advertisement

Any love for Royd Speakers these days?

timpy

Speaker Abuser
Nearly 20 years ago, when I was first here, I seem to remember quite a number of Royd speaker users. I also seem to remember them being quite expensive and sought after on the used market at the time. This doesn't seem to be the case so much now. Just wondering if they've been usurped or retired, or if everyone has a couple of pairs in the back of the wardrobe but they are not their main speakers anymore?

Much to my shame as a self confessed serial speaker abuser, I've never actually owned any. I've heard a few, A7, Minstrels, Doublets and a late quite expensive standpoint model the name of which escapes me but never actually owned any of them.

Yep lots of love for them, Sapphire owner here, I will never sell them… I would give house room to more Royd speakers too, wouldn’t mind picking up a clean pair of Minstrels.

Currently run RR3s, and have a pair of Sorcerers upstairs.

I sold my Minstrels and Sapphire MK1s to some happy owners, which were also great fun.

Quite a few Royd fans on PFM. :)

It was thinking about Minstrels that started me off in fact. Local to me is a nice pair for sale for £100, but they're had their main driver replaced. But for the same Emporium seem to have slightly cosmetically flawed pair but with the proper drivers. Which means for £200.....

But I seemed to remember they used to be more than that, years ago.

I had a small pair years ago. Lovely sounding, but the main drivers simply perished. I sold them on EBay, had a chap turn up to collect them and I gave the drivers a poke to show they were fine. Put a hole straight threw the driver, and I mean a big hole.
I simply gave the chap the speakers for the inconvenience.

Great speakers but they are old and a lot of them may be in the bin now.

Which is a pity really.
Lots of potential to develop further but Joe closed business up to retirement, no idea if he did any attempt to sell on.
No spares available apart from some tweeters probably sourced elsewhere.

I believe none of these speakers has become silly expensive due to demand, maybe apart from Sorcerers SE which may have been very limited made.

Good memories of the RR1s I auditioned back in 2001 or so. I ended up with Naim Intro 2s, but actually the Royds would probably have made more sense given the small size of the room I had then. I seem to recall that the Intros were slightly more convincing with loud orchestral music, in terms of having the dynamic headroom, but the Royds I think probably had lovelier mids - and looked better. Should have got them both!!

I still have my RR3's, changed tweeters (ferrofluid thing, it seems) a couple of years ago.

Currently used as, hold your breath, make do sub's for Kef R100's!

Nearly 20 years ago, when I was first here, I seem to remember quite a number of Royd speaker users. I also seem to remember them being quite expensive and sought after on the used market at the time. This doesn't seem to be the case so much now. Just wondering if they've been usurped or retired, or if everyone has a couple of pairs in the back of the wardrobe but they are not their main speakers anymore?

Much to my shame as a self confessed serial speaker abuser, I've never actually owned any. I've heard a few, A7, Minstrels, Doublets and a late quite expensive standpoint model the name of which escapes me but never actually owned any of them.
'The Albion'?

I've a pair here with original stands that I picked up for next to naught from the mate of a lad that used to work at the former local dealership. The asking price was so low that I figured there had to be more than one driver blown and/or suffering from voice coil stiction. I thought, why not, as any drivers that do work and/or can be freed up would be great to have on hand as spares. Before I even contacted the seller, he had reduced his asking price by 25%, so I arranged to check them out, and, to my surprise, they worked perfectly. The cabinets and stands were more than a bit scared so I managed to talk him down another 25% of his original price. Seems he was desperate to raise some extra money to go hunt'in, shoot'in, and kill'in cloven hoofed fur bearing mammals up nor'.

To say that 'The Albion' are built like the proverbial brick bog is a gross understatement. Also, they are what Royd 7 litre fans will have dream't of having whilst listening; specifically, that Royd sound but with real bass and scale; fully capable of flapping ones trouser legs whilst still maintaining that Royd speed and 'bounce'.

IIRC, It was our @Mike Hanson who was among the first to wax lyrical about 'The Albion', both on here and on the Naim forum. It was his endorsements that had me...naw, I would have had them regardless.

P.S. One need be careful when considering second hand Royd models. I've seen more than a few advertised with other than Royd bass/mid drivers. There was even a dealer ad on Canuck Audio Mart recently claiming 'These beauties have the Peerless woofers', as if that were normal.

You could always look out for mk1 Rega Ela (fully fluted version) - they do come up on eBay from time to time (at low price imo)

advertisement

Back