advertisement

Apple unethical...

The following is slightly tongue in cheek (although only slightly):

I'm an experienced unix/linux system administrator with decades of experience, but there is no way I'd recommend Linux as a general purpose PC operating system although I can understand some cheapskate enthusiasts being willing to use it when it is appropriate for their own (no doubt very limited) use case (even if that is only to crow about how they are independent thinkers and therefore better than the rest of us in some undefined way)... ;)

I've used the Apple OS and really just don't like it at all, although again I can see how some might still prefer it to Windows 3.1 - which was perhaps the last version of Windows that wasn't comprehensively superior to the Mac OS of the same period (and still seems to be what Mac fanboys seem to compare against).

Also on my desk at the moment I have a pretty modern iPhone (an 11) as well as a good modern Android phone - and can't for the life of me see how anyone can think the very clunky iPhone operating system is superior to Android (especially as the iPhone costs about double what the Android phone did, despite the latter having much, much, much better hardware). Some do though.

I've never really been a fan of Apple computers although at one time I did think their phones were better than everything else available (well, as handheld computers - the phone side has never been that great) but I think they've been comprehensively over-taken now in pretty much every area of their business - other than in engendering fanboy loyalty of course.
^ Everything to everyman reply?

Because, as a PC operating system, it's pretty shite.

How does the general public/user benefit from Linux over a Mac, talking computer based.

OS on a Mac is a wonderful operating system for someone who dosent want 'more' than an OS.

Does Linux run on phones as well?

I now seriously doubt your stated credentials. Let's call that 'my problem'.

I've moved on somewhat from my Unix admin days however I have worked for a number major hardware vendors in the past. Under the desk I'm sitting at now there are HP, Sun and Dell server hardware (all running Linux) - not that I've turned them on in a while!

You mean in the consumer market place. Unix and Linux have been widely used commercially over the last 3 decades.

DV

'General market', would denote consumer to me.

I've used Linux plenty throughout stages in my life, when I was a PC geek at college slating Macs at every opportunity and was die hard Windows fan, never liked it. But appreciate it may have gotten better since then.

I would say that he has experience as an operator but doesn't understand the O/S - Its capabilities are vast.

That'd be that "better than the rest of us" attitude I mentioned earlier.

Linux is a very good server operating system, but a very limited PC one unless your requirements are very basic and you're also able to support it yourself. For the vast majority of the population Windows is a much better choice, which is why so many use it and so few use Linux.

It's nice that the comments so far are substantially supporting my initially stated points!

Is that what the consumer market needs?
Of course it is. When you have an excellent tool it can do small things as well as big things. And when you are getting it without having to sell the shirt off your back it's a great deal.

advertisement

Back