advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Govie's usually cooking up some sort of witchcraft behind the scenes. Probably not good when he goes off the radar.

I was thinking the same. Starmer did something similar coming near the end of the last election. With the Tories anything could happen. All fearful of moving against BJ too early as they can't figure out if the public still love him or not. I'm biased but none of them look electable to me. Letwin, Grieve and Clarke were the last sort normal decent Tories for me. There was a couple of females also but they are all well buried now.

I was thinking the same. Starmer did something similar coming near the end of the last election. With the Tories anything could happen. All fearful of moving against BJ too early as they can't figure out if the public still love him or not. I'm biased but none of them look electable to me. Letwin, Grieve and Clarke were the last sort normal decent Tories for me. There was a couple of females also but they are all well buried now.
When they decide to remove Johnson it’ll be sudden and massive. They are looking now at a liability so big it’ll cost them the election and worse, their backers’ money. The only question is when will the tipping point of public opinion arrive? A winter of chaos might be the time.

Hopefully they keep him for the full term as he is playing a starmer for Labour. Maybe Starmer is playing a stormer by letting Bojo dig the grave. If he goes to early it starts to wear thin as election comes and the swing Tory voters get distracted.

Hopefully they keep him for the full term as he is playing a starmer for Labour. Maybe Starmer is playing a stormer by letting Bojo dig the grave. If he goes to early it starts to wear thin as election comes and the swing Tory voters get distracted.
Perhaps, but I think Starmer does have to make moves now, to raise the credibility of the LP as an opposition well in advance of any defenestrations at CCHQ. Otherwise, the Tories will rise again on a wave of 'not Boris', in the same way that Major did after Thatcher.

That’s right, a sliding doors operation is in the offing. Replace Johnson with a man who combs his hair and at least doesn’t appear to be a psychopath. I’ve no doubt they will dump Johnson, just sooner than expected.

Perhaps, but I think Starmer does have to make moves now, to raise the credibility of the LP as an opposition well in advance of any defenestrations at CCHQ. Otherwise, the Tories will rise again on a wave of 'not Boris', in the same way that Major did after Thatcher.

Can't disagree but for the purposes of this thread the hope is it would contain an alternative path to the Brexit taken by the Tories. The minute policies are laid out the Tories have a target to deflect from Bojo and their current predicament. Keeping powder dry but hopefully getting everybody on his party close to the same page at least gives them a fighting chance come election time. Just approaching half time for Boris still two years to go.

I make it more like three years, unless Boris goes for an early election. Recent events have made that somewhat less likely ...

I make it more like three years, unless Boris goes for an early election. Recent events have made that somewhat less likely ...

Ah didn't realize its a 5 year term. Well if I was Starmer I would playing no cards at the moment then. Just keep scoring when Boris slips on the banana skins and Brexit will do the heavy lifting as time elapses.

The move is to avoid Dutch dividend tax apparently. Whatever the case you can be sure it’s not to benefit the UK or a vote of confidence in it.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...fidence-in-the-economy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
How can the moving of the 20th biggest company in the world headquarters to UK not benefit UK? Shall we start with a couple of hundred mill in corporation tax? Then we can move onto why the Dutch are now scrambing to reverse the decision.

Unless the next GE is called early it will probably be on 2nd May 2024.

Yes that is the correct date in UK law as we are on fixed term Parliaments now. It would take a supermajority of two thirds of MPs to instigate a GE before that date. Johnson can’t call a snap one at a moment most favourable to him such as when the nation is on a high after England’s 2022 WC or Ashes victories, or a British ladies singles winner at Wimbledon without a supermajority.

Last edited:
Victory in Europe!

“Brexit LIVE: EU caves! Frost on brink of victory as bloc sees route out of Article 16 row
BREXIT tensions could be set to be eased with Maros Sefcovic warning there is a way out of the current impasse over Northern Ireland”.
The Sexpress

Field Marshall Frost has them cornered. Nothing short of unconditional surrender acceptable.

meanwhile….

“BREXIT tension in Spain was evident as expats clashed with each other over the UK's withdrawal from the EU, it has emerged.
Mark Sampson, a former bar owner and fervent Brexiteer, said: “I get Remainers trying to tell me their arguments. I’ve had a few shouting at me in bars.

"I am 6ft tall and 20 stone so no one’s going to take me on in a fight, but if they want to talk about Brexit, I give them both barrels.”

Last edited:
An excellent and well-balanced article from The Atlantic on the problems caused by the existence of my native sod:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/11/uk-eu-northern-ireland/620716/

Personally, I regard the whole thing as the UK's fault, as, to anyone coming from Ireland, north or south, it was screamingly obvious that this would be a consequence of Brexit. However, given what's at stake (people's livelihoods and perhaps literally their lives), the EU could be somewhat more accommodating. However, to me, the UK comes across as a bit like Nazi Germany in Churchill's famous Czechoslovakia speech following "peace in our time":

£1 was demanded at the pistol’s point. When it was given, £2 were demanded at the pistol’s point. Finally, the dictator consented to take £1 17s. 6d. and the rest in promises of goodwill for the future.

...the utmost he
[PM Neville Chamberlain] has been able to gain for Czechoslovakia in the matters which were in dispute has been that the German dictator, instead of snatching the victuals from the table, has been content to have them served to him course by course.

Not, of course, that I am comparing Johnson or Frost in any way to Hitler, but the technique seems to be the same - and it will ultimately fail. I can only hope that reason prevails on both sides.

5a6885ad-7948-e8a3-7fc8-3f24802d0529.jpg
Most recent poll in the New European

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back