advertisement

Moving on to a more modern TV from a Pioneer plasma

I bought the last gen 2013 Panasonic plasma reference 55” 2nd hand a few years back to replace my previous 2009 model - picture is simply stunning, but what was also surprising is how much less heat it generates.

I’ve actually just put in a bid on a 2020 75” Sony commercial 4K display from work (we’re moving to smaller premises) - intend to compare it to the plasma and keep the one I prefer. Sony is FW-75BZ35F - LCD - so my plasma should beat it…but it always looked great playing HD content in the office…and is dirt cheap :)

You all must have huge living rooms. The largest I can fit in without it dominating the room is 36".

I live in a tiny apartment…with ESL63s…75” is wider than speakers are apart, but triangular viewing angle means it just works, couldn’t go larger…and no way am I moving the 63s :)

You all must have huge living rooms. The largest I can fit in without it dominating the room is 36".

Our lounge is a bit under 13' square so not massive. TV mounted on the wall doesn't feel dominating - I think the room is too crowded with other stuff for that to happen - and we sit on a sofa which almost backs onto the wall opposite the screen. A slightly larger screen may even be possible in the room were it not for pesky position of entrance and internal doors/fireplaces/fitted cupboards/etc., which dictates the wall mounting where it presently is. I'm trying to move it a little to the left to allow more room for a speaker to be wall mounted on the right side, with a matching centre speaker wall mounted above the screen.

I think that depends on how you define "dominating" our room is 5m x 4m with a bay. Our 55" is mounted on the window ledge in the bay at 45° to the room.....doesn't dominate

I’ve never understood how something only four or five feet across can be thought of dominating a room when curtains/blinds/sofa are far larger.

I’ve never understood how something only four or five feet across can be thought of dominating a room when curtains/blinds/sofa are far larger.

I don't think it is all about size. People "design" their rooms with a sense of harmony - things fit together so despite being large objects they don't necessarily dominate. Meanwhile in the corner (on the wall) is a large expanse of black rectangle.

We wouldn't be without the TV, and don't find it particularly dominant, it does block a view. We could wall mount it but reorganising the room is not on the agenda - other things are on the walls.

I'd love a roll up TV

https://www.lg.com/global/lg-signature/rollable-oled-tv-r

I don't think it is all about size. People "design" their rooms with a sense of harmony - things fit together so despite being large objects they don't necessarily dominate. Meanwhile in the corner (on the wall) is a large expanse of black rectangle.

We wouldn't be without the TV, and don't find it particularly dominant, it does block a view. We could wall mount it but reorganising the room is not on the agenda - other things are on the walls.

I'd love a roll up TV

https://www.lg.com/global/lg-signature/rollable-oled-tv-r

Yeah yeah, but…

Just as humungous loudspeakers soon blend in with the scenery, so does a big telly. Ok, if someone only watches a couple of hours of telly each week, a littlun will suffice, but people who love films, documentaries etc and watch a few hours per day, it must be a compromise worth making?

What about one of those 'Frame' tvs? You know the ones that look like a 'picture' when wall mounted, any good or pants?

Anyone considered getting an art canvas frame made to cover a wall TV when not in use? Of course, you need somewhere to put the canvas when you’re watching the TV!

Anyone considered getting an art canvas frame made to cover a wall TV when not in use? Of course, you need somewhere to put the canvas when you’re watching the TV!
Motorised painting works if you have the headroom, did it for a client many moons ago, needless to say he was wealthy, he didn’t add a conservatory to his “house” he added a wing :)

Motorised painting works if you have the headroom, did it for a client many moons ago, needless to say he was wealthy, he didn’t add a conservatory to his “house” he added a wing :)

Was the painting a Picasso, Monet, Van Gough or Constable?

A manual canvas print would do for me.

Was the painting a Picasso, Monet, Van Gough or Constable?

A manual canvas print would do for me.
Nothing special they just didn’t want to have the big plasma on view, once the kids came along can’t recall seeing it lowered. Was a fairly big job getting it installed so it looked right, had to recess the TV and allow for heat.

Nothing special they just didn’t want to have the big plasma on view, once the kids came along can’t recall seeing it lowered. Was a fairly big job getting it installed so it looked right, had to recess the TV and allow for heat.

I’ve seen recessed TVs but today’s offerings are very thin anyway, plus, a non-recessed TV provides a nice mount for a canvas!

I’ve seen recessed TVs but today’s offerings are very thin anyway, plus, a non-recessed TV provides a nice mount for a canvas!
Only thing I'd consider if putting a canvas on the front is heat if the TV is left on or powered up accidentally for long periods

advertisement

Back