advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

I just watched 300 (2007) on blu ray there and holy shit, what a film! I've seen it before, years and years ago, but more than ever, I could really appreciate how stylised the sound and visuals are, which made Gerard Butler in particular extremely convincing. I mean, when he says "THIS IS SPARTA" (probably the best three-word scene ever) you really get a visceral urge to kick that emissary into the abyss yourself! The violence - and blood - is obviously extremely gratuitous but, like a good Tarantino film, it works all the better for it. Recommended!

I just watched 300 (2007) on blu ray there and holy shit, what a film! I've seen it before, years and years ago, but more than ever, I could really appreciate how stylised the sound and visuals are, which made Gerard Butler in particular extremely convincing. I mean, when he says "THIS IS SPARTA" (probably the best three-word scene ever) you really get a visceral urge to kick that emissary into the abyss yourself! The violence - and blood - is obviously extremely gratuitous but, like a good Tarantino film, it works all the better for it. Recommended!
Great movie, fan of Snyder, not everyones cuppa but big faves of mine long version of Watchmen and Sucker Punch. Similar style to 300 there’s the Sin City films.

Anyone see "The Maltese Falcon"? I saw it when I was about 20 and could not make head or tail of the plot. But I always assumed I was under the influence of something at the time. Then I saw it again two nights ago, and still did not understand the plot. Assumed it might be senility. So I went on Wikipedia and read the plot. Still did not make any sense. Then found innumerable websites, blogs, in which people complain that they cannot understand the plot. And yet it is considered one of the great masterpieces of cinema history. Anyone here understand the plot?

It's an absolutely cracking film, a noir with some comedic touches. I liked the character of Wilmer, played by one of those classic Hollywood character actors who's name I do not know. I never paid too much attention to the plot, I more enjoyed the relationship between the characters, and with any noir just how the film looks, the shadowy camera work etc. As with many Huston films its a study of masculinity, with Spade being the ideal man of action, opposed to Wilmer's somewhat blundering and hot headed character, Spade is both capable of violence yet controlled and intelligent. Other faves of that period include another Huston film 'Ashpalt Jungle', Billy Wilders 'Double Indemnity' and 'Sunset Boulevard', saw it around 20 years ago in a London Rep cinema, the saturated blackness was amazing on the big screen, I remembered being stunned at how dark it was. That was my favourite Noir until I (re)discovered Hollywood 70s cinema, and 'neo-noir' - specifically Elliot Gould in Robert Altman's 'The Long Goodbye' - another Raymond Chandler story.

I just watched Spiderman (2002) on blu ray there and what an amazing Spiderman it is! Great cast, great sound, great segways, just great everything - Willem Dafoe in particular was excellent. Even though The Amazing Spiderman from 2012 presumably had more advanced CGI tools at its disposal, there's no question that the 2002 film beats it hands down in every other way. I wouldn't mind watching the first Tom Holland Spiderman film again to see how it compares as it might well be better than the 2002 one, but either way, the Spiderman film from 2002 is recommended viewing for sure.

Interesting video essay by the Nerdwriter on the covid-accelerated dominance of action/superhero blockbusters at the cinema at the expense of films that simply tell stories:

I watched Gucci at the weekend Lady Gaga is sh ite as an actor she ruined the film with her ham acting, Adam Driver is very good though but the film isn't really worth watching as it's all just padding, nice padding, but two hours to tell you about what happened to him by his mental wife and her crazy guru tarot reading maniac mate.

Load of pish actually.

Just finished Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. Very enjoyable! Can’t wait for season two!

I just watched Mulholland Drive there on blu ray, a damn good film that gets better every time I see it. I mean, I'm now thinking it's one of the best films ever made and with it, David Lynch has secured his place in the pantheon of great directors for sure. I reckon people will be admiring and studying this film for centuries to come (assuming we've got that long left on the planet). Heck, even the title shot on the main menu is incredibly captivating. Obviously, and frankly recommended!

Here's a great short video essay on how Lynch works some of his magic:

I watched Time Bandits the other night for the first time in ten years or something like that and what a cracking film. Sure, it's a bit dated in terms of effects and stuff but it really holds its own as a fantasy adventure. And tonight I watched Contact for the first time in years as well. The section with the space-time machine and space-time travel is just stupendous and thoroughly mesmerising. Both films are thoroughly recommended.

Fwiw, Time Bandits has been released on blu ray by Arrow Video and apparently, they've worked wonders on it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I watched Gucci at the weekend Lady Gaga is sh ite as an actor she ruined the film with her ham acting, Adam Driver is very good though but the film isn't really worth watching as it's all just padding, nice padding, but two hours to tell you about what happened to him by his mental wife and her crazy guru tarot reading maniac mate.

Load of pish actually.
It was really poor. Adam Driver seemed to understand there was a better movie in there somewhere. I felt the same about Gaga in A Star is Born. Bradley Cooper was the real revelation in that. Shame it wasn’t recognised.

Watched The Batman last night on HBO Max. Very long, almost 3 hours, but it was well done. Had my doubts about Pattinson as the caped crusader, but I was wrong. Great action scenes and a story that, despite the movie’s length, held my interest and attention. Interesting plot twists plus the creepiest Riddler ever! Overall, a very good reboot for the franchise, and I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

I just watched Mulholland Drive there on blu ray, a damn good film that gets better every time I see it. I mean, I'm now thinking it's one of the best films ever made and with it, David Lynch has secured his place in the pantheon of great directors for sure. I reckon people will be admiring and studying this film for centuries to come (assuming we've got that long left on the planet). Heck, even the title shot on the main menu is incredibly captivating. Obviously, and frankly recommended!

Here's a great short video essay on how Lynch works some of his magic:

"She got the pool boy, I got the pool".;)

I tend to go through phases of watching the same film over and over again, often 50s or 70s Hollywood thrillers. The last one was a sort of pastiche of that genre, by Wim Wenders - 'The American Friend'.

Enjoying the true story of the canoe guy who faked his own death on itv over 4 nights .

We've watched that over the past few nights, John Darwin was obviously quite an absurd character and completely deluded, funny how his wife actually took more of the blame than he did.
I thought Eddie Marsan would have made a great dwarf for the Hobbit movies.

advertisement

Back