advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A different approach tonight: 2017 Seña - half bottle. It’s a Bordeaux blend, and tastes like it. It went perfectly with duck and potato dauphinois.

Dog Point Section 94 is fairly challenging. After trying it again I'm sure I like it.
CT is quite amusing: 'nose of cat's pee and burnt asphalt'. But other notes compare it to burgundy, good chablis (it is definitely not like a chardonnay) or bordeaux...

Last edited:
A lunchtime pfm summit meeting at the Towers has just wound up. The Fuet salami (thanks to @BTC3 for endorsing my purchase at the time) went down a storm with baguette de campagne and Le Ronsay. The ham salad with estate Charlottes did a manful job as support. The Ronsay continued to deliver.

Music was supplied by Armstrong, Evans, Coltrane, Zorn and Ribot.

A lunchtime pfm summit meeting at the Towers has just wound up. The Fuet salami (thanks to @BTC3 for endorsing my purchase at the time) went down a storm with baguette de campagne and Le Ronsay. The ham salad with estate Charlottes did a manful job as support. The Ronsay continued to deliver.

Music was supplied by Armstrong, Evans, Coltrane, Zorn and Ribot.
You coulda had a nice little Kabinett.

I found a bottle of Bongran 2012 in a crate in the sitting room (long story). It had been lying there for at least for 3 years, probably longer. So we drank it tonight with sautéed chicken in a mushroom and cream sauce. Using my completely made up rule of time of x3, 3+ years at room temperature plus the normal aging before we forgot it under the coffee table would make it the equivalent of 15 years in a good cellar, and I expected disappointment.
It was very good: not a huge nose, but the balance of acidity, residual sugar and length was fine and in line with what I would have expected from this wine grower even in a younger wine. No sign of maderization. So the aging potential of their wines is considerable, much greater than most Mâcon whites.
iu

Exactly, and there is another (2014 or 2015) in the same crate which will do nicely for the Xmas to NY interval.

I don’t do Christmas. To me, to have a fortnight-long ‘season of goodwill’ also carries a tacit implication that it’s OK to behave like an arse towards everyone else for the other 50 weeks, which I don’t go along with. And I’ll believe it’s ‘really for the kids’ when they stump up the majority of the cash that retailers try to shame you into spending with their carefully-aimed, cynically sentimental advertising campaigns.

But there’s no point in fighting it, Marchbanks, just meet it on your own terms. So. My terms are - during the Ghastly Period the cellars will be raided for particularly interesting bottles. Here’s no. 1.

51766443516_701c9ba27f_z.jpg

No surprises, eh? Ernest Burn Goldert Pinot Gris 2010. Magnificent. Beautiful, acid and rich at the same time. You know all this by now if you’ve ever read my Burn ramblings. This is the last bottle. Goodbye, old friend...

Tonight this was paired with France Musique la Jazz and also some crusty French baguette and a wedge of Philippe Olivier’s Fourme au Sauternes. Fourme d’Ambert blue cheese that has had liberal doses of... yes, you guessed. An extraordinary thing, the saltiness of the blue cheese suddenly gives way to sweetness when you go inside from the crust. It cost approximately one arm and half a leg, but hey, it’s Christmas. Ah - hold on - am I starting to get the hang of this?

Last edited:
I’ve been trying to remember the name of the 2011 Cotes du Rhône I finished yesterday but without success, and it’s in the recycling box now. It was very nice, anyway.

Supreme effort at recall produces the result Dauvergne Ranvier!

I don’t do Christmas. To me, to have a fortnight-long ‘season of goodwill’ also carries a tacit implication that it’s OK to behave like an arse towards everyone else for the other 50 weeks, which I don’t go along with. And I’ll believe it’s ‘really for the kids’ when they stump up the majority of the cash that retailers try to shame you into spending with their carefully-aimed, cynically sentimental advertising campaigns.

But there’s no point in fighting it, Marchbanks, just meet it on your own terms. So. My terms are - during the Ghastly Period the cellars will be raided for particularly interesting bottles. Here’s no. 1.

51766443516_701c9ba27f_z.jpg

No surprises, eh? Ernest Burn Goldert Pinot Gris 2010. Magnificent. Beautiful, acid and rich at the same time. You know all this by now if you’ve ever read my Burn ramblings. This is the last one. Goodbye, old friend...

Tonight this was paired with France Musique la Jazz and also some crusty French baguette and a wedge of Philippe Olivier’s Fourme au Sauternes. Fourme d’Ambert blue cheese that has had liberal doses of... yes, you guessed. An extraordinary thing, the saltiness of the blue cheese suddenly gives way to sweetness when you go inside from the crust. It cost approximately one arm and half a leg, but hey, it’s Christmas. Ah - hold on - am I starting to get the hang of this?

That was an epic fail at grumpiness MB. Merry Xmas.
Hope you declared the penicillium roqueforti at the border ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back