advertisement

£8 pint

Pub prices are as much or more to do with building costs, be it rent or purchase price, then there are things like business rates, heating and lighting costs, wages and other costs rather than the cost of the beer.

New England and Double I assume. I had some amazing NEIPA from Treehouse in Boston recently and have become a convert to the hazy IPA’s common in NE.

I am missing it right now, interested to hear where you can get it.
A lot of craft breweries do mail order. If you’re into the hazy IPAs, and NEIPAs you could do a lot worse than checking out Cloudwater brewery (Manchester) and Left Handed Giant (Bristol). These are two of my favourites.

It’s made rounds impossible, a situation I don’t really know how to deal with socially.
We’ve taken to sharing a round, so two of us will go halves on a round. That means people don’t feel inhibited in asking for one of the pricier offerings because it all comes around sooner or later.

I paid £4.40 for two pints of lager in a local Sam Smiths pub this week.
I think Sam Smiths pubs and Old Brewery bitter are about the cheapest in Central London now. Generally much cheaper than Wetherspoons and some much nicer pubs like the
Princess Louise, Angel and Cheshire Cheese.

I think Sam Smiths pubs and Old Brewery bitter are about the cheapest in Central London now. Generally much cheaper than Wetherspoons and some much nicer pubs like the
Princess Louise, Angel and Cheshire Cheese.
The owner is an arse, though, with a singularly intolerant attitude towards mobile phone use, who isn’t above dismissing staff who don’t enforce his rules rigorously enough for his liking. I used to love Sam Smiths OBB, but haven’t set foot in one of his pubs for a couple of years now.

In my local yesterday and asked the landlord if they were doing the 10p pints like everyone else....didn't get far with it but it got a laugh..:rolleyes:
Still between £4-£5 pint dependent upon strength.
It's a great pub.
But was miffed yesterday when I saw Summer Lightning written on the board....but it had already gone...

I really feel for the local privately owned pubs. Couple of years of covid hell swiftly followed by massively increasing price rises which will hugely reduce their business yet again because nobody will be able to afford to go out.
Going to keep going until I really can't any more or the landlord and lady call it a day...which probably won't be that long, they are both well into their 80's.

We’ve just been for a meal for two. £135..pre-covid it would have been £80 / £90. We’ll be out less often.

20 quid? You ain’t been out in a while lol

Years ago, before beers got to near wine strength, we used to drink the Hicks from St Austell brewery mentioned up thread . The joke was you would be drunk before you could see the bottom of the glass. It was strong and had a strange flavour that it shared with likes of Special Brew. Not that pleasant to be honest. I suspect that negative general flavour of strong beers has been filtered out in some way. I see also the half pint is no longer the careful choice. Gintonic, our man at the coal face sometimes has a third if it’s particularly strong.

Years ago, before beers got to near wine strength, we used to drink the Hicks from St Austell brewery mentioned up thread . The joke was you would be drunk before you could see the bottom of the glass. It was strong and had a strange flavour that it shared with likes of Special Brew. Not that pleasant to be honest. I suspect that negative general flavour of strong beers has been filtered out in some way. I see also the half pint is no longer the careful choice. Gintonic, our man at the coal face sometimes has a third if it’s particularly strong.

HSD. Happy days. Mind you, Spingo was another level altogether!

My local Bathams pub, a proper pub - no juke box, no one armed bandits, no hot food, no crapft beer, no pretentions or pretentious twats - charges £3.30 a pint and many think that is too much.

For a pint! Jeez they saw you (and no doubt many other mugs) coming.....

Chav, you are so wrong! GT is our man that tests the beers we should be drinking. He puts his liver on the line and is funded solely by a humble university salary that you personally pay for :) ( just guessing )

HSD. Happy days. Mind you, Spingo was another level altogether!

We often spent Flora Day in the Blue Anchor. I’ve seen peeps drink a full pint of another man’s piss and seen punters fall ten foot into the adjoining garden, dust themselves off and be helped up by mates and given another drink. Then there is the four mile walk back to Porthleven for a decent sleep. We live there now and are more sober but still have a little smile when we walk past the holiday let we slept over twenty people in one night all them years ago.

The owner is an arse, though, with a singularly intolerant attitude towards mobile phone use, who isn’t above dismissing staff who don’t enforce his rules rigorously enough for his liking. I used to love Sam Smiths OBB, but haven’t set foot in one of his pubs for a couple of years now.
He’s also pretty vile to tenant landlords.

advertisement

Back