13/10 - day off
14/10 - training
15/10 - training
16/10 - day off
17/10 - game
18/10 - day off
19/10 - day off

He’s a one. From today’s David Squires:

Will you be ****ing off today, Mr Bruce?
No, I’m not a quitter. Unless you count Sheffield United, Wigan, Hull, Palace, Birming...

Maybe so but they won the league spending a fraction of what the big clubs spent - most expensive player in their starting 11 was Okazaki at a cool 7 mill.
Fantastic achievement the like of which I doubt we'll ever see again.

fair play but I do recall they spent £60+M in 12 months and most of the competition was in transition - I recall Spurs thumped then twice that season

Still hiding behind the couch . Liverpool were good for ten minutes then awful for the rest of the game . Then they got very lucky and still nearly threw it away . Winning ugly is sometimes even nicer than just running away with it but much worse on your blood pressure and not as much fun .

City were good throughout and should have scored even more against what is a not awful side but one that was outclassed. Really very different games yet both teams will earn the same points .

The return leg at Anfield is not going to make good viewing and I can see someone getting a bad injury if things get out of hand . The TV companies love when they show Liverpool as it is never boring , part of me wishes we could just have a few sedate games but sadly that is just not in Liverpools DNA .

Now the predictable view , the sending off was inevitable and had to be done you can not plant your boot in the side of someones face even by accident at that height all players owe a duty of care to the other players on the pitch and when you ignore that you have to go . We have had the same decisions against us and I was incensed at the time but after about ten minutes to calm down have to agree that a red card for dangerous play has to be the right decision .

Penalty awards were a puzzle , Liverpool's was correct he just played the man so for me at least no argument. The Athletic penalty was one that I could see it being given and I could see it being dismissed what I do not see is that there would have been any serious error either way . In that case I really feel that the Ref should have gone with his original decision but he must have seen something in the play back that changed his mind . If it had been awarded I would have accepted it but was honestly surprised when he decided to change his mind . Liverpool players did nothing to pressure the Ref and given that the crowd and Simione were going mad he must have really been convinced to change his view the easy choice would have been give it. As I say we were lucky and I will take that any day .

Now Liverpool you gang of idiots do not blow this and make sure from this position that you qualify .

fair play but I do recall they spent £60+M in 12 months and most of the competition was in transition - I recall Spurs thumped then twice that season
Wow, they spent a whole £60m to win a title! Think you’re clutching a bit here tqinell. Next you’ll be telling us Liverpool won their title with a net spend of £6! :rolleyes::D

Wow, they spent a whole £60m to win a title! Think you’re clutching a bit here tqinell. Next you’ll be telling us Liverpool won their title with a net spend of £6! :rolleyes::D
You took the words out of my mouth - the big clubs (and Manure;)) spend 60 mill plus on one player without batting an eyelid.
Astonishing achievement by Leicester.

It's reported that they paid SWFC £4m! I hope it isn't true....

Maybe we should have a fans whip-round for Bruce at the 1st home game after he's gone. Top up his £30m pension pot. Better still, I'm sure all his former clubs will be more than willing to chip-in.
Well you can’t blame him, he missed out on a golden handshake at Wednesday;)

The idea of loyalty in football is long dead, players/managers only stay until a better offer comes along. It also works the other way, many a decent manager is sacked.

"Bruce needs a holiday and has earned one."

Aye fair play, it's been a whole month since his last one.

Still playing the victim with his hack Edwards in The Torygraph...

..."it's not about me."

Utter, complete and absolute....b*ll*cks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Graeme Jones Newcastle Team selection for Crystal Palace on Saturday. It will tell us allot about whether these past performances were Steve Bruces team selections, or the collective coaching teams. For example, will Joelinton keep his place? Will Lewis come in at Left Back? Who will be the Centre Backs? Will Dwight Gayle be used more? Formation might be interesting too. We desperately need to tighten up defensively.

Some reflection from nufc.com on the original Bruce appointment:

Reaction:
Out of Tyne

After the new administration succeeded in getting Br(uc)exit done, we thought it worthwhile revisiting our reaction to his installation at SJP in July 2019:

So all the talk of progressive football has been sacrificed on the altar of expedience and we're now saddled with a John Carver/Steve McClaren reboot.

We don't really care about his club hopping or the plight he's left Wednesday in; Bruce's mackem connection or his perception as an Old Trafford apologist is of little consequence.

And even the claim that the man who allegedly bleeds black and white once preferred Norwich City to Newcastle doesn't particularly matter - football is a lie, as his predecessor was fond of saying.

Regardless of your viewpoint of Rafa though, this appointment cannot be seen as anything other than a retrograde step - a man who previously boasted of his dislike of tactics.

This is the very opposite of ambition, but an appointment that nicely mirrors our grubby, unloved, derided shell of a football club.

One of the game’s greatest mercenary managers is now in residence at his "spiritual home", for now.

Acutely aware of the frosty reception awaiting, Bruce has accepted the job with open arms knowing that the worst case scenario is a multi-million payout.

The job title given to him of Head Coach seems significant: with just over three weeks to go until the transfer window closes, let's hope that whoever is actually in charge of recruitment on Barrack Road has a coherent and credible plan to avoid what looks like nothing but a relegation fight.

Whether the club have shown some foresight in appointing Bruce remains to be seen; perhaps they've merely acquired a manager with promotion to the top flight on his CV, 13 months before he's needed.

We may have got the timescale wrong in the last paragraph, but the direction of travel was correct.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back