason I posted (3 posts in 5 pages) was to express surprise that this was still 'a thing' warranting any enquiry at all with pfm members.

I asked my electrician colleague at work today, can a power lead make any difference? “No, power is power”.

My maxim has always been if you can't get the answer you want on a hifi forum, ask a taxi driver.

It does admittedly involve a degree of what might be termed low expectation bias.

You don't actually find out anything about power cables, but you do learn who's to blame.

I wish I’d kept a note of the two other times I’ve posted this,

If you've only posted the same thing twice, where's your commitment, man?

Probably need to trot it out another 30-40 times before the majority of readers even start to be aware of a vague feeling of familiarity.

The good thing is it doesn't necessarily need to be in a thread remotely appropriate for your comment, just bang it out there at every opportunity.

Quite a few I can think of adopted such an approach a long time ago and have resolutely stuck to it.

Probably need to trot it out another 30-40 times before the majority of readers even start to be aware of a vague feeling of familiarity.

The good thing is it doesn't necessarily need to be in a thread remotely appropriate for your comment, just bang it out there at every opportunity.

Quite a few I can think of adopted such an approach a long time ago and have resolutely stuck to it.

Luckily…

1. I have a life, and

2. I have been very highly trained to be able to recognise when I’m banging my head against a brick wall :)

Cable threads are always interesting...some thread about a valve made in 1951 is boring..or some thread about some old speaker? Yawn....but cable threads are great! The great and good turn up and cast their ' wisdom ' wisely! The grumps appear and rattle their own cages..then eventually keith turns up and then thats it....till the next time! Lol

Hi all,

Just thought I would ask your collective wisdom on great sounding power cables in the 300-600ish quid range. I have tried the Puritan Ultimate, Audioquest Blizzard and Thunder, Atlas EOS 4dd and even a homemade jobbie. Any recommendation for your favourite cable of your own?

Have you tried EWA mains cables?
https://www.abcaudio.biz/mainspower

I couldn't hear any difference in my system with different mains cables but under the circumstances I had to audition different speaker cables and interconnects at the same time without much time do try all permutations.

advertisement

Back