advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I’ve no idea why anyone specs paper sleeves these days, especially ones as bad as Optimal use. The returns must hugely outnumber any potential cost-saving.

I’m am glad did not pass on Caramba as I’m liking it a lot, much more than expected from the streamed version. This mastering is really good revealing much more. Great contributions from Cedar Walton and Bernie Maupin. Maupin’s first recording with Morgan and you can hear why he wanted him. He also has some really great solos with Morgan on the Lighthouse box set sessions.

Here he is talking to Tim Cogshall (when interviewed about the Netflix film) about joining Morgan’s band for Caramba and becoming friends with him:
Here is a further clip about the film with a bit about the Lighthouse sessions:

With regard to pressing quality both of mine were fine. Flat and quiet, again even in the dead wax.

I have played Inner Urge twice though now because although the recording and Kevin’s mastering of it is very good it does not reach the really excellent level that Destination Out did. To me at least the two tracks on side one do not sound as good as the three on side two. It’s not bad at all by any means, but does is not have quite the same in your room presence and ‘air’ that side two has or the best of the few others I have in this series. Strange. It’s almost sounds that side two it is cut at a very slightly higher level. I’m certain it’s not. McCoy’s piano has the often heard weaknesses of Van Gelder’s recording of this instrument throughout and this is a shame as Tyner playing is top notch and may be part of the problem. I particularly miss some ‘weight’ from the body of the piano with his left-hand cords. On side two though he does sound a bit less muddy particularly when you hear Van Gelder bring up the level for his solos. There is also a little more clarity and detail to Henderson’s sax so that you hear hear his reed vibrating especially at the end of ‘You Know I Care’. There is little more separation and ‘air’ around Elvin’s cymbals as well at least to my ears.

I am thinking that possibly the side one tapes may show a bit more wear or deterioration? I can hear a couple of tape edits or split second dropouts. The tapes are a few years older than the Caramba Ones for instance and have seen many more remastering over the years. Perhaps I am just being too fussy in wanting even more from this recording? :rolleyes: Does anyone else hear any difference between sides one and two. The music is still great of course and it is the best mastering I have heard, but I wondering now if the Music Matters 2x45rpm is possibly somewhat better?

I have no quibbles about Caramba that sounds really good in this pressing and there is a wonderful swing to this music. :)

Edited for some typo's.
I’m pretty impressionable but I think I agree. Before reading this I’d listened to side 1 and thought the SQ pretty ordinary. Listened to side 2 this morning (after reading your post, I should say!) and thought it excellent: better bass definition, much better texture on the drums, cleaner piano and yes, Henderson’s reed is nicely captured.

Regardless it’s a fantastic record. I’ve far preferred Henderson’s Milestone records to the Bluenotes I’d heard but this is right up there.

I am thinking that possibly the side one tapes may show a bit more wear or deterioration? I can hear a couple of tape edits or split second dropouts. The tapes are a few years older than the Caramba Ones for instance and have seen many more remastering over the years. Perhaps I am just being too fussy in wanting even more from this recording? :rolleyes: Does anyone else hear any difference between sides one and two. The music is still great of course and it is the best mastering I have heard, but I wondering now if the Music Matters 2x45rpm is possibly somewhat better?

All I can say is the MM45 sounds superb. I don’t have the BNC for comparison - don’t feel the need. To my ears it seems to be one of those sessions where VG’s on the fly mixing is very much evident, and each track has a slightly different balance. On El Barrio, for example, the bass appears high in the mix compared to other tracks, and I can hear it being lowered toward the end of Henderson’s solo and the piano being raised slightly ready for the piano solo. I’d agree that the lower range of the piano is underrepresented, which is a bit frustrating, but we all know VG employed an odd piano mic technique to avoid overspill. But none of this really gets in the way of a fantastic session. I was also surprised to see the MM45 is 12 years old!

Regardless it’s a fantastic record. I’ve far preferred Henderson’s Milestone records to the Bluenotes I’d heard but this is right up there.

At the risk of derailment, which Henderson’s Milestones are your favourites Sean?

