advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Sorry this was not identifying your watch but offering a Reverso that covered the outdoor and diving requests of @stevec67
No diving for me thanks. I'm a climber, not a sea dweller. The Alpinist is the grail watch for me, I'm done. I might have others for fun but they will be lower priced, naturally. The Reverso is great, but it doesn't look the part for the outdoors. It's a dress watch. Poking out of a shift cuff, great, but bumping around a tent? Nah.

I'd quite like a get a better strap for my bargain Casio Duro.

I'm a confirmed lentil muncher so leather is out. I'm wondering about a mesh bracelet but open minded. Would anyone care to suggest something decent-ish but budget (less than £25 if poss!) - lug width is 22mm.

@stevec67 Have you looked at a Grand Sport Reverso ? It is not the Duo so when you are doing things which may be rough and tough you just flip the front over and have a solid stainless steel back shown to the world it is the idea of the watch that it should be very able to handle rough treatment . The design was originally for Polo players so that when it was reversed it could take a full strike from a polo mallet and not show any damage . Do a search have a look at one , if you need any additional functions there is a Chronograph version . I just think they make a great single buy watch that will do everything including be waterproof down to 200m which might be useful when climbing and looking like one of the most singular and elegant watches made. This would have been my ultimate watch but they stopped making them and this then resulted in a huge hike in the second hand value which priced me sadly out of the market .

Obviously looks better on the wrist. Ahem.

What do the two bits at the top do?

DSC04441.jpg

I bloody LOVE MB&F watches. They are like little steam-punk spaceships that you can wear on your wrist.

An acquired taste, let's say.

Max Busser (the M and the B ) has just done quite a nice thing and released an "entry level" MB&F watch under a sub brand called MAD. These are massively over-subscribed, so he allocated the planned production by lottery.

I took part in the lottery, without success unfortunately, but it was still a fairer way to distribute the watches in comparison to other companies.

@stevec67 Have you looked at a Grand Sport Reverso ? It is not the Duo so when you are doing things which may be rough and tough you just flip the front over and have a solid stainless steel back shown to the world it is the idea of the watch that it should be very able to handle rough treatment . The design was originally for Polo players so that when it was reversed it could take a full strike from a polo mallet and not show any damage . Do a search have a look at one , if you need any additional functions there is a Chronograph version . I just think they make a great single buy watch that will do everything including be waterproof down to 200m which might be useful when climbing and looking like one of the most singular and elegant watches made. This would have been my ultimate watch but they stopped making them and this then resulted in a huge hike in the second hand value which priced me sadly out of the market .
Nice thought, and thanks, but I don't think that the shape works for a sports watch. In addition, if I found myself under water while climbing the state of my watch would be the least of my concerns! I've been in some seams in the mountains, but fortunately the risk of drowning has never featured.
my Alpinist is still the one.

Let's face it, despite our conceit to the contrary, expensive wristwatches are nothing more than male jewelry. It's no coincidence that most watch brands are owned by large luxury groups and are marketed using the strategy and tactics familiar to makers of handbags, high end fashion, etc. If I were going hiking, fishing, swimming, woodworking or any outdoor activity that would get me sweaty, wet or dirty, I'd strap on a cheap robust watch from Citizen, Seiko or G Shock or no watch at all, not a Rolex Sub or JLC. The days when these expensive 'tool' watches were needed are long gone and I'd conjecture that 99% of these watches have never ever seen seawater, the polo field or the inside of a cockpit. It's all a marketing myth designed to appeal to the 'man' in all of us.

So buy the watch because you like it or because it 'signals' your coolness or status. But don't kid ourselves that it's about anything more than that.

-- (from a watch lover)

Let's face it, despite our conceit to the contrary, expensive wristwatches are nothing more than male jewelry. It's no coincidence that most watch brands are owned by large luxury groups and are marketed using the strategy and tactics familiar to makers of handbags, high end fashion, etc. If I were going hiking, fishing, swimming, woodworking or any outdoor activity that would get me sweaty, wet or dirty, I'd strap on a cheap robust watch from Citizen, Seiko or G Shock or no watch at all, not a Rolex Sub or JLC. The days when these expensive 'tool' watches were needed are long gone and I'd conjecture that 99% of these watches have never ever seen seawater, the polo field or the inside of a cockpit. It's all a marketing myth designed to appeal to the 'man' in all of us.

So buy the watch because you like it or because it 'signals' your coolness or status. But don't kid ourselves that it's about anything more than that.

-- (from a watch lover)
Of course, but he careful where you say this, people may get a bit heated. Especially the j-word. So yes, you're absolutely right. I have an Alpinist on my wrist now, but it's going to the office. I wouldn't be shoving it in the rucksack while climbing, I've a cheaper one for those trips, and even that one doesn't get scraped up the climbs.

Let's face it, despite our conceit to the contrary, expensive wristwatches are nothing more than male jewelry. ...

Reading that, for some mysterious reason my mind decided to substitute "high-end audio" in place of "expensive wristwatches" and I was considering the result ...

I'd quite like a get a better strap for my bargain Casio Duro.

I'm a confirmed lentil muncher so leather is out. I'm wondering about a mesh bracelet but open minded. Would anyone care to suggest something decent-ish but budget (less than £25 if poss!) - lug width is 22mm.

I use one of these velcro straps with my Casio Duro and it does the job just fine. It's worth noting however that while the main wrist strap is 22mm wide, the appendage that holds the watch in place is only 20mm wide, so you can see the edges of the spring bars. It doesn't bother me too much although if I ever come across a 22mm velcro strap with a 22mm appendage then I'll buy it for sure as velcro straps are really comfortable and perfectly suitable for lentil munchers like you and me :)

71mxtNkfnLL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

-- (from a watch lover)
While I can see the point you make (and agree that it would indeed apply to a substantial proportion of owners), there is another angle. Those of us from a scientific/technical background tend to appreciate something nicely made and finished, something that, in a way, really shouldn't work as well as it should. I personally have always had a weakness for nicely-machined metal, and that even extends to the analytical equipment in the labs I sometimes frequent, and of couurse the watchmakers far surpass that. I personally would like to own a perpetual calendar, simply because I find it an astonising bit of mechanical wizardry (the prospect of having to sell an organ or two to finance it is what puts me off). So, even though a Lange or a Patek Philippe will forever be out of my reach, I enjoy the fact that such things exist and are sold, and that there are people who both can afford them and appreciate them for the mechanical marvels that they are.

With regard to "Rolex Sub or JLC", you know that the Rolex will take the beating, and that most JLCs won't. I bought my GMT-Master in 1975 (cost a whole 900 Swiss francs!), and it got regularly abused, and it took it all (apart from the plastic crystal, which tended to scratch). Ever since I found out how much the thing is now worth, when I am working on something (apart from writing boring patents), I swap it for a Citizen Nighthawk.

advertisement

Back