advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Im sure it would be great. Bit of a cock up on release, folks in the US had received the units before UK customers which I found to be hilarious. The corporate strikes again!

I think one guy bought one and got cold feet before it was delivered and ended up loosing a few grand.

I'm only seeing this of late, but is the front and side black aluminium slabs actually perspex, also the front of the phono and power supply.

Good question, Bob.

Well, the truth is that I put down a deposit on one (without hearing it obviously) and I have been next in line since October.

My dealer said that if I didn’t like it then I could, of course, switch my deposit to another deck.

I still haven’t heard it yet and am keen to hear what the lucky few, who have, think.

The very long thread on the Naim site could be whittled down to single figures for actual user reviews. They are all positive.

Clearly some folk have their own agenda and I know I have to trust my own ears but I’m interested to know what others think.

I had a look around one when I dropped in to Cymbiosis last month, but it wasn't plumbed into a system, so didn't get to hear it (I was much more interested in my new Radikal 2). Nicely made and looks very different next to an LP12, and the ARO 2 looks interesting - let's hope that becomes available as a standalone, but pigs might fly.
I would expect all owner-reviews to be positive - after all, they've just dropped 17k on a new deck. But it puzzles me they're not leaping off the stock shelves, and the one that Tony is offering in classifieds is a surefire way of saving 2k if you're in the market!.

Made by Clearaudio, do they build deck in Germany, hand over to Salisbury, then ship out of Brexit ?
Too complicated for me to figure this process out, never mind is there any explanation why the platter is that high. looks odd.

If I had the money, I’d buy an EMT927 or a 930st none of the current production decks.
One can only imagine what they would cost today. Would anybody be able to manufacture them?
Rubber bands and Airpax motors cost nothing…

If I had the money, I’d buy an EMT927 or a 930st none of the current production decks.
One can only imagine what they would cost today. Would anybody be able to manufacture them?
Rubber bands and Airpax motors cost nothing…

I used to have a book about the EMT turntables and it said one of the early ones (927 or 930?) cost at least as much as a new VW Beetle at the time, so they were never inexpensive. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone builds the ‘ultimate’ idler drive turntable in the next few years and charges 6 figures for it.

I used to have a book about the EMT turntables and it said one of the early ones (927 or 930?) cost at least as much as a new VW Beetle at the time, so they were never inexpensive. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone builds the ‘ultimate’ idler drive turntable in the next few years and charges 6 figures for it.

There's a few companies building 'new' idler drive tables, Reed make and interesting deck that is user adjustable from idler to belt, though I don't think any of them are 6 figures, certainly 5 though.

Last edited:
In fairness to Naim, the pandemic seems to have hindered the Solstice rollout, which may explain the lack of feedback out there.

Still... from the comments of those who've heard it, I detect a more muted reaction than new Naim products usually get.

If the solstice was less than amazing (for the price) wouldn't they have halted the project during development rather than persevere and take it to market?

If the solstice was less than amazing (for the price) wouldn't they have halted the project during development rather than persevere and take it to market?

I had the feeling their secrecy around this project was very important for them - prior to release, even they had few review testers (impartial ?)

They didn't take it to market. It was released as a limited edition and they took orders before anyone had heard it. To me, that's alarm bells ringing right there.

Think about it. You're not going to know what it sounds like until development is pretty much finished. I don't know how it worked but let's speculate. Naim knock on Clearaudio's door and say 'Could you build a turntable for us please? They're going to have to decide who's paying to design it, probably Naim with guidance from Clearaudio, and Clearaudio would stipulate a minimum order. They'll have to tool up/set-up to make the parts and they'll need to sell so many to Naim just to get the cost of the set-up back. So Naim aren't going to know exactly what the end product sounds like until they've committed so much to it that scrapping the venture would be very unappealing.

I'm not saying the deck sounds bad but if it was great the most profitable thing to do is add it to their regular product list and get it into dealers for them to dem it. Naim didn't do that. They wound up the hype machine. Limited edition (Probably the minimum order) and order it in advance. Premium brands do this shit all the time and if you've got the money to burn and are more concerned with the label than the value then fine, go for it. But personally, I suspect that if this deck had been really great it would have been a full production product, and it would have been more expensive.

It is a bit odd, granted. But £16k is pocket money to some Naim owners. When a 500 series amp costs £50,000 and that isn’t even top of the range!

I think for most of us, the fun is in the tweaking. So a complete deck like the Solstice lacks that fun part of the hobby. Not to mention it looking like a baboons derrière.

It is a bit odd, granted. But £16k is pocket money to some Naim owners. When a 500 series amp costs £50,000 and that isn’t even top of the range!

I suspect that the original intention was it to be a top dog turntable with a price to match but it just didn't work out. In a few years time I don't think anyone will be talking about it any more.

I think for most of us, the fun is in the tweaking. So a complete deck like the Solstice lacks that fun part of the hobby. Not to mention it looking like a baboons derrière.

Now come on, don’t exaggerate. You can get a 500 and a 552 for £50k and maybe even the taller Fraim shelf to clear the 500 too, though I haven’t checked the latest price rise.

advertisement

Back