advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
No evidence that they are but as with Alpha and Delta that is absolutely not going to stop people suggesting otherwise.
I’m tired of shit being given & taken too personally in this thread. One member even appears to left pfm because of it.

A simple reply like “I’ve seen no evidence that they are” is plenty. Plain facts and simple opinions are all I care about.

Guinness,

Tell that to Roy Castle.

I’ve replied to this point earlier. I’ve not dismissed the risk of disease from exposure to secondhand smoke, but it’s not the same thing as risk of disease from exposure to a rather contagious virus.

Joe

P.S. And if it took decades of performing in nightclubs surrounded by COVID positive people to get COVID (basically the analogy of getting lung cancer from exposure to secondhand smoke) we would not have had a pandemic that’s turned the world upside down.

I disagree, thanks to the likes of Gav, Ian and hc I have learned way more about Coronavirus from this thread than any other resource. In many ways it’s actually the best thread on pfm. All in my opinion FWIW obviously.
I like that it gives me a view into the situation in the UK from the other side of the world, together with useful scientific analysis of a fast moving target. It’s my primary source on the internet.

It’s just exasperating having to plough through all the trolling & shit-flinging. Kudos to those who ignore the bait & keep their cool.

I like that it gives me a view into the situation in the UK from the other side of the world, together with useful scientific analysis of a fast moving target. It’s my primary source on the internet.

It’s just exasperating having to plough through all the trolling & shit-flinging. Kudos to those who ignore the bait & keep their cool.

Yep, well apologies as I am guilty of rising to the bait and being too personal at times, but it's a very emotive subject and I'm not as thick skinned as some. However, New Year's resolutions and all that :D

The pandemic and how we deal with it is an emotive subject.

Some of us have lost family and friends to the disease. Some of us have lost our livelihoods or have taken a financial hit because of lockdowns. Yet others are working longer hours than ever. Some parents have had to juggle working full time while providing full-time childcare. Children in particular have lost much — camaraderie with friends, countless experiences and opportunities, not to mention the toll that virtual learning has taken on their education. Some have not had any choice and have had to continue working in jobs that put them at risk, from doctors on the front lines of care to clerks who stock the shelves. And there's the toll on mental health from living during such uncertain and stressful times worsened by isolation or dramatically reduced interaction with others for months on end.

COVID truly sucks.

Joe

I dip in & out of this, mostly out. Majority of the ‘information’ is just links to other sources & the rest is opinion from people who I don’t know. I have no idea whether the individuals talking have actual expertise or are just recycling/surmising.

It certainly is an emotive subject, one that is very difficult to have a consistent position on. I don’t have a covid proof income so tend to err on the keeping the economy moving side; also very mindful of how harmful lockdowns are to the young.

I haven’t followed earlier UK stats on Covid in children. Are infected kids with Omicron getting more ill than with Delta?

The last figures I saw before christmas suggested that children were still being infected primarily with Delta so it's very hard to say just now. We do know that more children than ever are being hospitalised.

I wonder if 10 days is a busted flush in real terms? There are possibly three broad categories of people- those who will ignore a positive self test/ contact with an infected person because it would interfere with their life to isolate, those who will respond scrupulously to a positive LFT/ infected contact because it’s the right thing to do for everyone else and those who welcome the opportunity to stay off work. If a shortened period is indicated medically and it makes compliance more attractive to those who would otherwise avoid it, then it’s a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back