advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Snapped Ankles at the Boiler Room in Guildford last night.
Probably my favourite time seeing them, despite them being a bit rough round the edges.
I could have done without the father and son (well, I'm assuming father and son) trying to start a mosh pit in front of me though.

Sylvie Courvoisier and Mary Halvorson at Cafe Oto on Monday. Not according to plan, with the airline losing Mary's guitar, effects pedals and sheet music. But, a couple of improvised sets later, all was well with the world. Sublime musicians and boy, do I love this venue!

Snapped Ankles at the Boiler Room in Guildford last night.
Probably my favourite time seeing them, despite them being a bit rough round the edges.
I could have done without the father and son (well, I'm assuming father and son) trying to start a mosh pit in front of me though.

I didn't see this - we are going to see them in Southampton on 24 Feb. Seen (and loved) them at festivals before, so a proper venue will be new for us. Hopefully, the same mosh pit won't follow them down south!

I didn't see this - we are going to see them in Southampton on 24 Feb. Seen (and loved) them at festivals before, so a proper venue will be new for us. Hopefully, the same mosh pit won't follow them down south!

I've seen them in a venue but can imagine them working really well at a festival, they've got a festival vibe about them.

Idles and We Leg (separate gigs) a couple of weekends ago. Both great in their own way. I regularly visit most gig venues in Manchester but Idles was my first experience of the O2 Victoria Warehouse - good warehouse space albeit out of town. Gap now, I think my next is GoGo Penguin in April.

Anthony Joseph last night at 'Woolwich Works' - my first time to the venue and it's obviously had a lot of money spent on it. Though it was clearly a multifunction space with the PA set up for the night and the acoustics (big echoey room) weren't great. I'd go back though and the staff were all very friendly which makes a difference.

Anyway the band were fantastic. British jazz infused with Caribbean roots - I don't know why he (and Jason Yarde) aren't so much better known.

The Smoke Fairies at the think tank in Newcastle first time seeing them, only about 100 people there but it was a fantastic gig, would fantastic singers and guitar players. Recommend seeing them.

Suzanne Vega at the Barbican last night - nice venue and very enjoyable show with most of my favourites included.:)
Special shout out to support act John Smith - superb voice that reminded me of the late great John Martyn.

Suzanne Vega at the Barbican last night - nice venue and very enjoyable show with most of my favourites included.:)
Special shout out to support act John Smith - superb voice that reminded me of the late great John Martyn.
John Martyn took him under his wing a bit, he was support on the last two John Martyn concerts I went to. I go to see John Smith whenever he plays Liverpool.

EXTC in Basingstoke on Friday night. Crowd a bit reduced because of Eunice, but a great night. Just to hear Senses Working Overtime and Peter Pumpkinhead live was fantastic.
Recommended if they are near you and you miss XTC.

Sons of Kemet last night at Oran Mor on Glasgow, the whole place was jumping!

How long did they play for?

I’m seeing them tomorrow night and me and a mate are “discussing” the best arrival time (I tend to be cautious, he tends to be cavalier)

.sjb

Well Sons of Kemet as a threee piece. Theon Cross (tuba) couldn’t play and it was absolutely amazing the sounds Shabaka Hutchings made with just one sax. Marvellous drumming which didn’t dominate but there was some amazing interplay and some tribal drumming.

What a wonderful night after just under 2 years without live gigs.

68742290-9840-4-B66-9-FF2-225-B002-CC8-C4.jpg

2637-BFB6-C862-43-F6-A31-C-13-C99-ADE6172.jpg

.sjb

While last night showcased the power and energy of live performances, tonight with Ron Sexsmith solo showcased the intimacy and emotion of live performances.

BDE303-E7-5534-4-EFE-A885-4299-C58978-F0.jpg
BDE303-E7-5534-4-EFE-A885-4299-C58978-F0.jpg

This was really a superlative concert, Every song I knew sounded better and the lyrics clearer whilst every song new to me was like a new short story to ingest.

A great return to the fray.

He’s next touring the UK, London, Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham.

.sjb

How long did they play for?

I’m seeing them tomorrow night and me and a mate are “discussing” the best arrival time (I tend to be cautious, he tends to be cavalier)

.sjb
Sorry - didn't see your reply! They played for around 90 minutes, there was a curfew - so they had to finish by 10:15PM. It's a shame Theon wasn't playing - he does things with a tuba you wouldn't believe!

This Is The Kit at Exeter Phoenix on Thursday just gone.
We saw them in Cardiff a few months ago and my other half especially was keen to see them again. Another fab night of entertainment, and also very much enjoyed the support act Rachael Dadd.

Last edited:
Altered Images tonight, in Newcastle, a great dance along night but a shame the guitarist was hidden at the back, Clare was still bopping away and great voice still too.

Very enjoyable Lumineers last night at the o2. Not a huge fan of big venues, especially one inside a space ship, but they pulled it off.

oUPxhLh.jpg

pGWoggj.jpg

Just back from the Concert For Ukraine at the Cockpit Theatre in London. An emotional evening with incredible performances by some of my very favourite UK jazz musicians. Every indication that they've raised a good wad of cash!

advertisement

Back