advertisement

Streamer vs cd player

nbaptista

pfm Member
As you should know I have a Bluesound node 2i . Before I used to listen cd´s, but now I am questioning myself if I should ditch the cd format and use only the streamer. Of course I´m not giving up my cd´s, just thinking not buy anymore cd´s and use instead the streaming solution.What you think ? I guess is useless buy cd´s if I can listen it on Spotify or Tidal.

As you should know I have a Bluesound node 2i . Before I used to listen cd´s, but now I am questioning myself if I should ditch the cd format and use only the streamer. Of course I´m not giving up my cd´s, just thinking not buy anymore cd´s and use instead the streaming solution.What you think ? I guess is useless buy cd´s if I can listen it on Spotify or Tidal.

only you can decide. you and your ears.

I prefer CDs or records tbh but streaming via Qobus or Tidal/Spotify is very good for many peoples taste but not really representative of mine personally.

Many many cds i listen to are not available at all on tidal and only very limited on spotify . Still prefer cd , only tonight was reading cd covers of 2 albums and all the bumpf that goes with it .lemon jelly and michael kiwanake

I stream CDs I own and rip. I barely use the CD player at all. SQ is the same, stories are better. Convenience is miles better.

Whether or not its cheaper rather depends. Had I not had so many CDs when the streaming services got going then maybe I'd've made a different choice.

The other factor for me is that I know that one day I won't have the money for streaming subscriptions even if maybe I do for now. If I went over to subscription streaming that day would cost me all my music and I don't need to put myself in that position. Youtube is quite good for new music now as is BBC Sounds and a couple of local "community" stations, aka pirate radio. And my grown up children and forum recommendations steer me to a few as well. It feels as sorted as I need it to be. And so much easier than it was even twenty years ago.

I don't think this is really a SQ question I think those other things matter more.

Reactions: mjw
I don't think this is really a SQ question I think those other things matter more.
This chimes with me. I occasionally am dissatisfied with Spotty via very revealing headphone/Pi/Allo setup but it’s excellent through a dedicated channel on my Lyngdorf digital amp with speakers. I wonder if manufactures optimise such popular service providers for their equipment?
My ears are 73 yrs old BTW. It’s a factor one shouldn’t forget when pontificating:)

This chimes with me. I occasionally am dissatisfied with Spotty via very revealing headphone/Pi/Allo setup but it’s excellent through a dedicated channel on my Lyngdorf digital amp with speakers. I wonder if manufactures optimise such popular service providers for their equipment?
My ears are 73 yrs old BTW. It’s a factor one shouldn’t forget when pontificating:)

Definitely, maybe we should have age in our avatars!

My 60 year old ears aren't great (one is really poor) but I can still hear the difference between BBC Sounds and FLAC files streamed from my server. What I can't hear is any difference between the FLAC files and my CD player. So the CD player is largely redundant but I still buy CDs.

Until I got a decent streamer, Linn Sekrit DSM, CD was better than streaming on a PC with a Soundblaster X-Fi HD. Now I use streaming most of the time for convenience but still use CDs, on a CDP338ESD, from time to time. In SQ terms the streamer is slightly better than CD when streaming Quboz. However it's so close that mastering is often the deciding factor for SQ.

Ripped my cds to innuos and these are mixed in with my Roon albums via quboz.. still play records though
Genuinely baffled why you'd pay for Roon when you have the excellent InnuOS Sense 2.0 software & app that is fully integrated with Qobuz - maybe it's a daft question as I've never used Roon?

I still have a universal CD/SACD/DVD/BLURAY player but I very rarely use it even if it is connected to the silly price DAC.

I use Roon to play files (rips and downloads) from my NAS but after two lengthy trials didn't find Tidal convincing enough to take out a subscription. I never heard any major plus from their MQA service and generally thought Tidal did not sound as good as my NAS.

On the rare occasions when I buy a CD, it gets ripped immediately and I play the rip. I generally buy CDs when they are significantly cheaper than the CD-res download and there is no hi-res available.

Genuinely baffled why you'd pay for Roon when you have the excellent InnuOS Sense 2.0 software & app that is fully integrated with Qobuz - maybe it's a daft question as I've never used Roon?
Because sense is not yet over Ethernet to my streamer.. as soon as it is then Roon will be gone but I do use Roon radio a lot and have found lots of new music this way

Because sense is not yet over Ethernet to my streamer.. as soon as it is then Roon will be gone but I do use Roon radio a lot and have found lots of new music this way
Understood - I hadn't considered that as I stream directly from the USB out on the Zenith.Which streamer do you use?

For me (57 and age prob makes a difference) listening to music is an event, never for background. It involves effort (select disc whether cd or vinyl) and i listen from start to finish (never skipped a song in my life) If the artists album is loaded with duff songs etc i wont play it for one or two goodies.
For me Streaming (and i tried oh i tried) is not part of the enjoyment i want from the event of listening.
But its convenient for some, can sound as good or better than disc.
But im old and live in the past, so forgive me.
I do feel sorry for Artists now though, every song cant be a blockbuster but still deserves to be heard.

advertisement

Back