advertisement

KEF LS60 - real or hoax?

It looks like the standmount and the smaller of the two floorstanders at least should cost less. I'll share the prices as soon as I have confirmation on all three passive and DSP active wireless models.

oh that sounds exciting, - so there’s not just one new speaker, but a standmount and two floorstandsrs??

I have never bought LS50’s as they are just too small, but my next speaker needs to ideally be a large stand mount, so if they’ve put three drivers in a stand mount, that would be ideal…!

Sorry I cannot disclose any info on the technique.
I have been running the analogue pre-cursor to this technology for about 10 years. IMO the excellent measured performance correlates very well with better sound.

When I had Kii3s here, I was initially very disappointed with the sound, after warm-up they sounded a lot better, particularly at LF. Still wouldn't swap my system for Kii3s though.

Well the KC62 uses “Smart Distortion Control Technology” which is, I believe, feedback so the LS60 woofers will likely use similar technology. Not sure if KEF use accelerometers or just sense the back emf off the coil, very likely the latter because of cost.

We’ll find out soon enough.

And it has that daft sticky-out badge!
Still... I will want to hear it once available. Any idea of price yet?

I'd imagine that other custom finishes will be along later like with the LS50 models

I'd certainly like to hear a pair

Google turned up a white paper for the KC62 subwoofer. An extract:

“Smart Distorton Control Technology (SDCT) is a hybrid system combining DSP pre-correcton with indirect cone moton sensing and feedback. These two component systems are specifically designed to work together, each tackling different distorton mechanisms (Figure 11).”

So KEF use both pre-distortion and feedback off the voice coil. No mystery here.

Sorry I cannot disclose any info on the technique.
I have been running the analogue pre-cursor to this technology for about 10 years. IMO the excellent measured performance correlates very well with better sound.

When I had Kii3s here, I was initially very disappointed with the sound, after warm-up they sounded a lot better, particularly at LF. Still wouldn't swap my system for Kii3s though.

The White Paper for the LS60, with lots of interesting data, is here:

https://us.kef.com/pub/media/ls60-content/LS60W_WP.pdf

According to the Spinorama, directivity is extremely well controlled, well up to Genelec standards, albeit narrower than I would have liked.

Edit: The more I look at the White Paper, the more impressed I am. The compression curves are quite informative. High bass SPL below 100 Hz will require subs.

If only other manufacturers were as open with performance data….

Narrower/wider is largely down to personal preference but they look superb.
£6k
Keith

Agree. I am firmly in the wider camp, hence my preference for Revel floor standers.

Do you know whether this is the larger or smaller of the two floor standers that are to be released?

I haven’t heard if there are to be other models I believe this is a one off, though if there are an active ‘Blade’ would be my preference.
Keith

Like the Kef Blades I do wonder how stable these cabinets are if they were nudged from the side. With the drivers high up and what appears to be a relatively narrow base.
Must admit I wasn’t keen on the Blades initially but they’ve grown on me, I suspect these may be the same especially in black with the copper midrange/ tweeter assembly.

This set up isn’t unique to Kef though, Dynaudio have had similar offerings with their Focus XD range for a number of years.

Like the Kef Blades I do wonder how stable these cabinets are if they were nudged from the side. With the drivers high up and what appears to be a relatively narrow base.
Must admit I wasn’t keen on the Blades initially but they’ve grown on me, I suspect these may be the same especially in black with the copper midrange/ tweeter assembly.

This set up isn’t unique to Kef though, Dynaudio have had similar offerings with their Focus XD range for a number of years.

The Blade/LS60 driver layout is somewhat rare I believe, the idea of point-sourceness down to the bass combined with low cabinet-edge diffraction.

Main problem as with similar speakers is the volume control. I hate setting volume from an app slider or a flimsy remote. Kii of course made their control for this purpose.

advertisement

Back