advertisement

On holiday in Blackpool

Morecambe was nice - I recall driving through Blackpool on one of the sectors of the circum navigation of the mainland

I've only ever been there as a nipper to see the illuminations. In the days before colour TV, this was hi-tech. Not that I remember anything about them.
This. Me neither. Saw Portishead at the Tower Ballroom. Sadly I can't remember that either.

Southport is a pleasant enough town, and the beachfront is OK..though I have yet to see the sea there. Lytham.. the closest I've got to Blackpool in the last 65 years, is also OK. I do believe that Lytham is a sort of stomping ground for the young and wealthy kids from the immediate inland areas of Lancs, which feature many beautiful villages and lots of rather well heeled types. The contrast with Blackpool is stark.

It's like people who say Manchester is the 'Venice of the North'. I've even seen it said of Brum. But the biggest piss-take on those lines was the prospectus for Hull University that my younger daughter was looking at some years back. On the cover was a sandy beach with a brightly-coloured gondola and blue sky above.

We had a visiting medic from Germany who was doing some related research with us. We took him to Ingleton on a long weekend to do one or two of the three peaks but on the second day he went to Blackpool. On Monday he said he was disappointed as he thought with a name like that it would have been a spa town :D:D:D

As a kid, in the sixties, it was cheap and cheerful. The beach has good sand, none of yer pebbly Southern shite. But it's been a dump for a generation or more now. Not been since before I got married, nearly 29 years ago. Mrs P-T keeps suggesting we go, just for a laugh, but she's from Yorkshire so she's imagining something like Scarborough but facing the other way. There's no way I'd stay overnight.

I was well over the age of 40 when I first went to Blackpool. What an absolute shit hole.

As a kid, in the sixties, it was cheap and cheerful. The beach has good sand, none of yer pebbly Southern shite. But it's been a dump for a generation or more now. Not been since before I got married, nearly 29 years ago. Mrs P-T keeps suggesting we go, just for a laugh, but she's from Yorkshire so she's imagining something like Scarborough but facing the other way. There's no way I'd stay overnight.
It hung on to the dying embers of British seaside holidaying after the reliability of the weather and the novelty of Spain established itself. I suppose their customers are dying out now and the type of attractions they’re offering are not of much interest to young people. Covid is a big business opportunity though.

It hung on to the dying embers of British seaside holidaying after the reliability of the weather and the novelty of Spain established itself. I suppose their customers are dying out now and the type of attractions they’re offering are not of much interest to young people. Covid is a big business opportunity though.

Glasgow fortnight for example - those collective holiday traditions dried up with the advent of annual leave and the demise of large scale manufacturing, as much as the arrival of package holidays abroad.

advertisement

Back