At the risk of derailment, which Henderson’s Milestones are your favourites Sean?
Power to the People, The Elements and Tetragon stand out for me but I couldn’t really tell you why, and I really enjoy everything I’ve heard from that era - The Kicker, Live in Japan, Lighthouse, Multiples, Black Narcissus - can’t vouch for the others. Although thinking about it I must track a few more down.

These two latest video’s from Michael (45rpm Jazz Audiophile) put thoughts on record quality into perspective:

I've been like that too - I've played almost nothing in the past week. His dogs are called Karl and Friedrich apparently :)

Looks like Honest Jon’s have the Kevin Gray Jazz Dispensary remastered Elements by Joe Henderson, complete with Stoughton sleeve. I already have it from about five years ago and consider it essential. Not cheap at £35.

These four below are now up on Amazon now for preorder with the Release Dates reversed from the original ones below. Bebop = March , The Rebirth - April. Delivery a few days later supposedly? Whether these dates will be met or not who knows. I think a few people in the US are already getting the Bud Powell. I’m getting the two ‘Bebop’ ones, but passing on the other two. The Allen and Wilson are double LP’s and and therefore a bit more expensive as well.

As these 4 are the last remains ones in the present posted schedule it will be interesting to see when and what we get as information on a follow up set.

March 18, 2022 – The Rebirth

• Cassandra Wilson – Blue Light ‘Til Dawn (1993)*
  • Geri Allen – Twenty One (1994)*
April 15, 2022 – Bebop

• Milt Jackson – Milt Jackson With John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Lou Donaldson And The Thelonious Monk Quintet (1948-52)
  • Bud Powell – Time Waits: The Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 4 (1958)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09R7XB22C/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09M527FC6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09T6JK1F6/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09T642S68/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
These four below are now up on Amazon now for preorder with the Release Dates reversed from the original ones below. Bebop = March , The Rebirth - April. Delivery a few days later supposedly? Whether these dates will be met or not who knows. I think a few people in the US are already getting the Bud Powell. I’m getting the two ‘Bebop’ ones, but passing on the other two. The Allen and Wilson are double LP’s and and therefore a bit more expensive as well.

The BN store both UK and US still has the original running order ?!!!?!!!?

I've preordered the bebops (no change at Juno but they're often slow) and passing like you (and I mean it;))

The BN store both UK and US still has the original running order ?!!!?!!!?

I've preordered the bebops (no change at Juno but they're often slow) and passing like you (and I mean it;))
Well it is quite possible Amazon are getting it wrong again although I haven’t heard about releases of the Rebirth ones in the US yet. Amazon certainly don’t know what they are doing with the Art Pepper Craft releases. Having moved the release of my ‘Meets the Rhythm Section’ from Mach to November and the back to March they have now moved it back to later in November now.

Juno certainly seems a better bet now even if a bit later because Amazon are now usually pricing these higher (often more than Blue Notes suggested price) now and then dropping them a few days after the release date. Makes a bit of a nonsense of the price guarantee! :mad:

Juno certainly seems a better bet now even if a bit later because Amazon are now usually pricing these higher (often more than Blue Notes suggested price) now and then dropping them a few days after the release date. Makes a bit of a nonsense of the price guarantee! :mad:

The postage has gone up at Juno recently so they've maybe changed the split between the cover price and p&p but I'm pleased to say that I haven't bought enough recently to be sure!

Don't think there's anything there for me - I already have a nice Japanese Bud Vol.4 and I'm not too worried about the other titles.

Any word on possible future titles?

I'm passing on these :)

Any word on possible future titles?
I haven’t heard of any leaks of possible titles unlike Tone Poets where quite a lot of the future ones are known about although there has been no official posting on them. Joe Harley has indicated they don’t want to Post these yet, because release dates for pressings are still uncertain even though they have done the masterings on many already.

There are some reports that Blue Note may post about the Classics at the end of this month.

Milt and Bud arrived this morning plus the Acoustic Sounds Ellington & Coltrane. Which was nice. No time to listen yet…

advertisement

Back