advertisement

Dog attacks "skyrocketing", now "an unrecognised public health crisis"

Funny how we never seem to have any kind of moral panic about road safety? No one gives a stuff unless it involves imagined threats from e-scooters & errant pedestrians.

Not sure how much of a problem dogs are but they certainly get lots of press coverage when something bad happens. As ever relative rarity leads to fascination.

I've had a number of breeds of dog over the years and the difference between them has been marked. In particular, a terrier we had was entirely focussed on killing small things, when out of the house, and would be liable to attack anything intruding into her personal space, or any Boxer dog within 100 yards.

:D

Spaniels are nuts, they have this switch in their head that say's 'I'm off mate, see ya!':D

The key to spaniel ownership, IMO, is recognising when that switch is about to be turned on before he does but it only takes seconds for you to make your move otherwise he's offski:D

I wasn’t being serious & I am not anti dog.
Our vet suggested pulling the teeth out of our Chihuahua.
The OH went mad. He's never hurt anyone but he does get over excited at postmen etc.
It would seem cruel to do that because he loves chewing his bones and crunching his mixer.
Some vets can be overzealous.

Funny how we never seem to have any kind of moral panic about road safety? No one gives a stuff unless it involves imagined threats from e-scooters & errant pedestrians.

Not sure how much of a problem dogs are but they certainly get lots of press coverage when something bad happens. As ever relative rarity leads to fascination.

Honda Jazz drivers!

Just saying:)

:D

Spaniels are nuts, they have this switch in their head that say's 'I'm off mate, see ya!':D

The key to spaniel ownership, IMO, is recognising when that switch is about to be turned on before he does but it only takes seconds for you to make your move otherwise he's offski:D
Same with that terrier - you could see her eyes go!

In terms of fatalities road accidents are far higher than dogs (hundreds vs single digits), but according to the stats below hospitalizations are a similar magnitude

https://www.statista.com/statistics/297523/dog-bite-victims-occurances-in-england-by-age/
https://www.statista.com/statistics...-accidents-age-and-severity-great-britain-uk/

Same with that terrier - you could see her eyes go!

I used to meet a Dogwalker who owned two Paterdales he was telling me that he took them to the local park one day for walk round the boating pond and they attacked and ripped apart a grey squirrel in front of a family with two toddlers, the guy said that he was completely mortified, the family were naturally very upset.

Dogs are like people
They are born with some inherited traits. A propensity to violence maybe, or an inherently calm and cheerful nature.

Then they come across their 'parents.

Everything, everything in life, is the fault of upbringing which makes something that could be neutral or good, into something bad.

There is no puppy or baby that might not grow up to be amazing
It's some of us that prevent that, sometimes, on purpose.

Those preventers and perverters.
It's them we don't need
Leave the damned puppies alone.

Definitely this. And it's always struck me as odd that the 'hard men' image types favour a powerful dog, such as a Staffie/Rottie/Pit Bull type as a way to bolster their image. Whereas in fact, what it says to me is 'I feel I need this dog to protect myself'.
It says to me “drug dealer”.

Drag it in to every thread dont you bicycle Bill?

The OH went mad. He's never hurt anyone but he does get over excited at postmen etc.
It would seem cruel to do that because he loves chewing his bones and crunching his mixer.
That vet should have his teeth pulled out. Without anaesthesia.

You really should have saved this for tomorrow morning;)

Guilty M'lud:D

PS, apologies to Honda Jazz drivers even though you lot are the worst drivers ever to get into the driver's seat of a 'car'.
Apart from Audi drivers obviously. I have noticed a bizarre correlation of idiocy with those driving cars supplied by ‘Arnold Clark’.

Breed really matters. It's obvious really - breeding is done to promote very specific behaviours and characteristics and it works.

I've had a number of breeds of dog over the years and the difference between them has been marked. In particular, a terrier we had was entirely focussed on killing small things, when out of the house, and would be liable to attack anything intruding into her personal space, or any Boxer dog within 100 yards. In the training venue she would be a model dog and easily passed the Kennel Club Gold award, but once out on a field she wouldn't even make eye contact, being solely focussed on hunting. If let off the lead she would end up rampaging through gardens in search of rabbits, so we weren't able to let her off the lead outdoors with any confidence until she was fifteen. Yes, if we'd spent (even more) countless hours training her for years, it might have made a difference, but she really was verging on being untrainable in some ways - little interest in food and very single minded. Luckily, she was effectively a long-legged Jack Russell so was not a threat to life and limb, and she was very tolerant of the cats at home. The cross Lab we had, on the other hand, was entirely agreeable, eager to please, and was never aggressive to anything.

Put the wrong breed of dog with the wrong type of owner and there will be trouble. Bully-breed dogs are capable of devastating attacks and yet seem to attract people with little concept of how to handle them safely and with little regard for the safety of others.

What can be done about it? Very little.

Matching a prospective owner with the breed of dog that’s right for them is essential, as is both dog and owner training.

That said, I’ve known a Pit Bull and a Rottweiler that were both sweethearts their entire lives and never hurt a fly.

Also knew a little Cockapoo who was poorly/never trained, and whose owner had to give it away after it repeatedly bit his kids.

I don’t know any dog owner who wouldn’t benefit from Caesar Milan’s advice on living with and providing leadership for a pack animal.

advertisement

Back