advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I was tempted myself - some of the discounts on this stuff online are stellar - but sticking with the Q blue for now. I'd be interested in your opinions of the Ultra Blue when it has bedded in.

I don't think it will bed-in.
My initial concern is that it doesn't appear to contain much by way of conductor.....the important bit!

Shots of unterminated ends are nowhere to be seen and the manufacturer doesn't give specs.

Anyone know the AWG?

I don't think it will bed-in.
My initial concern is that it doesn't appear to contain much by way of conductor.....the important bit!

Shots of unterminated ends are nowhere to be seen and the manufacturer doesn't give specs.

Anyone know the AWG?

I will say this - the basic Blue cable punches above it's weight, I was pleasantly surprised by it. I've currently got it running my bass frequencies, I've bought more to get terminated to run my mains as well.

I was also annoyed because I've got EWA LS-40 on evaluation which destroys it. But because of things going bang, pop and fizz at this end I can't afford to buy it :( Never mind, at least I've had the chance to hear it.

So it should, it doesn't have any! ;)

That's my concern with these cables. They look great, very flexible but what are you actually buying on the inside?

We have an old saying here in East London - 'All fur coat and no knickers'.

As long as what's inside the fur coat is good, who cares?

Still getting used to mine but it is one lovely beast! So clear and unflustered, as much unflappable oomph as you could wish for. I know it’s a bit Old Skool but really appreciate the loudness button for lower level listening.

Been using with my CD5i for a few weeks and it’s just great…added to that theres the meters which tell you how much Velvet Underground you are playing

Yep, that loudness button means I can listen late into the evening and still really enjoy the music. Occasionally I tweak the bass control too. All this stuff we learned in the 80's about how bad tone controls are etc. is bollocks :). And I love the meters too and I don't care what others think, which I think is about the only benefit of getting old!

Castle Richmonds (front ported version) from flee bay, late 90s vintage I think, almost perfect condition and sound very nice driven by my Quad 306 in the bedroom system that I am putting together. Now for the source. Do I go for period pieces or an RPi with a hat and maybe a pot in a box passive?

Castle Richmonds (front ported version) from flee bay, late 90s vintage I think, almost perfect condition and sound very nice driven by my Quad 306 in the bedroom system that I am putting together. Now for the source. Do I go for period pieces or an RPi with a hat and maybe a pot in a box passive?

Rpi with hat and pot, shove it in a broken FM4 case.

That is what I'm building, sort of!

I know I'm old school but I would add a Quad 34 for both the sound and the look. Masterpieces that will stay forever and so pleasant to the eyes...............

In the last two weeks Arcam SA20 and a Hegel H95.

Sold both my Kef LS50 Meta Wireless and B&W Formation Duo's/Audio so starting from scratch again.

After having used two (good) Class D active speakers it is refreshing to come back to Class A/B.

There is something 'organic' and coherent about it that was a little absent.

I initially planned to assemble a purely British made system but I missed the Hegel sound. I previously had the H90 and H120. The H90 (and 95) do 90% of the 120 and as much of my listening is at low volume I dropped for the cheaper 95 this time. Speakers to be decided yet, probably Tablette 10"s in one of its guises.

I am also (very) impressed with the SA20. I can't confirm that is running in pure Class A for the first few Watts as the manufacturer claims but it chucks a fair bit of heat out. Sounds lovely smooth, full and powerful.

Current speakers used are my Quad 11 Classics which were boxed up for some time during my 'active phase'. Music definitively sounds more enjoyable again if not quite as "studio'

Last edited:
I know I'm old school but I would add a Quad 34 for both the sound and the look. Masterpieces that will stay forever and so pleasant to the eyes...............

This is one of the period piece options I was considering. However, to stay entirely "period", I would need to find a 90s CDP or TT, neither of which would be ideal in a bedroom system where I think a streaming solution would be better, but, I could hide an RPi/hat and use it with a Quad 34 instead of a simple passive. I also like the idea for shoving an RPi/hat and pot, in a Quad case from a pre or tuner sold as "for parts".

Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed headphones. Not sure they will replace the Audeze LCD-X or XC in my main systems but sound amazing from a Mojo and straight out of the Benchmark Dac1 on my desk.

Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed headphones. Not sure they will replace the Audeze LCD-X or XC in my main systems but sound amazing from a Mojo and straight out of the Benchmark Dac1 on my desk.
Very nice can selection you lucky man

My most recent purchase was an SME 309 which, when I can get round to it, might replace the Michell TecnoArm 2 on my Gyrodec.

advertisement

Back