advertisement

On holiday in Blackpool

richardg

Admonishtrator
Class! So far I note:

1. Massive lady fight outside the hotel 1am first night, in which we watched from our room a lady take a swing at nothing and walk into a lamp post.

2. Loads of people smoking weed.

3. The only non-English are Scottish and there are loads of them.

4. I thought everyone in Hull was fat. Next level here.

5. The novelty shops have turned things up a notch. You can get rock that says things like gay, wnaker, cnut etc.

6. I can't find a salad anywhere. Nuggets, burger, donuts, pizza, kebab dominate.

7. Hardly anyone wearing face masks, even in lifts etc.

I thoroughly recommend it!

My parents ran a guesthouse just off Gynn Square for 21 years, 1989 to 2010. It was ok at the start, but deteriorated rapidly in the noughties. Worst my dad saw was a stag party leaving a bar, early afternoon, families everywhere, and one of the party was rolling drunk and naked, with a full boner.

Not my cup of tea these days.

Think of the fresh air, the excercise and learning about your own history. None of the other tour party members would be rolling around naked on the floor with an erection either, well maybe not unless their lottery numbers had come up.

Sounds like Blackpool hasn't changed then. Last went there on a stag do nearly 20 years ago. Great with the lads but I wouldn't want to take the kids on a family holiday.

Sounds like Blackpool hasn't changed then. Last went there on a stag do nearly 20 years ago. Great with the lads but I wouldn't want to take the kids on a family holiday.
The kids absolutely love it, we've been playing spot the normal family from the balcony. Takes a few minutes before one appears to be fair.

My daughter is already planning a girl's day out here.

She's 14. And won't be coming, obvs.

I was taken to Blackpool from Nottingham in August 1956, as a companion to the only child of a couple of close neighbours. I was 7.

We stayed in a boarding house.

The food was edible but unexciting.

The weather was spectacularly bad, with Summer Gales and 'overtopping', tearing benches up from the 'prom', and smashing up the boats in the boating lake. As a result, we spent little time on the beach... mostly finding assorted sea fishing tackle washed up by the gales.

We spent most afternoons on the pier watching the 'Uncle Peter Show' ..which consisted mostly of precocious kids doing impressions of popular 'turns' of the day. (Hilda Baker and her stooge.. " She knows you know.." and a young girl doing the Ruby Murray version of 'Softly, Softly'...complete with croaky voice.. quite nauseating...)

Some unutterably selfish b***ard decided to sneak up behind us and, without warning, fire up a full set of bagpipes right behind us before marching down the aisle and onto the stage. Undoubtedly the cause of my Tinnitus.., not to mention life long anxiety.. and proof that the Scots have always been a bloody nuisance in Blackpool. ;)

We also did the Tower Circus..where I was suitably terrified by the act which used wild animals, with no barrier between them and the audience. I don't recall quite what. It wasn't lions.. but it was bears or somesuch. Scarred me for life.

Needless to say. I have never been back to Blackpool.. despite living less than an hour's drive away for 50 years.

I've only ever been there as a nipper to see the illuminations. In the days before colour TV, this was hi-tech. Not that I remember anything about them. My only memory of such trips was listening to 'Battle of the Giants' on Radio Luxembourg in the coach on the way back to Liverpool.

Does the beach still smell of shit and is the sea still dark brown?

They rebuilt the sewers back in the 90s - it was a big civil engineering project at the time. Beautiful beach but it's been a fighting town for a long time now. It has some of the worst longterm unemployment and public health figures in the country for obesity, smoking, anti-depressants, liver disease etc etc.

went once for a night out in the mid 1980s when i was a student in Leeds. Terrible place..... preferred Whitby

First wife lived round the bend in Southport so visited Blackpool many time in the nineties.
If its still going, the Grand National is a must.

went once for a night out in the mid 1980s when i was a student in Leeds. Terrible place..... preferred Whitby
I've just got back from a couple of nights in Whitby. Most people wore masks when going into shops and cafes. I did't see much rowdiness. There were a lot of very overweight people, dressed in such a way as to emphasise their avoirdupois, their tattoos and their sunburn. A lot of dogs too, but the owners seemed very responsible.
I saw a surprising number of signs on the doors of restaurants, cafes, hairdressers and other businesses saying that they were closed because of staff having to self-isolate.
I had a salad for lunch yesterday. Sadly, in the evening the Fisherman's Wife was out of lobsters and much other seafood so I had to have fish and chips, probably the best I've ever had. Add to that shorter queues than at The Magpie and a sea view, and it's now my Whitby fish restaurant of choice.

As a portuguese, born and raised in the Algarve coastline, visiting Blackpool gave me a good idea of how bad the UK could be.

Reactions: BJP

advertisement

Back