advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can certainly see restrictions against the unvaccinated ramping up. Employment, restaurants, bars, shops, theatres, concert venues, transport, hotels, gyms. The list could go on and whilst you’re not forced to have a jab, your life is going to be pretty difficult and constrained if you don’t.

I saw somewhere the numbers of people in their 40s and 50s who haven't taken both vaccines, I was surprised how many there are. But it really may not count for much, as I said, no-one knows much about who's ending up in hospital now. Are they vaccinated but already ill?

We'll learn to live with high prevalence. Maybe vaccination is all we need to keep deaths and school problems at a level the British people will tolerate.
I suspect the British people won’t get much choice about what we tolerate, because once the vaccine rollout is complete, including boosters, I’m expecting the Guvmint to declare job done and no more restrictions. I suspect the British people will tolerate however many deaths happen once they stop being reported on a daily basis. It’ll quickly fall off the public agenda once government and media decide it shall do so.

I suspect the British people won’t get much choice about what we tolerate, because once the vaccine rollout is complete, including boosters, I’m expecting the Guvmint to declare job done and no more restrictions. I suspect the British people will tolerate however many deaths happen once they stop being reported on a daily basis. It’ll quickly fall off the public agenda once government and media decide it shall do so.

What do you think is an acceptable daily death count before reporting should stop?

Yes, especially of schools stay open. And thanks for making the point about media -- I don't want ever to be one of those posters who hold the people in contempt, I would hate myself if that were to happen.

What do you think is an acceptable daily death count before reporting should stop?
No, that’s not what I’m saying. I think the government will at some point decide not to release daily figures any more, and the media will just stop reporting. At which point, the general population will just go back to doing its thing and not trouble itself unduly. They may notice if a colleague, friend or family member succumbs, but otherwise unless there’s another massive surge people will not look too deeply.

32 181 cases today, 50 deaths and a load of hospitalisations over the holiday - 777, 749, 688 and 701 to 29th. Back to normal reporting by Thursday I should think

I can certainly see restrictions against the unvaccinated ramping up. Employment, restaurants, bars, shops, theatres, concert venues, transport, hotels, gyms. The list could go on and whilst you’re not forced to have a jab, your life is going to be pretty difficult and constrained if you don’t.

Good, bring it on!

Surely, the paradox only arises if he’d said ‘all Cretans always lie’? Even known liars speak the truth occasionally. Look at Boris…

But a knee jerk reaction to pump a new and not very well understood drug into the arms of all our sweet innocent children, while being uncertain of the benefits and the less beneficial consequences, well . . . feels a bit iffy to me.
Well it's not exactly a knee jerk reaction: it's a reaction to the well identified issue of schools functioning as a breeding ground for the virus.

What's not well understood about these vaccines? I was listening to a top vaccination expert on TV yesterday, who was answering exactly that question. He said that the secondary effects of vaccines are normally identified in the first few months (he was only aware of only one exception). If you have any other example of significant negative side effects materializing after more than one year, I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing about it. RNA vaccine technology has been around for a while, and BioNTech/Pfizer plus Moderna must be getting close to a billion doses by now, starting 9 months ago. That's quite a robust field trial. The BioNTech vaccine has now been fully released by the FDA. Most European have been vaccinating 12-18 year olds for several months now, and the US is vaccinating even younger children.

We know that over 60% of the total deaths from covid in the UK have been the disabled, of course people have comorbidities - it doesn't justify the killing fields
Realistically, though, what choice do we, as the public, have here? If the government decides it’s done enough, and removes furlough and other support, removes the requirement for distancing, masks, ventilation, tests and whatnot, and people just go back to doing what they usually do, we’re powerless to do anything about it. And that’s how this plays out, is my guess. Maybe a month or so from here.

I'll bite - comorbidities are somewhat (actually a lot, or even extremely) rarer in children compared to adults!

As far as I know we don't know anything about the children in hospital other than that they received a covid diagnosis. We don't know how long they were admitted for, we don't know whether they were admitted partly because of some other condition, maybe an acute one, we don't know nuffink.

Realistically, though, what choice do we, as the public, have here? If the government decides it’s done enough, and removes furlough and other support, removes the requirement for distancing, masks, ventilation, tests and whatnot, and people just go back to doing what they usually do, we’re powerless to do anything about it. And that’s how this plays out, is my guess. Maybe a month or so from here.

Yes, that may well happen if it looks like it can be presented as a success.

As far as I know we don't know anything about the children in hospital other than that they received a covid diagnosis. We don't know how long they were admitted for, we don't know whether they were admitted partly because of some other condition, maybe an acute one, we don't know nuffink.

We know the numbers are increasing for a start. A couple of weeks ago most of you claimed ignorance over the numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back