advertisement

BBC licence fee to be abolished in 2027 and funding frozen...

Widely accepted by whom? The people occupying Palestine maybe? I couldn't disagree more strongly!

I think you may have misunderstood Sean’s point, Jez.
Yes I see what it looks like but I just mean it’s now the prevailing wisdom. It took a lot of work from the Labour right and the liberal press but that’s where we’ve ended up and it’s how the Corbyn moment will be remembered.

The Ferengi in Star Trek are a greedy, selfish, untrustworthy, grasping species that would sell their own mother in the blink of an eye....

I used to work for one of them, Ferengi Gibson, he even had the teeth but he was from Portglenone:D

Yes, the truth is the the Tories don’t give a flying f*ck for hard working households, beyond how much they can wring out of them

Got it in one, though I've no reason to believe any of the rest would be any better :rolleyes:

We're becoming more like the USA. The future of TV will be subscription based, which I suspect will cost households a good deal more than the licence fee. What happens to BBC radio?

All for the sake of 43p /day.
My brother lives in the states and says the BBC channel is the best thing on, though over there it has adverts. :confused:

I also find it interesting that the Govt want to do this because it thinks the BBC is too left-wing and many here want it punished for being too right-wing.

More Conservative supporters complained en masse about the BBC’s coverage of the general election campaign than Labour supporters, according to figures published by the broadcaster.

Thousands more people accused the corporation of bias against the Conservatives, Boris Johnson or other senior Tories than against Labour

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...bour-media-boris-johnson-corbyn-a9265466.html

The phrase political football springs to mind.

Yes I see what it looks like but I just mean it’s now the prevailing wisdom. It took a lot of work from the Labour right and the liberal press but that’s where we’ve ended up and it’s how the Corbyn moment will be remembered.

Ah... OK. Sorry Sean.

Completely agree. Hate all the stuff about hard work.

“The traditional slogan of even the moderate Labour movement was "A fair day's pay for a fair day's work". So why does Keir Starmer want to repharase it "A fair day's pay for a HARD day's work" - why is it Hard Labour with Labour ?”

https://twitter.com/solhugheswriter/status/1482669772848386054?s=21

Indeed many of the writings of Labour ministers etc lately have been along the lines of "Just look how similar to the tories we are now!"

Living in Canada these days and with CBC as the local/national offering you get to miss the BBC.
Though much of CBC can be good - there is a lack of breadth and international-ness about it - plus endless advertisements except on CBC Radio 1 - the main talk radio.
Netflix and other subscriptions are good but there isn't any decent news coverage on them.
As others have mentioned 43p a day is a bargain. This is another "madness" of the current UK (SOMEWHAT LACKING) leadership.

Nadine Dorries, Culture Secretary.....was there ever a more oxymoronic conjunction?

PS: Anyone else watching the Andrew Bridgen interview on Newsnight as I type? :)

Yes hilarious. Bridgen's response to his heckler that "the village idiot is out tonight" was swiftly met with "the village idiot is in front of the camera".

Great fun.

Dorries is as thick as mince and seems to genuinely believe that we believe that she gives a flying **** about the household budgets of people paying the License Fee.

It's all depressingly simple.

1. The Tories really do not like being called out by the BBC.
2. If they really have to be called out..they'd much rather it was by a US style commercially owned (and politically driven) 'news' channel, which, even if it calls them out.. gives themn a nice shareholder dividend too.

I’m gonna miss the beeb and channel four, they act as incubators for the whole industry. Training and encouraging the next generation of media and tech types that make film and tv so profitable for the uk.
Just more Tory short sighted cost cutting, same with nurses and doctors, teachers and technicians. We don’t train we import.

Nadeeeen was revelling in her moment in the sun at the dispatch, showing those family employees at the BBC that she and her own family employees at the public purse can wield coercive power. Whittingdale chiming in as part of his long running shill for the Murdoch’s. Problem is every time he appears from the waist up on telly in a shirt and tie, I’m convinced he’s wearing fishnets and high heels under the table.

doj8Qoi.jpg

If Bone didn't exist, he would have to be invented. Not for the first time I was wondering what planet he inhabits.

He is one of many, like Johnson, Rees Mogg, Fabricant, Swayne, Francois, Dorries, Brigden, Truss, Gove etc, that if a writer/producer created them as a part in a movie, drama or play the work would just get panned as ‘utterly implausible’, ‘preposterous characterisations’ etc.

These people just shouldn’t exist anywhere in this reality, yet somehow the Tory Party burps them up with alarming regularity. It is absolutely bizarre. None would survive in a conventional work environment.

advertisement

Back