advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was the place for a drunken bacchanal not the elysian fields.

Vital spark of heav’nly flame!
Quit, O quit this mortal frame:
Trembling, hoping, ling’ring, flying,
O the pain, the bliss of dying!
Cease, fond Nature, cease thy strife,
And let me languish into life.

Hark! they whisper; angels say,
Sister Spirit, come away!
What is this absorbs me quite?
Steals my senses, shuts my sight,
Drowns my spirits, draws my breath?
Tell me, my soul, can this be death?

The world recedes; it disappears!
Heav’n opens on my eyes! my ears
With sounds seraphic ring!
Lend, lend your wings! I mount! I fly!
O Grave! where is thy victory?
O Death! where is thy sting?

OK. Its been an awful 18 months, three of my best old mates gone to the scythe, the oldest 64, the youngest just 51.

And other stuff.

It's a strange thing, and I don't know if other people will concur, but in my life these difficult things are like the 53 bus -- loads of them come all together and then you don't see one for ages and ages.

Most of the busses around these parts seem to have been no.53 for some while. At least that's how it feels at the mo.

Perhaps it's the weather.

This is the moment in the year and the place to buy Au Bon Climat Isabelle if you want some. £41.23 a bottle is much, much cheaper than anyone else. It sells out very quickly, too.

I was slightly tempted by this and then I read a review on the Majestic site which suggested to me that it's more you than me

This is really good with lots of fruit and oddly when thinking about a pairing I'm thinking Vanilla Ice cream

@eternumviti I’m not trying to engage in one-upmanship, but I can relate to what you’re going through, especially the number 53 aspect. I thought we’d got through COVID relatively unscathed, then 6 bereavements over an approximately 4 week period; none directly attributable to covid.
I haven’t learned anything in particular from it, certainly no pithy insights, but my heart goes out to you. It’s horrible.

I was slightly tempted by this and then I read a review on the Majestic site which suggested to me that it's more you than me
The more tasting notes I read the more I think you simply have to take a punt on your own judgment based on your knowledge of producer, region, grape varieties, vintage et al. Or the views of people you know and/or trust. Most notes are only good as sources of unintentional amusement, like this one.

‘Its medium bodied well concentrated and nicely spherical palate has a lovely silky freshly fruited blue and red fruits palate.’

Nicely spherical palate, anyone?

The kids are watching a film and I've got an hour or two spare. What better way to spend it than to order a few nice bottles for Christmas.

I think I've got some nice reds, but my interest has been tweaked by yet more mentions of Bruno Sorg. Where best to start and where to get it?
(Sadly trips to Alsace are not an option).

The kids are watching a film and I've got an hour or two spare. What better way to spend it than to order a few nice bottles for Christmas.

I think I've got some nice reds, but my interest has been tweaked by yet more mentions of Bruno Sorg. Where best to start and where to get it?
(Sadly trips to Alsace are not an option).

I think the Gewurtz.is probably too opulent to be
drinking every day.I enjoyed the Sylvaner and the Pinot blanc

http://blackdogwines.co.uk/growers/france/alsace/domaine-bruno-sorg/

Damn there goes my Riedel goblet.The cat was sitting on my lap,I reached out for the remote ,it fell onto the edge of the glass cracked it, spilled the Vik fortunately missing the Kashan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back