Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Dogberry, Nov 27, 2020.

1. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

12 bottles from Byrnes, Clitheroe; £80 Christmas Box:

[​IMG]

Weekender and Dogberry like this.
  2. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

I did snag/bag 3 but that's it .I felt confident knowing that it had the full @Marchbanks imprimatur.

3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Well done for finding it at Majestic at all. Unless you live in Skipton. When I rang them last week they said that was the only branch in the country showing stock, but they thought it was probably an error.

4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

still some space

[​IMG]

trying to yield some space downstairs by reducing the gin bottle count from its current 72 bottles to about half that.

Dogberry and hifilover1979 like this.
  5. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

It has been dispatched.

6. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Oh my god, shit, someone just gave up their seat for me on the tube.

Dogberry and gintonic like this.
  7. gintonic

post a selfie and we'll tell you if you look that old

8. Marchbanks

Ooh! Just the Malbec, or the CF too? I’ll be making my regular pilgrimage to see the glories of the M25 on Dec 18, so if you’ve had a chance to taste by then perhaps we can meet and you can offload what I want/whatever you don’t.

Fortunately I don’t have to do the tube, but my equivalent is checkout ladies offering to help me find the right amount of coins while I’m searching through my pockets to find my specs (which are most likely dangling round my neck.) Bonus points for me if they call me ‘dear’. It’s great, embrace it. As long as you don’t feel old, why give a toss?

9. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

That's me on the horse outside the Guggenheim in Venice.

10. gintonic

all you experts - recommend me a lovely dry Cremant de Alsace, and some extra dry Sekt.

11. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

12. gintonic

why not you - and you can report back with words of wisdom

13. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I was very impressed by Whole Foods Market in Fulham today -- good wine and good food. I found a British coeur de boeuf tomato which was edible, some delicious ripe Concorde pears and some organic risotto rice at a price comparable to the web, maybe cheaper.

gintonic likes this.
  14. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

I just track the big spenders.
    Just opened.Lovely wine.Worth checking out Eric Texier.

15. Marchbanks

'My love' x2 in B&M Home Store just now (I like their cascading coat hangers). Five points for that, I reckon.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021 at 3:24 PM
  16. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Dinner on Monday was the full Argentinean parrilla of chorizo, morcilla, provoleta de cabra, followed by ojo de bife and asado de tira. All accompanied by an avocado and tomato salad. Wine was a pink fizz on arrival (didn’t catch the name, but perfectly acceptable), and a Familia Zuccardi Serie A Malbec. This last can only be described as purple. In the glass, on the nose, and in taste. Not a fruit bomb, but perfectly rounded and formed, with only a touch of acidity to balance the fattiness of the asado de tira.
    Context is everything, and this was a blissful evening at a table on the pavement outside Don Julio in Buenos Aires. I doubt the same ingredients would have rated the same at a steakhouse in Hertfordshire on the same day.
    Might well be Cabaña Las Lilas tonight…

17. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

Brilliant.
    One of us is a jammy ba*tard.
    [​IMG]
    Cant wait to try the Vik.

18. Marchbanks

I reckon that would also apply to someone who found Riccitelli Malbec in a Majestic branch.

19. gintonic

no Sekt? reccos? Cremant de Alsace?

I thought there was expertise on here?

20. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

I haven't seen sekt for years. I used to work for Kupferberg in Mainz when I were a lad, famous for their brand Kupferberg Gold.

I suspect its fallen out of fashion. It certainly has here.

Cremant d'Alsace can be found. Don't ask me how I know. But I recommend Domaine Bruno Sorg.

gintonic likes this.