advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

I'm trying to work out why on earth it needs a "suction/release" knob. It mentions something about holding the platters together, but surely that need not be a manual switch...?

Vacuum platter, I think all Techdas TTs use these as did the top of the range Basis TTs years ago, I'm sure there's been others too, probably would be an incredible amount of faffing about.

Vacuum platter, I think all Techdas TTs use these as did the top of the range Basis TTs years ago, I'm sure there's been others too, probably would be an incredible amount of faffing about.

Especially when it goes wrong…

Let's get real, there's nothing groundbreaking about anything naim have ever done. Like every big brand they've hung onto outmoded designs until the very last minute. So on that basis, genius, seems a bit rich. If Mr george had a load of circuit topologies named after him you might have a point, but he doesn't, neither do naim have design firsts in their lineup, it had all been done before, or was a failure.

If Mr george had a load of circuit topologies named after him you might have a point, but he doesn't, neither do naim have design firsts in their lineup, it had all been done before, or was a failure.

Name designers of that era that do! Audio is a mature and very slowly evolutionary technology. The heavy lifting work was done way back in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I’m struggling to think of anything genuinely radical since Quad’s Current Dumping aside from switch-mode PSUs (which came to audio from computing etc). Given the conservative and slow-moving nature of this industry it is far better to build stuff sufficiently well it remains desirable and serviceable for many decades. Naim have achieved that where so many audio brands fail.

PS I suspect it would be all but impossible to get a patent on a turntable or hi-fi amplifier development this late in the day. Everything has been done a lifetime ago! Maybe just about possible for software-based stuff like Devialet, but nowhere else.

Have you met him?

I have met him on a few occasions and have had very interesting discussions. I admire and respect his ideas and innovation and I know for a fact he is hugely respected in his field.
I used to work with him, so yes, I've met him. No axe to grind at all, and yes, he does have some interesting views and he holds them in an interesting way. Unconventional yes, genius no.

Good pictures have been posted on the NAIM forum of a real life Solstice (possibly customer owned) and LP12 side by side for those interested.

Their new PSU and phonostage boxes looks the business, sure they will be available separately along with Aro 2, once ww supplies are getting better.
Guess these are made in UK.

On a sidenote, I certainly hope Naim will establish a service center inside EU to avoid the hassle through Brexit customs, perhaps at some French Focal facilities.

I too was fortunate enough to work with Roy George for many years and he would be deeply offended by anyone calling him a genius, he is one of the nicest, kindest most self effacing people I have ever met (in an industry sadly short of them), who merely got on with his job designing great products for a great company

To canonise or pillory him for Solstice is a misjudgment of the facts and does the guy a serious injustice IMHO.

Last edited:
I too was fortunate enough to work with Roy George for many years and he would be deeply offended by anyone calling him a genius, he is one of the nicest, kindest most self effacing people I have ever met (in an industry sadly short of them), who merely got on with his job designing great products for a great company

To cannonise or pillory him for Solstice is a misjudgment of facts and does the guy a serious discredit IMHO.

Well said, certain people on this thread need to have a serious look at themselves, their blind prejudice is pathetic frankly!

advertisement

Back