advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I just endured watched The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014) on blu ray there and although it wasn't as quite bad as the first one from 2012, it's still terrible. The two films will be coming to a charity shop near me soon!

Mass. A compelling and emotional watch. Not your big budget heavily promoted nonsense but a winner of several awards for superb, human and naturalistic performances.

I know some of the sci-fi film fans on here have long bemoaned the fact that no one as yet's made a film of Arthur C. Clarke's “Rendezvous With Rama”. I've just read in Empire magazine that it's finally going to happen, directed by Denis Villeneuve.

I just watched Troy: The Director's Cut, and I'm never watching it again, or any version of that film for that matter. I appreciate it's trying to tell an epic story but it was a bit of endurance. There were moments when it carried itself sort of okay but at 3+ hours, it just doesn't stand up well enough as a whole. Some of the acting wasn't great - some of it was pure ham; it seemed like it relied on the score too much in order to convey emotion and weight or even just to get from one scene to the next etc; and the great battle scenes weren't that great and, by and large, neither were the micro battles (Achillies' first 'battle' was actually a pretty decent way to introduce his prowess, and his fight with Hector was alright so it wasn't completely terrible on the battle front).

I guess the film just isn't convincing enough. In contrast, Gladiator was pretty good at telling an ancient world story. But Troy? I reckon it would have worked better as a 90-minute blockbuster or as a deluxe 10-hour HBO special. But as it is, I ain't never watching that again. Fwiw, I've read the book - and I've read The Odyssey as well (my favourite book of all time) - and this is definitely a case where the book is better than the film!

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last week and I ain't never watching that film again either; I've seen it before of, course, but that was years and years ago. I appreciate it was ahead of its time in many ways but frankly, it leave me cold. It's a bit like Citizen Kane where you can see it's earned its place in history, but that's as much as I can say about it. I literally never want to see that film again either.

HhONX8q.gif

The blu ray copy of Zulu! is brilliant

some of my fave tv shows-
TV Shows/series -
The Great
The Boys
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Dickenson
Dollface
The Expanse
Hawkeye
Loki
Lost in Space( 2018)
Marvels Agents of Shield
Motherland: Fort Salem
Stargirl
Titans
Truth Seekers
The Umbrella Academy
Wandavision
Warrior Nun

Saw Encanto (the latest Disney animation) with youngest last night. An utter mess on every level. A train wreck of a movie. Absurd story and ghastly songs with unintelligible lyrics. What were they thinking?

Looks nice though...

Saw my sweet little village on amazon . Brilliant film and what a glimpse of czezhslovakia when in communist hands. Very funny and captivating

Of course the new defender is now make in slovakia and very reliable it is too I am told

Finally watched another cracker: Black Swan (2010) with Natalie Portman in the form of her life. I've seen it once before on a fairly small TV with crappy built-in speakers so I already knew it was a decent film. But when I watched it tonight on my OLED TV with sound running through my Tannoys, it was a completely different and utterly amazing viewing experience that left me in no doubt as to the quality of the film. Natalie Portman was so believable at believing she was the Black Swan, and the music was just excellent as well. It's crazy but I feel as though I could easily watch it all over again. Just brilliant from start to finish. Thoroughly recommended!

We watched Dune on 4K BluRay last night. Wow! What an incredible film! Without a doubt the best sci-fi film I've seen in ages. Stupendous scenes, awe-inspiring effects, and for us fans of the Dune book, it follows the story very well indeed, but in a way even those who've never read the book can follow. Even SWMBO, who doesn't usually like such things, enjoyed it. You need a decent home cinema system to appreciate it properly; it has an amazing Dolby Atmos sound, stunning 4K picture quality. A long film but we were captivated. Roll on episode two!

We watched Dune on 4K BluRay last night. Wow! What an incredible film! Without a doubt the best sci-fi film I've seen in ages. Stupendous scenes, awe-inspiring effects, and for us fans of the Dune book, it follows the story very well indeed, but in a way even those who've never read the book can follow. Even SWMBO, who doesn't usually like such things, enjoyed it. You need a decent home cinema system to appreciate it properly; it has an amazing Dolby Atmos sound, stunning 4K picture quality. A long film but we were captivated. Roll on episode two!

That's the sort of review that makes me want to see the film. I bought the 3-part Children of Dune mini series as an Amazon streaming purchase option (for ten pence) and I couldn't even finish watching the first episode. It was just terrible - even worse than The Terrible Amazing Spiderman films I endured the other week. I've never read the book or even seen the whole Lynch film, just snippets here and there, but the way you describe the new one makes it sound like a 'must-watch' film. I don't have a 4k player so it would need to be blu ray for me but I reckon that'll look and sound great all the same. Brilliant :)

I just watched Troy: The Director's Cut, and I'm never watching it again, or any version of that film for that matter. I appreciate it's trying to tell an epic story but it was a bit of endurance. There were moments when it carried itself sort of okay but at 3+ hours, it just doesn't stand up well enough as a whole. Some of the acting wasn't great - some of it was pure ham; it seemed like it relied on the score too much in order to convey emotion and weight or even just to get from one scene to the next etc; and the great battle scenes weren't that great and, by and large, neither were the micro battles (Achillies' first 'battle' was actually a pretty decent way to introduce his prowess, and his fight with Hector was alright so it wasn't completely terrible on the battle front).

I guess the film just isn't convincing enough. In contrast, Gladiator was pretty good at telling an ancient world story. But Troy? I reckon it would have worked better as a 90-minute blockbuster or as a deluxe 10-hour HBO special. But as it is, I ain't never watching that again. Fwiw, I've read the book - and I've read The Odyssey as well (my favourite book of all time) - and this is definitely a case where the book is better than the film!

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last week and I ain't never watching that film again either; I've seen it before of, course, but that was years and years ago. I appreciate it was ahead of its time in many ways but frankly, it leave me cold. It's a bit like Citizen Kane where you can see it's earned its place in history, but that's as much as I can say about it. I literally never want to see that film again either.
I saw a clip of Troy the other day. The acting was crap.

Majestic but he’s a great director. I loved Arrival.

Watching life on a warship on channel 5 is very interesting, they got covid and had to return early . Also tailed a top Russian ship moving very near to UK trident base dropping things overboard . I hope corbyn was watching...

I watched Tron Legacy (2010) earlier and it has to be said, the sound and visuals are great. Plus it features one of sci-fi's classic cool things as well: Light Cycles! When they appear in the film it's just a brilliant treat for the eyes and ears. Just like lightsabers, they've totally earned their place on the sci-fi 'cool wall'.

The story didn't hold my attention as well as some other big budget sci-fi films - Transformers (2009) is the best attention holder imo - so I'm not sure I'll want to watch it again anytime soon. But it's still decent enough. Oh, and although the CGI for Clue was pretty decent in its day, I couldn't help but wonder how much better Clue would have looked had the film been made today; that's not a detraction, just an observation.

Anyway, decent film with excellent sound and visuals.

The best thing I've seen in the last six weeks is Vivarium (2019 movie shown on Film4) starring Imogen Poots.

Sort of a dystopian thing beginning with a fledgling cuckoo taking over a nest and follows that theme.

It left me with the most sublime uneasy feeling. I can still feel the shivers when I think of it.

Just watched an amazing programme on dmax about bugs and tropical diseases . Tetsie fly infections nearly killing someone , treatment of snake bites and picking out flesh eating maggots out of some ones ear before they reach the brain ....better than science fiction ....

advertisement

Back