advertisement

New washing machine- anyone bought a satisfactory one recently?

The long cycles are to save energy, apparently. Save the planet and all that.

Even if it used less energy, I’d like to see the whole life energy impact for increased mechanical wear and shorter lifespan. It all sounds like one big con to me for manufacturers to shorten the replacement cycle and shift more boxes more often.

Even if it used less energy, I’d like to see the whole life energy impact for increased mechanical wear and shorter lifespan. It all sounds like one big con to me for manufacturers to shorten the replacement cycle and shift more boxes more often.
Maybe. Or maybe the engineers in these companies have actually calculated what they are doing and made sure the whole life energy cost is lower. Most estimates I've seen show that running a full dishwasher is more efficient that washing up by hand in the sink (certainly the case where I live: I have to let 10 litres of water run before I start to get hot water - the pipe layout in this house is really bizarre).

From what I can gather most European machines are very similar inside, which is no surprise as they're all made by 2 or 3 big companies, Bosch, Neff, Siemens for instance are all the same.

https://hubys.co.uk/news-informatio... Indesit and Creda,made in the same factories.

I treat washing machines like something you rent at around £100 per year. If you buy a cheap as chips £200-£300 machine then it should last 2-3 years, a "name" brand like Siemens is £500 and should last 5yrs, a Miele for £1k should last 10 years. Any extra is a bonus. I would only buy a machine that came with a 2yr/5yr/10yr warranty.

In my experience Miele stuff is better, we've had 2 of their dishwashers which were better and nicer to use and quieter than the AEG & Siemens models we also had. But once the warranty is up the spare part cost makes then totally uneconomic to repair.

If i was buying a washing machine I'd buy either the cheapest one with a big drum and fast spin, making sure it had a 2 or 3 year warranty, or a Miele as long as it came with a 10 year warranty.

HTH
Phil

Probably need a replacement. Last two purchases were AEG where on both occasions that five year warranty had to be invoked but otherwise ok.
The items currently on JL website look like you get more unwanted complexity the more you spend, with attendant problems ( zero interest in load sensing, dose control etc). Just want something with a big load capacity, high spin speed and stable/ quiet while spinning.

I bought a Miele washing machine in about 2013-ish. It was expensive but we hoped it would provide quality and reliability, which didn't turn out to be the case. It was unreliable and noisy, and had a few call-out repairs under warranty before it was dead after just 6 years. The washing machine gets a fair bit of use as we have kids & pets but not an unreasonable amount, and I was disappointed with the Miele.

Replaced with a mid-range Bosch Titan in 2019 which is much quieter, washes better and faster, hasn't missed a beat and was a third the price of the Miele. It can also be moved by a single human being.

Maybe. Or maybe the engineers in these companies have actually calculated what they are doing and made sure the whole life energy cost is lower. Most estimates I've seen show that running a full dishwasher is more efficient that washing up by hand in the sink (certainly the case where I live: I have to let 10 litres of water run before I start to get hot water - the pipe layout in this house is really bizarre).

I hope you’re right. Maybe I’m just too cynical. The new combi boiler at the new place (Vaillant) is amazing. Hot water is pretty much instant and underfloor heating lovely. Just not looking forward to the bill!

Yes, I’d agree. It’s a bit like ‘past performance isn’t a guide to future returns’. The new place I’ve just moved into has all Siemens appliances (which I’ve had previous bad experience with). The dishwasher takes forever to run a cycle, literally hours, although I can control it with my phone (WTF?!). The dishwasher in the old place was also a Siemens which had a 30 min quick wash, ideal once you’ve rinsed off. I don’t think all this ‘stuff’ is progress really. I’d prefer something simple but well engineered which lasts 25+ years.
Your appliances that use water will last longer with treated, softened water.

Your appliances that use water will last longer with treated, softened water.

Absolutely. We’ve had very soft water and now it’s somewhere in the middle. Tenants and dishwashers are the worst thing, they never put salt / rinse aid in and machines are pretty much disposable. In one (hard water) place I’ve got through 3 in 8 years.

