advertisement

Classic Thorens TD 135 mk i

I’ll be very interested to see what you make of them and to see some internal construction pics if you strip them down for servicing.

If they are indeed plasticky I will dampen them and see what gives.

Stripping them down may be a good dress rehearsal for the Thorens 135.

Looks really nice. It’s a blurry photo, but I think the rivets on the bearing housings on the E50 have been drilled out and replaced with machine screws suggesting the motor has been fully stripped and serviced at some time

It will be interesting to see when the unit arrives. Then I will be able to assess how "noisy" it is compared to my silent PTP6 Lenco 75. Also I am interested in seeing if it has some of the mk ii "upgrades" already installed. That would be great. The tonearm can be "upgraded" to mk ii with a retro-fittable anti-skate upgrade kit, it seems. If I can find one.

Another interesting Thorens model is the US-only Thorens TD121 where you have to remove the platter in order to change speeds. It has the same smaller bearing of the Thorens 135, whereas the tonearm is on a separate board like it is the case with the Thorens 124.

EDITED

Oh. I still have a Thorens TD 124 tonearm board drilled for use with Linn (and other?) tonearms. Good. That will make installing a second tonearm on the Thorens 135 a lot easier.

And since I will be using multiple turntables, I am happy that I just bought a Cambridge 640P. I wonder if @Arkless Electronics is still at it or has he become permanently deleted from here?

I don’t know, I have no direct experience of the TD-135, but I’d expect so. I’d ask Audio Silente, he’ll know for sure.

It will be interesting to see when the unit arrives. Then I will be able to assess how "noisy" it is compared to my silent PTP6 Lenco 75. Also I am interested in seeing if it has some of the mk ii "upgrades" already installed. That would be great. The tonearm can be "upgraded" to mk ii with a retro-fittable anti-skate upgrade kit, it seems. If I can find one.

Another interesting Thorens model is the US-only Thorens TD121 where you have to remove the platter in order to change speeds. It has the same smaller bearing of the Thorens 135, whereas the tonearm is on a separate board like it is the case with the Thorens 124.
Any photos of the Lenco?

I am sure I can find one or two. It is in a Acoustand plinth and now has two tonearms on it.

This is as I received it with a Bokrand Ortofon tonearm:
nEUwq0Ol.jpg

Here it is with a Kuzma Stogi S 12 VTA tonearm (I rotated the Lenco around to accomodate the new arm). The original arm hole is below the red Decca box:
saB0Gkvl.jpg

Here is photos that give a nice view of the PTP6 top plate from when I was installing the Kuzma tonearm:
o4yesB0l.jpg

vHjTOhvl.jpg

Trying out positions with two tonearms:
3tiAPYRl.jpg

Here it is with an FR 24 mkii tonearm and my Poul Ladegaard Air Bearing tonearm mk i (I plan an mk ii):
vs8r47gl.jpg

Photos of the Thorens 110 - yes the "shell" / plinth is plastic but the top plate is aluminium that can be dampened. I may want to replinth in wood if it is possible.

6cPF84Kl.jpg

JGERnebh.jpg

The Thorens 115 is here. I bought it for the lid (although it has the standard crack), the complete lid back panel and unbroken lid holders, the extra tone arm wand and a few other parts. The 110 and 115 are both fairly clean examples. They look good, I think, but I am not a huge fan of the plastic enclosure. The top plate is fine.

The Thorens TD 110 is all manual with 33/45 speed modes

The Thorens TD 115 mk I adds...
(1) auto lift-off
(2) auto shut-off

The Thorens Td 115 mk II again adds ...
(3) 78-speed mode

I will have to see which of the two units works the best for me. The auto-shut offf would be nice. I never play back 78-speed vinyl

Congrats Dandy, you just flunked your GCSE Maths exam, A-level, with an E for effort. :D
Or did you just squeeze through? I'm not fluent in your grading system.

Typo, you should have quoted me :)
Was actually ok at maths, wouldn’t call myself an academic though

advertisement

Back