advertisement

New washing machine- anyone bought a satisfactory one recently?

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
Probably need a replacement. Last two purchases were AEG where on both occasions that five year warranty had to be invoked but otherwise ok.
The items currently on JL website look like you get more unwanted complexity the more you spend, with attendant problems ( zero interest in load sensing, dose control etc). Just want something with a big load capacity, high spin speed and stable/ quiet while spinning.

Precisely what wacko said.
We finally bit the bullet after a succession of repairs (it was insured) but gave up when parts became too long a wait.
Now we know we should have done this many years ago.
AO had one in stock, delivered next day, took old one away..

yes bought a nice bosch recently . i do like aeg too . there can be some superb deals . i lean towards bosch though as which mag always goes on about how good they are

family member got a 9 year old working well

I went the other way; the 'expensive' brands are, unfortunately, nowadays often built as cheaply as the cheapo ones. I think people who '...had one that lasted 10 years..' assume a new version of the same will also last a decade but that's unfortunately rarely the case. They just don't make 'em like they used to...

So I bought the cheapest Candy integrated I could in August 2019 and my only criticism of it is that it can be a little noisy when it ramps up on a high-speed spin. My theory was that I could spend 2-3x the amount on a 'name' with no guarantee it would actually last any longer. Buying cheap means that if for some reason it packs up in the next year or two (or three) and I have to replace it with something similar which lasts another 3-5 years then I've probably still spent less than the named device...

Cheap 10 kg Zanussi here. With 2 kids it gets hammered and it's not put a foot wrong - drop the spin speed down to 1200 for extra life. I wouldn't drop good money on a washing machine - AO.com every time for white goods. I bought a Miele vacuum fairly recently and it's built to *nothing like* the quality of the 20 year old one it replaced.

In out time in this house we have had the following washing machines......

12 years and counting - Miele
lasted about 5 years bosch
lasted about 3 years Indecit
lasted about 3 years Zanussi
Electrolux that came with the house

Our experience in 30+ years with Miele machines (we've had several due to long distance removals etc.) has been good. One repair due to overloading (IIRC the drum came into contact with the heating element, or something like that) and another visit for something that was our fault (filters not cleaned).

The SO just bought a Samsung and likes it. Apparently it has some kind of ‘hygiene steam’ setting she thinks is useful.

12 year old Indesit still going strong here and an 18 year old Bosch still going strong in France.
I don’t buy white goods from JL they are living on an undeserved reputation.

We have just bought a super cheap hotpoint, £290 1400 spin etc.....its fabulous. Replaced the 20 year old hotpoint which needed one set of motor bushes in that 20 years, and sadly the drum bearings went which was a terminal diagnosis (or at least BER).

S

LG Direct Drive, my first one lasted 15 years and was still working but starting to leak. So bought another, now 3 years in.

I recently bought a Bosch Serie 4 from JL for £379. It replaced an earlier model, which had given pretty stalwart family service. It has a 7kg capacity, and seems absolutely fine.

One thing that I do notice is that it emits a brief, falling, turbochargish whine, no longer that one or two seconds, every time it slows during the spin cycle. It isn't loud, but sort of briefly penetrates from the utility room, as though from a great distance. It might actually be because it's otherwise so quiet that you notice it at all.

JL seem not to currently offer the service of taking away your old machine, or at least didn't last November. It was offered, but withdrawn at the final ordering stage. Could have been a covid or Christmas thing, but worth checking.

Haven’t had to buy one recently because I bought a Miele 14 years ago. You know it makes sense.
Save the landfill, buy a Miele
Counter-point: just as modern German cars are not any more reliable than any other modern car these days, the same is true with many 'premium' washing machine brands. A 15-year-old machine still running today is great - if only you could buy that machine from 15 years ago today. Most modern premium manufacturers are trading on past glories, just as the 'premium German car brands' still have a perception of reliability that hasn't really been true for 20 years.

Don't just buy the most expensive based on the assumption that a brand that was good a decade or two ago is still good today.

Counter-point: just as modern German cars are not any more reliable than any other modern car these days, the same is true with many 'premium' washing machine brands. A 15-year-old machine still running today is great - if only you could buy that machine from 15 years ago today. Most modern premium manufacturers are trading on past glories, just as the 'premium German car brands' still have a perception of reliability that hasn't really been true for 20 years.

Don't just buy the most expensive based on the assumption that a brand that was good a decade or two ago is still good today.
This is a good point, and I've looked at successive generations of Miele for signs of just what you mention: cheaper, thinner materials, reduced access for cleaning or maintenance, etc. Haven't seen any on the latest machine, bought 4 years ago. This is not to say other brands are rubbish (no recent experience).

advertisement

Back