advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I remember seeing that a couple of ago. The thing is, I can't remember whether I simply enjoyed watching it or really liked it. It's a decent film but a great film? I honestly don't know!
Big fan of Drive, didn’t enjoy Baby Driver at all, not a movie I’ll watch again.

Another fan of Drive here (shares a similar vibe with The Driver starring Ryan O’Neal). Great soundtrack. The Chromatics ‘Kill for Love’ album is fantastic.

Quite enjoyed Baby Driver and Last Night in Soho (also directed by Edgar Wright) is worth a watch.

The Last Duel is highly recommended! Few directors do medieval combat and atmosphere as well as Ridley Scott..!

Well I'm not sure I can match the heights of critical subtlety and analysis which some of you apply to film, but I know what I like..

But that's not important right now....

Do any of you find some films so affecting that you can't bring yourself to watch them again..even though you thoroughly enjoyed them (mostly)?

I mean I find the scene in 'Ryan', where one guy is fighting for his life in a building, against a huge German ,while another guy sits terrified on a stairway, ignored.. to be a horrifying watch.

I recently watched 'Promising Young Woman'.. and even tho, maybe because.. I find Carey Mulligan staggeringly attractive.. I can't see me watching it again.. good as it is.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Paths of Glory and King and Country all have similar effects on me.

Once were Warriors - I win :)

Talking Pictures TV is showing some great stuff at the moment:

Secret Army - Sunday 9pm
The Main Chance - Monday 8pm
Justice - Thursday 8pm

Justice really is exceptional, Margaret Lockwood as a barrister, in some ways an anti-rumpole, glamorous, ambitious but just as committed to the law &, err, justice.

I just watched Star Trek (2009) there and bam, that's how you update a franchise for the big screen. Great action, great effects, great moments, great sound and great vision. Sure, it's basically yanks in space, but yanks are goddam entertaining !!!

Not sure wether to wait for the inevitable Imax release or just take the plunge now... Never saw it at the cinema. Itching now...

Not sure wether to wait for the inevitable Imax release or just take the plunge now... Never saw it at the cinema. Itching now...

Considering we used to watch stuff on tiny (sometimes tiny black and white) TVs back in the day and we managed to get the gist what was happening even then, I don't think it's essential to see it the IMAX. You'd still get the gist of the story for sure just watching the compromised version. That said, if you're a fan of Dune and the option is available, it's probably a no-brainer to go and see it.

"Godless" on Netflix, a Western but the best tv I've watched for a long time. The "Tourist" on BBC, what a load of s--t. Don't have the budget or the brains to compete and they can stick their llicence.

"Godless" on Netflix, a Western but the best tv I've watched for a long time. The "Tourist" on BBC, what a load of s--t. Don't have the budget or the brains to compete and they can stick their llicence.
Netflix has a few gems, Godless is right up there. Thought the Tourist was a heap of sh1te too.

it's probably a no-brainer to go and see it
Ah yeah well maybe I might've pushed the boat out and made an effort to go to the pictures but hey , covid being a thing and the fact that going to the cinema these days is like some form of mental torture to me then maybe that's a no.

I need to have tunnel vision with absolutely no distraction when I'm watching something. Asshats with their mobile phones and buckets of popcorn and slurpy drinks I can live without thanks.

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that Dune couldn't have had the variable aspect imax ratio on disc release (think Dunkirk and a few other Nolan movies)

It will happen eventually. It's just the studios trying to maximise their profit and greed.

I just watched The Amazing Spiderman (2012) starring Andrew Garfield on blu ray there and I want my money back. Pure pish. The best bit was when Spiderman dropped a corny line to bring the film to an end. Never watching that again. I can't put my finger on it to explain why but it did absolutely nothing for me. I like Tobey Maguire as Spiderman and the new ones are alright. But this one from 2012 was rubbish, plain and simple. Recommended viewing as a form of torture, Geneva conventions permitting.

You have my deepest sympathy. Terrible film that. Suffered 30 minutes of it once. That was enough.
We bit the bullet and watched Ghostbusters - Afterlife last night.
First time I've ever bought a streaming movie (Apple) rather than wait for the disc release (wife insisted)
Quite enjoyed it but I think we'll stick with disc for the latest blockbuster releases .
Picture quality was adequate but the sound just isn't as good (Apple TV 4K into Denon AV 5.1.2 vs UB820 4k Blu-ray player)

I’m afraid Dune was quite turgid and lacking in story.

It felt like they took a chapter of text and stretched it out to a feature film.

Amazing visuals though..

TBH I'm more looking forward to the sound. It's quite visceral and reference quality.

Apparently.

Hoping it's as good as the soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049 anyways.

Watched hidden assets on BBC 4 . Brilliant...if you like line of duty you will like

Watch the whole series of Hidden Assets into the small hours if this morning, quite enjoyed it actually. I was struggling to remember where I’d seen the female lead and a quick IMDb search showed she was one the female singer in “The Commitments” from 1991!

advertisement

Back