At the risk of sounding like one of Flann O' Brien's pub bores, my cheap Beko machine is over 20 years old and still doing its job. Something quiter, more energy efficient and with a bigger drum would be nice though...

We had a shit time with miele on our last two machines, I think if you are willing to go to the grand mark then it will be a good time. The last one was 700 and didnt even realise it was just a 2 year warranty and had multiple issues.

We have an LG direct drive and its touch wood been superb for coming up 2 years, half the cost of miele and 5 year warranty as standard. Good enough for me.

We had a shit time with miele on our last two machines, I think if you are willing to go to the grand mark then it will be a good time. The last one was 700 and didnt even realise it was just a 2 year warranty and had multiple issues.

We have an LG direct drive and its touch wood been superb for coming up 2 years, half the cost of miele and 5 year warranty as standard. Good enough for me.
John Lewis aren’t advertising the 5 year warranty interestingly . I googled after reading your post and found a pdf doc on LG’s own website listing the models they’ll cover! Now that changes things…..

We also had a Miele that kept going wrong. Bosch was better. We've had a Samsung for a few years now and that seems pretty good.

Get the cheapest Miele.
We had a disastrous experience with our Miele washer-dryer. It was replaced twice under warranty (they couldn't fix it on either occasion) and it broke down twice after that. The spare parts were always 2 weeks away, too. It failed again at 6 years old and was beyond economical repair. We also had a Miele fridge and a dishwasher, both were beyond economical repair after 12 years, despite their much-vaunted 20 year design life.
My Mother-in-law also bought a Miele fridge, which failed after less than 1 month - it took them 3 weeks to fix it, so she had to manage 3 weeks without a fridge, in the middle of summer.
I wouldn't buy another Miele product.

I only buy the most basic with the longest guarantee , when it packs up buy a new one , The Indesit in current use must be at least 10+ years old now , It was a manager special from Currys

At the risk of sounding like one of Flann O' Brien's pub bores, my cheap Beko machine is over 20 years old and still doing its job. Something quiter, more energy efficient and with a bigger drum would be nice though...
I replaced the integrated Smeg dishwasher that was here when I moved in with a Beko in 2018 and it's superb. Again, wasn't a bank-breaker - my only reason for upping the spend slightly was to get one with a notification LED that shines on the floor to tell you when it's running/finished which is handy. That was one of the annoyances with the old machine.

The Beko is super-quiet and - so far - bang on reliability-wise.

The trouble with asking...
'anyone bought a satisfactory one recently?'

is that anyone who bought one recently has no way of knowing if it is satisfactory - time will only tell and time will not yet have had its' say...

Best buy something that has been tested by someone like Which? magazine from a brand that you would hope to still be around for the next 10 years or more...

I hope you’re right. Maybe I’m just too cynical. The new combi boiler at the new place (Vaillant) is amazing. Hot water is pretty much instant and underfloor heating lovely. Just not looking forward to the bill!
I had a Vaillant Eco boiler fitted just over a year ago. I find it takes a lot longer to get the house up to temperature, so that I have to have it turn on about forty minutes earlier than the old one. The water takes longer to EP warm up too. It's like the eco setting on my car's auto gear box, which takes longer to get me up to whatever speed I want to cruise at.
It's about to be serviced, and when the engineer comes I'll see what he has to say about it. It may just need the settings changed. The instruction booklet for "the operator" are incomprehensible to me so there's no way I can check for myself.

I replaced the integrated Smeg dishwasher that was here when I moved in with a Beko in 2018 and it's superb. Again, wasn't a bank-breaker - my only reason for upping the spend slightly was to get one with a notification LED that shines on the floor to tell you when it's running/finished which is handy. That was one of the annoyances with the old machine.

The Beko is super-quiet and - so far - bang on reliability-wise.
I steer clear of anything that isn’t manufactured in the EU. I think we have companies that produce excellent appliances within the union. We need to support them.

advertisement

Back