advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Perhaps the problem is that Naim introducing a high end TT is just not really that exciting to users outside of the Naim devotees. The fact that it is really a Clearaudio design probably doesn’t really help either.

Now come on, don’t exaggerate. You can get a 500 and a 552 for £50k and maybe even the taller Fraim shelf to clear the 500 too, though I haven’t checked the latest price rise.

Exactly - 5xx series amp (pre/power) is £50k. That’s a hell of a lot of dosh given you could buy a very fine turntable, a first class DAC/streamer and a set of outstanding active speakers for the same outlay or less!

It's certainly pretty enigmatic caused by the limited run.
Having a reworked ARO on it certainly makes it very interesting.
If its going against a Klimax level LP12 you certainly get a lot with phonostage - power supply - cartridge.So relative to it's price point and the high end decks in that ballpark, it does offer a lot.
I did read the review on hifi + ages ago which was positive.
Until anyone really hears it.It's impossible to really say if its outstanding etc.

There's a few shops in England have one on demonstration, DNA recently posted a pic of it along side the TOTR Linn Klimax so shouldn't be difficult to have a comparison demonstration.

These days Naim are not naim audio company that I fell in the love with. The sound has lost the fun and gone all hif, id stand my 1984 lp12 aro, Armageddon, Prefix k and Lyra kleso Sl up against that Naim/Pure audio beast, just to see who had the first foot tapping going on. Most of the Original staff at Naim have gone Barr a few senior members. A dealer over here was tell me focal are going to move the main box production to France, not sure if that’s true??
Tis was just a great Little audio company thats been Mutated into a corporate psychopath. KPI all the way. Definitely living on the old coattails.
RIP Naim Audio, i shall never buy your new gear…. Turncoats!!!!

These days Naim are not naim audio company that I fell in the love with. The sound has lost the fun and gone all hif, id stand my 1984 lp12 aro, Armageddon, Prefix k and Lyra kleso Sl up against that Naim/Pure audio beast, just to see who had the first foot tapping going on. Most of the Original staff at Naim have gone Barr a few senior members. A dealer over here was tell me focal are going to move the main box production to France, not sure if that’s true??
Tis was just a great Little audio company thats been Mutated into a corporate psychopath. KPI all the way. Definitely living on the old coattails.
I think you might be being a little unfair, there. Even if Julian hadn’t died, he’d have retired by now, as have other old senior staff. I’m not mad keen on much of their current kit or their current management but if they attempted to remain the same now as in the mid 80s/90s they simply wouldn’t exist at all. Anyway, I’m off to watch a film on my VCR.

I believe its been 10 years since Vervent merged Naim with Focal.

Hi Mr Pink Eyes
I have to ask did your dealer give you any
Indication where he got the information about the moving production to France

My friends is a Naim/Linn lover. We were talking last night and he said he had recently bought his new Naim stack from a well known dealer. When he asked about the TT the dealer said he was underwhelmed and thought it was ugly. Not a good sign really.

A dealer saying its ugly..bet he don't stock them for sale

I spoke to a dealer recently who does stock them and he didn't speak very highly of it. I say them but he still has not sold the first unit he got when they were launched.

I think you might be being a little unfair, there. Even if Julian hadn’t died, he’d have retired by now, as have other old senior staff. I’m not mad keen on much of their current kit or their current management but if they attempted to remain the same now as in the mid 80s/90s they simply wouldn’t exist at all. Anyway, I’m off to watch a film on my VCR.

VCR ha ha nice once!

I believe its been 10 years since Vervent merged Naim with Focal.

Thats when things started to go to custard. They have slowly but surly been Influencing Naims sound signature.unfortunately the corporate has stood on toes over here (down under), Removed 35 year sales/Veteran service agents, gone with a new importer who has a lot of other brands and clearly no very little idea about Naim audio setup, service, or the passion Naim freaks have. That importer is having trouble finding audio Shops to sell the product in NZ.

Hi Mr Pink Eyes
I have to ask did your dealer give you any
Indication where he got the information about the moving production to France

Hes not my dealer as he wont stock Naim products, the Australasian importer approached him, sent three big ticket systems, the dealer demo them at his own house and decided that the sound Signature is not what they/he believes there direction is. Can you imagine that “hi,you can sell Naim products in your shop” and he refused wow! Nobody else sells Naim in the South Island when the Previous some importer had 3 shops. Anyway In that Conversation he mentioned about the production moving to France, could be a vicious rumour of he was told by the importer who would know. I double dare you to ask them in the Naim forum that would be funny!!! See what happens, should be quite entertaining L.
Doug Graham Naims Long since removed international sales agent had a run on with a focal rep about a setup of a system and lost. Really just that.
Now heres the kicker< Naim are selling 3+ more boxes than ever before and thats what keeps a corporate happy, KPI’s Bonus,New Psychopathic managers kissing up and kicking down changing things for the better for themselves etc…think ill keep my 52/135 as the Music sounds fine and i can know the passion behind the build.

Hey this is my opinion and hear say, just watch that space should be rather Entertaining.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back